Easier on a certain line?

vxv0409

Have any of you found it's easier to travel solo on Norwegian vs Carnival or Royal Caribbean because of the solo cabins on Norwegian?

I research like crazy and was SO excited for the Norwegian Breakway in May of 2013 but it's $1601 for a week in a studio. There are cruises in late April on RCL out of San Juan for a Southern Caribbean (never been, always wanted) 7 night for $961 for 1 person or $1023 for 2 people.

Clearly the RCL deal is waaay better.. plus it's new ports. The Norwegian stops at Bermuda for 3 days straight.

I would be worried that if a friend cannot travel with me it would be hard to find travel companions without having the solo travel atmoshphere that the studio provides.

Has anyone found this to be true or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

San Juan is a wonderful port to sail out of and often the cruise lines offer very tempting rates for their sailings out of there. Be careful though - airfare to SJO can sometimes be a killer! Add to the airfare the cost of a hotel for at least one night pre-cruise and suddenly the cheap cruise fare isn't quite so cheap anymore.

All I can say is just do your homework and make sure that your eyes are accustomed to watching the costs rise. Other than that, I would suggest you head down to SJO a couple of days pre-cruise and explore that wonderful city. :)

I would stick with the epic though I'm not keen on the Bermuda breakaway itinerary. Ncl got it right with the living room concept. I have asked maitre d's on both ncl and rccl to sit me with others and one told me other passengers don't want strangers at their tables and the other just sat me at a table or two. Besides price I am disappointed next years epic has same itinerary. I was pleasantly surprised last February with costa maya and Roatan, Honduras.

I would stick with the epic though I'm not keen on the Bermuda breakaway itinerary. Ncl got it right with the living room concept. I have asked maitre d's on both ncl and rccl to sit me with others and one told me other passengers don't want strangers at their tables and the other just sat me at a table or two. Besides price I am disappointed next years epic has same itinerary. I was pleasantly surprised last February with costa maya and Roatan, Honduras.

Thanks for the great post. I couldn't find a great Epic itinerany at the time I plan to sail. I'm in college and will graduate may of 13 and thought a cruise would be a nice gift to myself. I wish I had an any time travel option as I would do southern Caribbean.

Thanks for sharing about your dining experiences. Who doesn't want to meet people? I mean I understand if you're on a honeymoon or there's no room lol.

:)

RCI is a nice line, but I felt as though the what the Epic offers is much better for solo travellers.

In fact given that the Breakaway only has 59 studios I am somewhat apprehensive about following through on it.

What is valuable about the Epic is that come 5:30 you have the studio gathering and then dinner with people; it frees you up in the afternoon to have a little "you" time if you want it, given that you have the security of seeing people later on,

your question is the exact question i just answered for myself. my first solo cruise was in october on NCL (NYC to bermuda--i posted a rather long review of it on the NCL board) and i LOVED IT. best trip ever, solo or otherwise. i just got off of an RCI cruise on sunday--New orleans to western caribbean. so i have the ability to compare both solo experiences, and in fact i plan to post about it at length (both on here and on my blog) but the short answer is yes--the line does matter. a lot. i'd sail on NCL again solo (if i cruise again, but that's another story. google RCI voyager of the seas january 28th and you'll understand why...) i will never sail RCI again solo. the structure just isn't there for friend-making (i credit the dining system in part, as well as the structure of the ship and the common areas--again, will be posting at lenght and will put all links on this board). and honestly, i realize this isn't something the cruise line can control (so i'm not complaining about RCI) but the people were WAY less open to a solo traveler. and the dining situation kind of stank--and i tried traditional AND my time dining (switched after the first dinner).

Have any of you found it's easier to travel solo on Norwegian vs Carnival or Royal Caribbean because of the solo cabins on Norwegian?

I research like crazy and was SO excited for the Norwegian Breakway in May of 2013 but it's $1601 for a week in a studio. There are cruises in late April on RCL out of San Juan for a Southern Caribbean (never been, always wanted) 7 night for $961 for 1 person or $1023 for 2 people.

Clearly the RCL deal is waaay better.. plus it's new ports. The Norwegian stops at Bermuda for 3 days straight.

I would be worried that if a friend cannot travel with me it would be hard to find travel companions without having the solo travel atmoshphere that the studio provides.

Has anyone found this to be true or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

I have cruised solo on all three cruise lines that you mentioned. I have never been in NCL's solo cabins. But I have never had trouble meeting other solo cruisers aboard. They all have their good and bad so doing research and finding the right fit for you is what is important. But I have found for me Carnival does a better job of putting me with other solo cruisers for dinner. I am usually at a large table for 8-10 and they are all solo cruisers.

Hope this helps you some.

Archived