Equinox Sunset Verandah Question

GeorgiaPeach51

We are close to booking our first Celebrity cruise, on the Equinox. We are contemplating Sunset Verandah Cabins 8338 and 8340. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of this type of cabin?

I understand from the posts and replies that they are a long way from the elevators, but we tend to think that you end up walking alot on ships anyhow. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for the heads-up on the exposed balconies for those cabins. We would HATE that. We were just on a ship where people had that misfortune, and we felt badly for them, though maybe they picked them. Can't imagine why, with the blazing sun all day, no shelter and prying eyes, even if other passengers don't mean to look! Back to the drawing board....:(

We are close to booking our first Celebrity cruise, on the Equinox. We are contemplating Sunset Verandah Cabins 8338 and 8340. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of this type of cabin?

I understand from the posts and replies that they are a long way from the elevators, but we tend to think that you end up walking alot on ships anyhow. Any help would be much appreciated.

We were on one of the Aft cabins on the Inaugural of the Solstice in November and did not feel as though people were looking down from above. I don't remember off hand what cabin it was but it was in the center Aft.

Unfortunately the Aft balconies on the Solstice Class ships are not the mega size ones on the Constellation ships. There are a few larger than others but overall most are the size of the regular cabins.

We liked it but have booked another cabin with a larger balcony on the bump out for a cruise in 2010 on the Equinox. Off to Tahiti this summer.

We still enjoyed the aft and felt very private and alone back there. It is a hike to the back of the "bus" without the benefit of the mega size. If the size was really big I would do it again. But if you just want a larger balcony look for the ones mid ship as the ship angles.

Sue

Thanks for the photo. Big help. Still a no. And thanks, Sue, for your perspective. We travel with my twin sister and our husbands and always get adjacent cabins. Equinox seems pretty booked re: adjacents already, even though it's a year out, so we may not be able to make Celebrity happen. TA is working on it. Thanks to all who replied!

I remember standing at the rail of the Sunset Bar on the very top and being able to look down into all the aft balconies. The only balconies that were private were the Resort Deck (deck12) balconies. I wish I would have taken a picture to show what I saw, but here is a picture of the stern. You can see the slope.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2517054210080150150srPoDJ

BTW, feel free to browse all the photos in that album. I took a lot of photos on board the Solstice.

We were in 8340 and our friends in 8338 on the Solstice. The balcony on 40 is larger than 38. It is wider..they are the same depth

Pros...Looking at the wake...priceless

We look at the walk to the elevator as exercise. The walk onlt takes a minute or so.

No big deal

Cons.. More costly

Occasional soot from the stack on deck

We have booked 8340 on the Equinox for our Feb 2010 cruise

Pa 8340 has bed near balcony. 8338 has bed near door.

Re "lack of privacy" on aft balconies.....we were in cabin #9382 Feb/09....the only time you are viewed from above (or below) is when standing at the rail (note Celebrityman picture). Table/chair configuration allows for total privacy unless you pull it up to the rail and almost sit on top of it. I wouldn't let this concern dissuade me from enjoying the wake view. IMHO.

FYI: #9382 and those above/below have the largest aft balconies.

Wondering if you would mind advising us what cabin location you would request next time. We are thinking of sailing Equinox in 2010 and were thinking of a Concierge Class cabin (we recently sailed on Millennium in CC class)? From all accounts I have read so far, it appears aft cabins are not popular on equinox, we normally prefer midships towards stern.

I remember standing at the rail of the Sunset Bar on the very top and being able to look down into all the aft balconies. The only balconies that were private were the Resort Deck (deck12) balconies. I wish I would have taken a picture to show what I saw, but here is a picture of the stern. You can see the slope.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2517054210080150150srPoDJ

BTW, feel free to browse all the photos in that album. I took a lot of photos on board the Solstice.

Thanks so much...GREAT photos! Very helpful. We have ultimately booked adjacent rooms, 9266 and 9268 on the Equinox for May 14, 2010. This shows my lack of experience with booking cruises....I kept looking at the Celebrity website and "booking" to find available rooms at our price point. But I could never find any that had adjacent rooms available. :( When we called our TA he explained that they fill the ship from the middle out, and they tend to show only certain rooms....apparently a mixture of doubles and triples, etc. So there's actually alot more rooms available than I thought. Of course, our TA was easily able to find us adjacent rooms. :) Thanks to all who answered my original question re: aft cabins!

Archived