Delayed NCL Escape Review - Cruise PTSD easing...

L1211

Time to wrap up this saga! Friday was wonderful, we had dinner at Le Bistro and we loved it. I know, that is the theme of this review but we just had wonderful food and service and you know, it really takes both to have a great dining experience. NCL's wait teams were just top notch and the food outstanding. My husband has a bias against french food for reasons I just don't understand, We don't eat a lot of french food and while we've lived abroad, it was Asia - again I say, not a lot of french cuisine. So, on the Getaway in July, we had a reservation for Le Bistro but we canceled and went back to Ocean Blue for a second night. It was our favorite (girls fav remains Cagney's). But, the girls liked the "little french tables" outside the restaurant and that seemed to be as good as any other reason for a "must visit" dinner.

First course at Le Bistro could have been a meal! DH and one DD had french onion soup -very filling and both loved it, the other DD had a salad, nothing I can recall... But, I had a seafood medley that was to die for! It was entree sized and I'm not kidding. A beautifully arranged plate of shrimp, lobster, scallops, asparagus, puffed pastry and a lobster sauce. Yes, it was as good as it sounds! I highly recommend it., I wanted to try the mushroom soup which I understand they are known for, but the seafood got me and did not disappoint!

For entrees, I had the Dover Sole - I was just sure there was no way it could compete with Ocean Blue but I was wrong, It was great. Here's a huge shocker, the DDs both had a filet with a peppercorn sauce, I believe. Both loved it. We eat nearly zero meat at home (exactly NONE now!) so they took full advantage. Both are athletes and have huge appetites. Part of the fun on this trip was seeing how much they enjoyed these well prepared NCL specialty dining dinners - that and the buffet! DH had duck I believe and also enjoyed. Evening ended with music and dancing followed by packing and sadness - cruise we'd never forget was just about over.

What a great review. I will be on the Escape in Aug and love reading others views on the ship

Right, You Only Live Once! Me too - either fuels the anticipation or to relive wonderful memories!

The evening ended with more dancing, singing, and sadness as our cruise drew to an end. Morning was uneventful, quick buffet breakfast and easy walk off. We needed a quick disembarkation, we had flights to catch - north of Orlando! Yep, I booked the cruise late, about 4 weeks out. Cruise price reasonable, rooms we wanted available and of course, made payment in full due to date of booking. Then, I looked at flights - ouch! Nearly as much as the cruise! No kidding, I guess the Christmas Eve return was driving up the price. I waited a couple of weeks and it only got worse.

So, I made a crazy decision and booked Allegiant Air - anyone know them? Very low cost but Interesting airline. They didn't fly out of Louisville, where we live, had to drive to Lexington. Arrived Sanford airport north of Orlando about six PM on the Friday night prior to the cruise, Had to drive to then Miami. DH dropped us off at hotel, back to MIA and uber to hotel. Long, long night, but DH is pretty laid back and it all worked. On the return, we needed to be in the rental car at MIA by 8:30AM. Easy and quick walk off and it was a breeze! We made it to Stanford in time for our 2:30 flight. We had big Christmas Eve plans, all my sisters and their families were in town and big party at the parents - it is our favorite night of the year!

After delay, delay, delay, our flight was canceled. If you know Allegiant, you know what that means - they don't have replacement planes or later flights, They go where they go one time per day. If they don't go when planned, they don't go. The flight was rescheduled for late the following day - Christmas Day. Again I say, "Are you kidding me?" When is enough, enough?? Well, I manged to get the family on a later flight to Cincinnati, OH, rent a car and drive to Louisville, and home by midnight. Yep, missed the family Christmas party and had no luggage. But, hey, it could be worse, many families did not make it home that night, Again I say, count your blessings... But, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was getting tired!

