Credit Card Charged in error

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:51 AM.
Solihull
1,739 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
If you were affected and complain I feel reasonably sure they will deliver a good will gesture so long as you don't tell anyone they gave it to you - it's what they always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
63 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by Snadgy
These handing companies must comply with PCI DSS compliance Requirement 3 on data protection. Elavon has not failed big stile not fit for purpose!
What does that particular requirement say about a body which legitimately has customer data and then processes it more than once? That's an internal cock-up rather than a data protection breach. Without in any way excusing the inexcusable it's still something which happens now and then, so jumping up and down as if it's a unique event doesn't help anyone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southsea
126 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
If you just stand back and let the Companies do as they please in cases like this...unique or not...they will assume no-one was really upset and deal with it accordingly...you have to make your voice heard even if it is only to get some anger about it out of your system. I do not understand why the victims of this mess should be blamed for having strong feelings about it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie
81 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The payment pending on our bank a/c has disappeared overnight so we now have full access. Since the money was never removed from the a/c there has been no effect to our interest. Since we had enough funds to cover existing commitments this has not impacted our a/c in any way but can sympathise with those who have been badly affected by this shambles. However this has made us wonder if we should make any future payments using our debit/credit cards or use bank transfer instead. Glad ours is sorted but this has been a major PR disaster for Carnivalval.
1 Posts
Joined May 2017
Can I ask - were actual cash withdrawals made or, as in my case (£3000.00), was authorisation sought and cash reserved, thus leading to unavailability of those funds for direct debits, cash withdrawals etc.
All card takers use third party 'Merchants' to process their payments and I am fairly confident that Carnival do not hold card details beyond the time needed to process a payment once. To learn that Elavon are 'required' to hold those details for whatever purpose was a surprise especially as their processes are so obviously error prone. I think I feel a referral to the Information Komissar coming on!
I really feel for Carnival UK, caught in the middle of this s....storm. How they handle the fallout will seriously affect their future customer relations and I'm afraid to say that so far their reaction has demonstrated what many of us knew already - bureaucratic inflexibility rules the waves.
Own the problem.....be open with information.......be generous with those affected. You could come out of it with reputation enhanced. (I won't hold my breath though!)
Finally, all these 'payments' are for cruises, OBC for all affected, say a percentage of the amount claimed in error, would be a generous gesture, and in view of the profit margins for onboard spending would cost little. Claim it back from Elavon, and keep the secret of the result of their internal investigation if you like.
Gt Britain
53 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by SAMMIBLACK
The payment pending on our bank a/c has disappeared overnight so we now have full access. Since the money was never removed from the a/c there has been no effect to our interest. Since we had enough funds to cover existing commitments this has not impacted our a/c in any way but can sympathise with those who have been badly affected by this shambles. However this has made us wonder if we should make any future payments using our debit/credit cards or use bank transfer instead. Glad ours is sorted but this has been a major PR disaster for Carnivalval.
Saw your post so checked my account and my pending payments have disappeared too. We too have been lucky for this not to have affected us in anyway. There unfortunately seem to have been a lot of people which have suffered hardship because of this fiasco.
386 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by barriead
If you just stand back and let the Companies do as they please in cases like this...unique or not...they will assume no-one was really upset and deal with it accordingly...you have to make your voice heard even if it is only to get some anger about it out of your system. I do not understand why the victims of this mess should be blamed for having strong feelings about it.
I agree, if you have been affected please complain in writing. Who knows how widespread this is. The Cruise Critic Community is only a very small percentage of Carnival UK's business.
I have yet to suffer a direct finacial loss but through this fiasco I have been denied access to £3500 of my own money since last Friday. It has caused me stress and agrivation, numerous telephone calls and daily visits to the bank to assertain what was going on. I am angry and no longer looking forward to my cruise next month.
Lincolnshire
899 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Florry
If you were affected and complain I feel reasonably sure they will deliver a good will gesture so long as you don't tell anyone they gave it to you - it's what they always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Well, lets see then.
I have formally registered a complain, and received a standard reply stating that I will get a response within 48 hours.
48 hours have gone by, and still no answer!! Great PR, or should I accept that 48hrs for a reply was not possible and give them another 48, just to be on the safe side
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 Carnival Valor – E Caribbean
2007 Carnival Valor – W Caribbean
2008 Carnival Pride - Mexico
2009 Carnival Freedom – Costa Rica, Panama, Cozamel
2010 RCCI Liberty of the Seas - Mediterranean
2010 RCCI Oasis of the Seas – E Caribbean
2011 RCCI Allure – W Caribbean
2012 RCCI Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean
2013 RCCI Freedom of the Seas - Caribbean
2014 RCCI Adventure of the Seas – Mediterranean
2015 P&O Britannia – Canary Islands
2016 Emerald Princess - Brugge and Scandinavia
2016 P&O Britannia - Caribbean Islands
2017 P&O Ventura - August Greece and Italy
Lincolnshire
899 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by kentchris
What does that particular requirement say about a body which legitimately has customer data and then processes it more than once? That's an internal cock-up rather than a data protection breach. Without in any way excusing the inexcusable it's still something which happens now and then, so jumping up and down as if it's a unique event doesn't help anyone.
Did you get caught up in this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lincolnshire
899 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Romankeycard
Can I ask - were actual cash withdrawals made or, as in my case (£3000.00), was authorisation sought and cash reserved, thus leading to unavailability of those funds for direct debits, cash withdrawals etc.
I have checked with my bank, and yes, cash has been paid to P&O
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Southsea
126 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by davenew
Well, lets see then.
I have formally registered a complain, and received a standard reply stating that I will get a response within 48 hours.
48 hours have gone by, and still no answer!! Great PR, or should I accept that 48hrs for a reply was not possible and give them another 48, just to be on the safe side
They appear to have been overwhelmed by this fiasco...one thing you never do is mess with peoples finances...is it any wonder why so many people are really annoyed and upset...re-send your complaint and tell them your still waiting for a response is what I would be inclined to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie