US Air or American Airlines

rob6465

You are aware that while not yet fully integrated, that US Air is American airlines.

They did this thing called a merger a while back, and in time will paint all their planes in that horrific, new American Airlines livery. :eek:

Which works best for you? Otherwise flip a coin; it is the same company.

Edited by loubetti

Hi Rob :)

We are flying into Miami very soon for an upcoming voyage.

In regards to our flights, I found better rates booking one way using both airlines that have merged.

Flying American to Miami. Flying US Airways from Miami to home.

We saved almost $250.

Before you book round trip airfare it can't hurt to check one way flights 1st.

Have a terrific day!

:)

Thanks...did not know that. Looking at a Roundtrip from houston to miami for $660 for 2

I'm seeing Delta at $362 RT on 12/4 return 12/12 assuming this is for the December trip from past posts. and now I've found a $346 one stop on the way back with American/US Air.

Edited by SnorkelBoy
more info

No - still operating under two air operator's certificates, so with two sets of flight numbers. Eventually, "US" flight numbers will disappear.

No - re-read my post. I was taking about continental and ual's merger being complete. I don't fly either airline, so was in error assuming Houston is still a Continental hub.

Edited by lido deck larry

You are aware that while not yet fully integrated, that US Air is American airlines.

They did this thing called a merger a while back, and in time will paint all their planes in that horrific, new American Airlines livery. :eek:

Which works best for you? Otherwise flip a coin; it is the same company.

I wish they would have stuck with the old AA livery. Still love the unpainted polished metal look. I did read somewhere that one of the reasons for the change was the new 787's have to be painted. :(

I did read somewhere that one of the reasons for the change was the new 787's have to be painted. :(

The 787 fuselage is composite carbon fiber. Composite materials must be protected from ultraviolet in sunlight, which is very severe at high altitude. Also the unpainted natural color is either black or gold depending on the material, so the "polished aluminum" look wouldn't happen anyway.

AA's old A300's were painted gray, even though the fuselage was aluminum. The grain of skin panels on Airbus planes are not all in the same direction like they are on Boeings. An unpainted Airbus would look like a patchwork quilt.

The 787 fuselage is composite carbon fiber. Composite materials must be protected from ultraviolet in sunlight, which is very severe at high altitude. Also the unpainted natural color is either black or gold depending on the material, so the "polished aluminum" look wouldn't happen anyway.

AA's old A300's were painted gray, even though the fuselage was aluminum. The grain of skin panels on Airbus planes are not all in the same direction like they are on Boeings. An unpainted Airbus would look like a patchwork quilt.

thanks, I am glad I wasn't dreaming and actually did read this.:)

Edited by TruckerDave

Planes are always painted, even if they don't look like it (such as AAs old scheme). Paint helps prevent rust. Aircraft get repainted on a fairly regular basis - usually just in the same scheme. But repainting is an opportunity to introduce a new scheme.

I remember United got some flack for introducing a new paint scheme during bankruptcy. People cried "how could they spend all that money to repaint planes in bankruptcy?!?!" not realizing planes need regular repainting as a form of corrosion prevention.

All things being equal, if the price is the same, I'd look at the plane interior/seating/underseat IFE equipment to pick my flight.

Flew DFW-LHR and LHR-LAX on AA on their 777 a few years ago. Both times, my seats had the nasty underseat IFE box. It literally took up all the underseat space in front of me!!! Try flying that distance with NO foot space!!!!!

All things being equal, if the price is the same, I'd look at the plane interior/seating/underseat IFE equipment to pick my flight.

Flew DFW-LHR and LHR-LAX on AA on their 777 a few years ago. Both times, my seats had the nasty underseat IFE box. It literally took up all the underseat space in front of me!!! Try flying that distance with NO foot space!!!!!

Of course, some folks would put the airline in a no-win situation. Either "there was no legroom with the IFE box" or "we only had the overhead movie screen - how ancient".

As to the meat of your comment....absolutely true. Even if the price were different, I'd evaluate as many factors as possible....equipment, seating, IFE, catering, routing, times and more. There have been times when I've paid more to get a particular aircraft, or to avoid one!! Ditto on connecting through a favored airport.

Gotta take it all into consideration - and process it against YOUR preferences.

Of course, some folks would put the airline in a no-win situation. Either "there was no legroom with the IFE box" or "we only had the overhead movie screen - how ancient".

As to the meat of your comment....absolutely true. Even if the price were different, I'd evaluate as many factors as possible....equipment, seating, IFE, catering, routing, times and more. There have been times when I've paid more to get a particular aircraft, or to avoid one!! Ditto on connecting through a favored airport.

Gotta take it all into consideration - and process it against YOUR preferences.

I don't really care about on-board entertainment. I bring my own (have Bose and tablet, will travel) ;) After that one hellish trip on AA with the box, I'd gladly have the ancient screen to have space to actually put my feet!

If traveling cattle class, I'm not sure catering would come into play. My big thing is whether or not the FAs circulate through the cabin with water throughout the flight - a nice touch. Coach meal is coach meal. Unless you know of some that stand out above the rest. Actually my best coach meal was on Kenya Airways, out of LHR to Nairobi. A very good lamb curry was served. Next trip - get to experience the Italian dinner on Alitalia in Magnifica class.

Edited by slidergirl

• 4 weeks later...

I remember when America West was merged with US Airways and would fly them to Phoenix and ABQ and got UA Miles for the trip. Then US Airways took away their IFE and now with AA will have IFE again and thus earn AAdvantage Miles.

The same was with Reno Air and TWA.