Excited about the Sapphire Princess

Bently57

I know it is far from being a new ship, but I have always wanted to take a trip on the Sapphire, and now we are going to do just that! It has always been in Asia or some far flung continent. And this is Europe, but from Southampton in June 2018. We had a chance a few years ago on the Grand, but we have been on that ship countless times and just couldn't get enthused about it...so we cancelled.

If you can tell me anything unique or fun things about it, it is much appreciated.

I was also really happy to see the Sapphire moving to places where we might actually be able to cruise on her again! We took our very first cruise (to Alaska) on the Sapphire in 2006. I can't tell you anything fun or exciting about her, but hopefully others will chime in. My memories of her were wonderful -- of course -- since it was our first cruise!

We spent 28 days on the Sapphire Princess several years ago and loved the ship. We will sail on her again now that she will be out of Asia. We really like how each of the amidships main dining rooms were divided into two separate dining rooms. That made dining there quieter and more comfortable. Can't recall anything we did not like about the ship.

I know it is far from being a new ship, but I have always wanted to take a trip on the Sapphire, and now we are going to do just that! It has always been in Asia or some far flung continent. And this is Europe, but from Southampton in June 2018. We had a chance a few years ago on the Grand, but we have been on that ship countless times and just couldn't get enthused about it...so we cancelled.

If you can tell me anything unique or fun things about it, it is much appreciated.

I love the Sapphire. I can't comment on the interior any longer as it has been refurbished for the Asia market. What I do love is that the Sapphire has a wide Promenade deck with full loungers. It feels like an Oceanliner when you are on Promenade. It also has both an open air pool and a pool with an enclosed top.

I hope you enjoy the Sapphire. I'm so excited to be sailing her in 2018.

I also love Sapphire...she was our first Princess ship taking us for the first time to Alaska. There wasn't anything I didn't like but what stands out for me is the beautiful covered pool...the colors of blue and cream was very relaxing. We would get an ice cream and sit and enjoy the pool area which was mostly empty for that cruise.

I love the Sapphire. I can't comment on the interior any longer as it has been refurbished for the Asia market. What I do love is that the Sapphire has a wide Promenade deck with full loungers. It feels like an Oceanliner when you are on Promenade. It also has both an open air pool and a pool with an enclosed top.

I hope you enjoy the Sapphire. I'm so excited to be sailing her in 2018.

I'm another big fan of the Sapphire which will have a drydock in Shanghai before deploying to Europe for a summer 2018 season including our Norway cruise. :D

I know that the Sapphire's sister ship the Diamond was greatly renovated for the Asian market however the only change I am aware of on the Sapphire was adding flat panel HDTVs and the on-demand entertainment system.

I know that the Sapphire's sister ship the Diamond was greatly renovated for the Asian market however the only change I am aware of on the Sapphire was adding flat panel HDTVs and the on-demand entertainment system.

Yes... I think lovevavadays has the Diamond and the Sapphire mixed up.

Edited by Bill B

She was my first Princess ship and will always be a favorite of mine.

Something you may not know is she was origanally supposed to be the Diamond, which was supposed to launch first, but due to a fire during construction, the original ship that was supposed to be the Sapphire became the Diamond, and once repairs and construction was completed the ship that was supposed to be the Diamond became the Sapphire. Some say she is haunted by the construction workers who lost their lives in that fire.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edited by BassettMom

I remember seeing them side by side under construction in the Mitsubishi yards as we sailed into Nagasaki on the old Regal Princess in 2002. At the time, I wondered if I would ever get to sail on one. Now, I've done three cruises on the Diamond and two on the Sapphire. The only thing that haunted me was the thought they might run out of beer. ;)

I'm another big fan of the Sapphire which will have a drydock in Shanghai before deploying to Europe for a summer 2018 season including our Norway cruise. :D

Sapphire is a great ship. We are on her next year in May for a Norway cruise as well. Will be our third time on her. Big and beautiful.

mummsie

We were on Sapphire out of Singapore a few years ago and also loved her.

If you are wanting a lovely quiet spot during the day, with amazing views, head up to Skywalkers. Take the aft lift to the very top then walk the stairs up even further. The first time you do it you'll swear you're lost, but keep going! There is a back entrance but you will have others curious and following you! So if you want the space all to yourself...sneak in from the lift side 😉

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Yes... I think lovevavadays has the Diamond and the Sapphire mixed up.

