Reykjavik Car Rental Help Needed

We are stopping over in Reykjavik in July on our way to Europe for a Baltic Cruise, and want to rent a car for a couple of days. I've checked out a few of the major North American rental companies and...wow!...the prices are crazy. I have read on CC that local rental places may be the way to go, and am hoping that someone has rented through one of these agencies and has had positive experiences and can give me a recommendation.

Our travel party is 4, with 4 large suitcases, and a backpack each. I've looked at some of the local rental places and am not familiar with some of the makes/models of the cars being rented. We don't plan on doing any off-roading, or off the beaten path driving, but need the passenger and storage space for all of us.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi- We rented a car in 2015 Month of September. We checked online for prices for about 6 months. The prices did not change. It was just super expensive. The gasoline was also very expensive. If you track it and see a small drop just reserve it. You can still keep tracking it and if something else comes up then reserve the new one and cancel the old one.

Good Luck and Have fun. It was amazing driving around for several days. If you decide to go to the blue lagoon make a reservations weeks or months in advance. When we went we saw many people turned away because they did not have reservations and there was no availability for severa days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After lots of research on this, we have booked Europcar for Reykjavik. They have a pick up and drop off at the port and the price was pretty good compared to the other options (a lot cheaper than Avis which is usually our choice).

I researched a lot, and finally decided to go with Dollar/Thrifty, booked through Travelocity, although I can't say for sure if that's a wise choice, as we haven't used them yet! I also considered a local consolidator company (Reykjavik Cars, I think - can google them) that was mentioned by a number of people. I decided to stay away from places like Geysir even though some of the smaller local companies were a little cheaper. With Dollar on Travelocity, for two days, compact 4 or 5 door Mazda 3 or similar, manual, I have a reservation for $164. That includes gas and unlimited miles, return full. I decided to add an additional driver, bringing total to 19,559 ISK, around $174. Most rental places are off-airport, although I don't think very far. Dollar says their place is a 2 minute shuttle bus ride away.

After lots of research on this, we have booked Europcar for Reykjavik. They have a pick up and drop off at the port and the price was pretty good compared to the other options (a lot cheaper than Avis which is usually our choice).

Haven't used Europcar in Iceland, but have in other cities in Europe. Never had a bad experience.

We used Hertz at KEF and it's the only time we've ever had anyone check the underside of the car and charge us for damage. Luckily the insurance through our AMEX handled everything. Considering we were never off road and never hit a curb or anything (and the supposed scrapes were underneath the passenger door, not the bumpers), the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

We booked an SUV through Avis at the airport with return in Reykjavik. We are Avis Chairmen so with the discount the price was similar to Europcar. I couldn't get accurate info from Europcar as to how late they would be open in town on the return. Their info was vague so we went with Avis.

We are flying to Iceland tomorrow and will be renting a 9 seater van for 3 days. Cost will be $1000. They seem to have decent reviews so we will see? Remember to take pictures and that food is supposed to be expensive so we may have too go hungry till the cruise.

We used Hertz at KEF and it's the only time we've ever had anyone check the underside of the car and charge us for damage. Luckily the insurance through our AMEX handled everything. Considering we were never off road and never hit a curb or anything (and the supposed scrapes were underneath the passenger door, not the bumpers), the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had read a review about Hertz doing stuff like that (which ruled them out), as well as other dealers there. We chose Dollar - I have used them before in the states, and they seem to have mixed, but mostly good reviews.

Renting a car in Reykjavik was a harder decision than choosing an airline or hotel for our vacation. Seriously, the city is expensive enough without having these international corporations scam you as well.

We used Europcar last August...and have booked with them again for another visit this coming August. They bring the cars to the port so that one simply does the paperwork, gets the keys, walks to the car...and away you go :). Many of the other agencies do have small offices at the port, but shuttle their customers to their office at a different location. Prices in Iceland are quite high, but that is simply the nature of their economy and fallen currency. On the other hand, a $120 rental for a full day is usually less costly then excursions (especially if you put 4 in a car) and gives you complete independence.

Hank

I just did the exact same thing. I'm going to be in Reykjavik for 2 days in July on a cruise and rented a car from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM on day 1. I plan to go out to Snaefellsness Peninsula. Couldn't find a tour for that day.

We used Blue Car Rental 2 years ago on return to the US from a Norway cruise. We stayed 6 days in Iceland. We were very pleased with Blue Car. There were not just helpful with the rental but they were awesome pre-vacation and help me plan some excursions by giving local advice.

Our next time to Iceland is this July on Iceland Pro-Cruises, but if I had to rent a car again we would definitely rent with Blue Car again

Enjoy your trip!