And the final installment and the final "no way" of the fateful trip - I was not feeling well in Christmas day. Tired I expected, or the flu the family had on the ship? By the next day, I was pretty sick, but it wasn't till later that my IV site from the Med Center on the cruise started to turn red. Once it started getting bad, it went fast. Off to the doctor and they sent me to the ER. I'm an optimistic person so I went to ER alone, parked in valet - only planned to be there a couple of hours. FIVE DAYS LATER, the security guard was gracious and pulled my car out of valet for me. Yep, spent five days in the hospital with MRSA infection and a vein thrombosis both in the IV site. I have to think - hmmm, an IV in your arm, lightly wrapped, and walking about a mega ship with 5000 new friends - who could have seen that happening??? Also, the hospital in St Thomas used the same IV so it was open and in my arm for over two days. And, as soon as removed, I was on waterslides - within about an hour, So, maybe it was inevitable, but what a terrible way to end that vacation! Yep, I'm recovered now, but it has taken quite some time. I don't wish that on anyone. But, the misery has faded and considering my next cruise. I thank those of you who went on this fateful trip revisit with me!

Oh my goodness! Five days in the hospital sound serious. Thanks for sharing your story. I can see why you needed time before sharing! Sounds like you should order seafood dishes on your next cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are indomitable and have the best attitudes about life, family and NCL cruising. Patience and persistence will get you through the insurance process. What a great story of tenacity in pursuing a family vacation that you will surely never forget for all the right and "wrong" reasons. Good luck planning your next NCL cruise with a lot fewer medical issues!

PS I have sisters like yours... and instantly felt you were in good hands when they starting working on your problems from afar. :)

It's been enjoyable reading your story, I'm glad you are well now and I'm sure you will have many better cruises ahead for you and your family!!

Thank you spotfish!

Oh my goodness! Five days in the hospital sound serious. Thanks for sharing your story. I can see why you needed time before sharing! Sounds like you should order seafood dishes on your next cruise!

Thank you Cookie - we're thinking Thanksgiving on the Escape - I feel sure they will have seafood offerings - no turkey for mom!!!

You should probably never leave your house again.

That would be one way to deal with it, ***. I think I'd rather cruise with much better insurance!

You are indomitable and have the best attitudes about life, family and NCL cruising. Patience and persistence will get you through the insurance process. What a great story of tenacity in pursuing a family vacation that you will surely never forget for all the right and "wrong" reasons. Good luck planning your next NCL cruise with a lot fewer medical issues!

PS I have sisters like yours... and instantly felt you were in good hands when they starting working on your problems from afar. :)

Thanks for your kind words and a very good reminder that patience will get me through the insurance process! I keep telling DH I'm paying cash for the next cruise with the insurance reimbursement. The medical center costs were well more than the overall cost of the cruise so it should work - seems fitting somehow! Also appreciate the sister comment - it was so true! they are a wonderful support system and no one loves you like a sister loves you! Glad you have sisters in your corner too!

Wow! Thank you again so much for your review!

MRSA, you are very lucky you were treated at home and not away, too scary.

My mom had cervical and breast cancer treated almost back to back. She ended up getting MRSA and

she said that was worse than having the surgery and being treated for cancer. She was very sick.

Glad you are on the mend and better and never eat meat on vacation again LOL

I was just going to ask you if NCL gave you a detailed breakdown of your medical visit so that you can put your claim in. I see you posted about that. My son had to use out of network drs. while visiting in Georgia and that was a nightmare to get all the information I needed. At least I was able to call the urgent care center and that took about 6 months to settle. We also didn't have to pay up front and the urgent care center waited for us to put our claim in and then at the end lowered our pay out owed to them. What does one do if they don't have the credit limit on their credit card for the medical expenses? What did you mean by paying cash for your next cruise and getting insurance reimbursement?

Glad you are doing okay.

Oh my!!! Loving your review but feeling the pain!

Ohhhhhhhhhh MY Goodness ! Yup !! THE Carnival Mari Grai !! My FIRST cruise 1990 ( I think) ( Riveria deck) So low below decks, I think the porthole was below the waterline ! :) I was flying solo, and CCL paired me w/ total stranger, older man from Houston, Tx.Don't remember much, I slept most the days, even in port. How's that for a 40 year old man ? Pretty boring, huh ? LOL!

Mac

I was just going to ask you if NCL gave you a detailed breakdown of your medical visit so that you can put your claim in. I see you posted about that. My son had to use out of network drs. while visiting in Georgia and that was a nightmare to get all the information I needed. At least I was able to call the urgent care center and that took about 6 months to settle. We also didn't have to pay up front and the urgent care center waited for us to put our claim in and then at the end lowered our pay out owed to them. What does one do if they don't have the credit limit on their credit card for the medical expenses? What did you mean by paying cash for your next cruise and getting insurance reimbursement?

Glad you are doing okay.

That's a really good question! I'm assuming they were charging the Med Center charges to my cabin bill credit card on file as incurred. Don't know what would have happened if card maxed out. Same in St Thomas, would they have admitted me anyway if my card wouldn't pay the full total? Glad I didn't have to find out, but it will make me think Black Card for next cruise! Maybe better travel insurance would help? Something that is primary and comes with off shore assistance? You make me feel better, that was GA and it took that long! I am dealing with a foreign company and bills from sea... once processed, my insurance will pay NCL and they will owe me the fronted cash payment. Well, That is supposed to be how it works... The St Thomas hospital has already refunded a check for the part insurance covered. Perseverance! And I plan to take a cruise with the refund. My motivation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom had cervical and breast cancer treated almost back to back. She ended up getting MRSA and

she said that was worse than having the surgery and being treated for cancer. She was very sick.

You are so right! We were on Western Caribbean in July. Honestly, no matter how bad it got, I kept thinking "this could be Central America! I could be seeking surgery in Belize!" I feel so lucky that St Thomas was our first stop. Could have been much worse.

And I'm so sorry to hear about your momma. Honestly, it is stories like that which remind me to be grateful. My issues came from a cruise, not

Cancer. She's the hero!! I'm hoping she's all better. And seriously on the meat!!! Never!

And I'm so sorry to hear about your momma. Honestly, it is stories like that which remind me to be grateful. My issues came from a cruise, not

Cancer. She's the hero!! I'm hoping she's all better. And seriously on the meat!!! Never!

awww, thank you! Yes, my mom is all better, stays on top of her appointments at Sloane and we just sailed the Getaway in February together and have Disney for September. Oh, and she is coming with my dh and me to HHI in August LOL so she is good to go LOL

Thank you again and yes, keep after the insurance companies. Your motivation is perfect, what do you think you will be booking and what line?

awww, thank you! Yes, my mom is all better, stays on top of her appointments at Sloane and we just sailed the Getaway in February together and have Disney for September. Oh, and she is coming with my dh and me to HHI in August LOL so she is good to go LOL

Thank you again and yes, keep after the insurance companies. Your motivation is perfect, what do you think you will be booking and what line?

You know, I think we will do NCL again. Their ships just seem to work for teens and adults. While I'm surprised my girls didn't run off and make their own friends, I think it was because NCL offer dining and entertainment that we all enjoyed.

You know, I think we will do NCL again. Their ships just seem to work for teens and adults. While I'm surprised my girls didn't run off and make their own friends, I think it was because NCL offer dining and entertainment that we all enjoyed.

Yes we find NCL best for us too with our kids being 23 and 19. In August we sailed on Breakaway and my 23 year old and her boyfriend were with us most nights, at least until about 11 pm or so and then they would go their own way. My ds found a group and hung with them. Sailing with my dh in July for my 50th on Escape and cant wait although leaving the kids at home is a little nervewracking lol.

Thanks again!

I will be checking back with you to see what insurance you bought when you take your next cruise because I know you will get the right insurance that covers everything. Then I will know which insurance to buy in the future. We always buy NCL hopefully we won't need it on our cruise.