Evidently, I dont know what I'm talking about. I will try and be more careful before I post. :)I thought both the Sapphire and Diamond were refurbished for the Asian market. Nice to know the Sapphire will be the amazing ship I remember.

She is going to be my first Princess ship next July and I could not be more excited. Thanks for the tips so far!

Our most recent Sapphire cruise was in January 2014 and during that cruise in preparation for deployment to Asia they were installing flat panel big screen (40"?) TVs. I haven't sailed the ship since then but as I recall they also upgraded the entertainment system to include on demand programming similar to Royal-class ships. Hopefully someone who has sailed the Sapphire since then can verify if that system was installed. A covered wider Promenade deck that circles the ship & a covered pool area should be great in Norway sailing as far north as the Arctic Circle.

Looking at a website for drydock information there's nothing specific about what will be done during the March 2018 drydock before deploying to Europe for the summer. The Sapphire will be a great ship for our 2 week Norway cruise prior to your July cruise. :D

Our most recent Sapphire cruise was in January 2014 and during that cruise in preparation for deployment to Asia they were installing flat panel big screen (40"?) TVs. I haven't sailed the ship since then but as I recall they also upgraded the entertainment system to include on demand programming similar to Royal-class ships. Hopefully someone who has sailed the Sapphire since then can verify if that system was installed. A covered wider Promenade deck that circles the ship & a covered pool area should be great in Norway sailing as far north as the Arctic Circle.

Looking at a website for drydock information there's nothing specific about what will be done during the March 2018 drydock before deploying to Europe for the summer. The Sapphire will be a great ship for our 2 week Norway cruise prior to your July cruise. :D

From my understanding, when she is in dry dock, they will be upgrading the beds to the new Princess beds, something else I am super excited about because I do love a good mattress. Not sure on anything else, but I bet someone on here knows.

:D

I so wanted to book the Norway trip but it did not fit in with the school holidays or the International Scout Jamboree... yup my holiday plans have to fit around the social and school lives of my two sons!

Please do let me know what you think of the ship in general and how wonderful your cruise was! :hearteyes:

We were on board the Sapphire in March 2014 when they were finishing the upgrades to the TV's and installing the on demand system which was working while we were onboard.

After we got off they were supposed to do some major renovation to the boutiques as well changing over to high end stuff for the Asian market. Never did see any after pictures or reports.

We were on board the Sapphire in March 2014 when they were finishing the upgrades to the TV's and installing the on demand system which was working while we were onboard.

After we got off they were supposed to do some major renovation to the boutiques as well changing over to high end stuff for the Asian market. Never did see any after pictures or reports.

Thanks Keith for confirming my recollection about the on demand system.

With a 2 week drydock it'll be interesting to learn about what's being planned...wonder if any of the recent dining changes made on the Caribbean will be part of the drydock? :confused: Although lacking the Cafe Caribe area on larger Grand-class ships they may not add Planks & Steamers. They could easily modify Prego pizza & Trident Grill into Slice & Salty Dog Grill which based on the menus might be a good change. Although since the ship is in Asia for most of the year it could be more like it's sister ship the Diamond received.

Wonder why we haven't read anything specific about the drydock beginning in 8 months. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

From my understanding, when she is in dry dock, they will be upgrading the beds to the new Princess beds, something else I am super excited about because I do love a good mattress. Not sure on anything else, but I bet someone on here knows.

:D

I so wanted to book the Norway trip but it did not fit in with the school holidays or the International Scout Jamboree... yup my holiday plans have to fit around the social and school lives of my two sons!

Please do let me know what you think of the ship in general and how wonderful your cruise was! :hearteyes:

Ah yes...the Princess website shows the luxury beds being added in March 2018. :D

I'm hoping they'll be as comfortable as I'm reading about on this forum. Comfort is subjective but Princess mattresses have been a weak spot (pun intended) for as long as I can remember. The pillowtops on the Royal & Regal were an improvement & hoping the luxury beds will result in a long term better mattresses. ;)

I understand why you're unable to sail on the Norway cruise which now that we're retired we are able to go there...enjoy your cruise & I'm expecting to do the same thing on our cruise. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer