Advice for 1st timers in St. Thomas

GeorgiaMomof4

My husband and I along with some friends will be in St. Thomas on Valentine's Day coming in on the Carnival Magic. We are scheduled to be there from 11 - 7.

My husband has some health issues and isn't able to walk long distances. We would like to do some sightseeing as we have never been to St. Thomas as well as spend 2 - 3 hours at a nice beach with chairs/loungers and shade. We would probably want to do a little shopping - souvenir type stuff, nothing fancy at the end of our day as well.

I've read that Sapphire Beach is gorgeous.

We normally don't book anything through the cruise line, we prefer to book on our own because of pricing and service.

Where does the Magic normally dock and what would some of your suggestions be for a day we might enjoy?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

A first visit to St Thomas should be exactly what you are looking for – some relaxing beach time and a bit of sightseeing. There are group tours that are more the “cookie cutter” variety and offer some of both activities, I’m not sure if any stop at Sapphire today. But I think doing it on your own is the best choice, and we would also head for Sapphire for the beach time.

You are scheduled to dock at Havensight (WICO), and because you are docked there another option after the beach is taking the aerial tram up to Paradise Point and enjoying the view from there. When you take the tram back down you can walk to the dock from the tram station, and there are tons of shops right there in Havensight.

Charlotte Amalie is a nice town to see as well with interesting streets and a historic district but it is further to the west and will be crowded of course.

Here’s a map that shows where the different points of interest are –

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

And of course Sapphire –

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Hello GeorgiaMomof4,

Yes, Sapphire Beach is beautiful. Here is a live cam which will let you take a peek at the beach.

If you are looking to actually do all three activities and your husband has trouble walking, I would recommend this group tour that does Shopping, Beach and Sightseeing so you don't have to worry about too much walking and they offer a stop at Sapphire Beach.

The idea of the tram up to Paradise Point by blue_water is also great because it is right by Havensight. This Know Before You Cruise guide might help you with planning your trip to St Thomas.

Hope you have a fabulous Valentine's Day! What a beautiful day to be cruising in St. Thomas!

The Caribba Connect tour mentioned will give you an overview of the highlights, including Mountaintop and downtown shopping and a beach. But you're limited to two hours on the beach, the beach choice is by popular vote and will most likely be Coki or Magens, and you still have to rent your lounges and pay for lunch. There are also other independent "cookie cutter" tour guides who are very popular (and some are less expensive) including Sonny Liston and Godfrey Tours.

These are a good way for a first time visitor to see most of the sights and visit one of the busier beaches. But since these are group tours you are limited to the itinerary provided by the guide, and the beach again is by popular vote. These are also groups as large as 20+.

You can also rent a taxi by the hour, and some drivers at the dock will be offering "mini-tours" that may be just right for you. They may take you to Mountaintop, drive Skyline Drive for the overlook, and then drop you at Sapphire where you would be on your own. That would be a great choice if you find a driver offering a mini-tour.

Otherwise a taxi to Sapphire and back to Havensight or the aerial tram is about $20pp roundtrip, and if interested in PP you can usually buy the roundtrip tram passes at your excursions desk for $18 or so.

Enjoy St Thomas! :)

If you do Sapphire only on your own (not part of a tour), it will cost you approx $20 round trip for taxi, $9 to rent chair, $10 for snorkel equipment for a total of $39. You need to compare that total against ship excursion.

Some island tours either by cruise line or local taxi driver, include drinks so take that into consideration, too.

If you book in advance with local provider or on the ship, you might not have to walk as far to get to a taxi.

If you do Sapphire only on your own (not part of a tour), it will cost you approx $20 round trip for taxi, $9 to rent chair, $10 for snorkel equipment for a total of $39. You need to compare that total against ship excursion.

Some island tours either by cruise line or local taxi driver, include drinks so take that into consideration, too.

If you book in advance with local provider or on the ship, you might not have to walk as far to get to a taxi.

Yes the ship excursion may actually be cheaper in some cases, but you're limited to that schedule and that itinerary. I agree with the OP that it's justmore enjoyabe to go on your own. But there are certainly many options!

I just returned from a western Caribbean cruise. My companion had horrible leg cramps after the long road trip to Port Canaveral. She had problems walking from the ship to the taxi areas and to excursion departure points which are much further from the ship than the taxi stand on St Thomas. Most of the ship tours on St Thomas are a very short walk from the ship. The taxi dispatch is a longer walk which may be an issue for some.

It made me much more aware of the mobility I take for granted so I wanted to point out to the original poster that doing it on your own or without an advance reservation might not be as comfortable for her husband. There are many things to consider when researching things to do options.

True, and there is a benefit to booking ahead and having a driver looking for you that you also mentioned. Nice that seeking out a driver when you arrive.

You don't need to go through the ship or with a large group to get that option. There are well-regarded private drivers that will give you a custom tour and drop you at Sapphire like Deans Taxi -

http://www.deanstaxi.com

And Stanley Coram was offering both group and private tours,

(340)690-4544 or email the Secret Harbour Resort.

Nobody mentioned a large group tour. It was suggested that if you have mobility issues, advance reservations will probably result in your driver being closer to the ship.

Most taxi drivers will do a private tour with a four person minimum with advance reservation. Depending on which taxi driver you choose, you may have option of open air or air conditioned vehicle. The price will be approximately $35-45 dollars per person, I think, with beach stop.

The key is making a decision about what you want to do and finding someone available that can accommodate you.

Nobody mentioned a large group tour. It was suggested that if you have mobility issues, advance reservations will probably result in your driver being closer to the ship.

Most taxi drivers will do a private tour with a four person minimum with advance reservation. Depending on which taxi driver you choose, you may have option of open air or air conditioned vehicle. The price will be approximately $35-45 dollars per person, I think, with beach stop.

The key is making a decision about what you want to do and finding someone available that can accommodate you.

MS411 once again I'm not looking for an argument. I even tried to give you credit and that backfired!

Yes, someone did mention a large group tour - that was me describing the typical group tours.

The drivers I recommended to GeorgiaMomof4 are well-regarded so I share them here as do others.

But we're getting off track, there are many options mentioned here, my fav is Sapphire and PP, and having a mini tour first is a good way to see the other touristy spots.

Edited by blue_water

DestinationTravelMaster posted a link to a tour provider who, based on the description, offers tours of all sizes, including large group tours.

There are literally hundreds of licensed taxi drivers who offer tours. Everybody has their favorite(s).

True, and there is a benefit to booking ahead and having a driver looking for you that you also mentioned. Nice that seeking out a driver when you arrive.

You don't need to go through the ship or with a large group to get that option. There are well-regarded private drivers that will give you a custom tour and drop you at Sapphire like Deans Taxi -

http://www.deanstaxi.com

And Stanley Coram was offering both group and private tours,

(340)690-4544 or email the Secret Harbour Resort.

Thank you so much for all your input! We have used private drivers in other locations and have been very pleased. I think this might be the way we decide to go - that way we can customize our day to what we want to do and if my husband needs to end the day earlier we can do that as well. There are actually 10 of us going on this cruise so I will contact the ones you've mentioned once I know who wants to join us and try and work something out for the day. Thank you again!

Blue-Water -

If we do decide to go with a private driver for the day - what are your not to be missed suggestions for the day?

I'm not sure if we would want to do the tram in addition to the driver for the day just because of the pricing issue. I need to change my screen name to GeorgiaMomof6 - because we've just adopted 2 of our foster sons - so needless to say we are cruising on somewhat of a budget. LOL!

Thanks again for the great info!

DestinationTravelMaster and MS411 -

Thanks for your input for our day in St. Thomas. You offered some great suggestions and I believe we are leaning toward a private driver for the day depending on the pricing.

If you can think of any not to miss things to do for first timers in St. Thomas - please let me know.

I appreciate your suggestions!

Please let us know what you decide and how it works out for your group after the tour. I know there are many cruisers with mobility issues so your report should help others. Please post in this forum so I don't miss your report.

Please let us know what you decide and how it works out for your group after the tour. I know there are many cruisers with mobility issues so your report should help others. Please post in this forum so I don't miss your report.

I will certainly try and remember to do that!

What are the interests of EVERYONE in the group? What are the ages? Some of the taxi vehicles are limited as to where they can go because they're so large and for some locations there is no parking.

The driver can drive to Paradise Point. They have a great bird show that's offered several times a day. No charge.

Most of the tours go to the free spots, but your group might want to stop at Market Square to see the fresh fish for sale. If they have lobsters, they usually let you hold them. The lobsters can be HUGE so fun photo ops.

What are the interests of EVERYONE in the group? What are the ages? Some of the taxi vehicles are limited as to where they can go because they're so large and for some locations there is no parking.

The driver can drive to Paradise Point. They have a great bird show that's offered several times a day. No charge.

Most of the tours go to the free spots, but your group might want to stop at Market Square to see the fresh fish for sale. If they have lobsters, they usually let you hold them. The lobsters can be HUGE so fun photo ops.

If all 10 in our group go the ages would be from 20 to 53. It's a first time trip to St. Thomas for all of us so it's not like some of us would be repeating something we've already seen or done. We would all like to see some of the island and do a beach for a few hours. Other than that we are pretty open to what we would like to do.

Blue-Water -

If we do decide to go with a private driver for the day - what are your not to be missed suggestions for the day?

I'm not sure if we would want to do the tram in addition to the driver for the day just because of the pricing issue. I need to change my screen name to GeorgiaMomof6 - because we've just adopted 2 of our foster sons - so needless to say we are cruising on somewhat of a budget. LOL!

Thanks again for the great info!

WOW - good for you (and great for the kids)!!! :)

A typical tour covering the highlights would include Mountaintop and Drake's Seat with great views of Magens Bay and the north shore, and a drive over Skyline Drive and a view of the harbors from the Overlook. We asked to include a stop at a couple of beaches and Stanley had lunch while waiting for us. If interested in a beach perhaps stop at Secret Harbor or Sapphire Beach for a lunch by the water. If not interested in a beach you could just tour the East End and stop in Red Hook for shopping and lunch. There is shopping right in Havensight, but Charlotte Amalie is also worth a stop for an hour to see the streets and alleys, and if you want to see the historical section allow more time for that. You can see some of that from the overlook. The drivers can stop at PP as mentioned but may not want to drive up there, it depends on the driver. And the bird lady's show at PP is fun and it may be worth adding PP to your itinerary if time allows.

The map shows where the major sights and beaches are located and you can plan an itinerary with that. The driver will be the most helpful though as that is what they do. You will probably see more of the less-touristy spots with a private driver.

Have a great trip!

So all adults? That eliminates bird show, though I find it fun.

You didn't mention their interests. You might want to see the University of the Virgin Islands campus since you have 20 somethings. Not a usual tour stop, but gorgeous views and interesting buildings. Caribbean Historical Tours includes that as a stop on his tour, and he claims to be the only taxi driver allowed to bring tours there. He is also recommended by St Thomas Historical Trust. His tours are a bit pricier than others, though, because it usually includes a light local lunch (at least on the tour I was on).

The university has its own public beach which is popular with sea turtles, but not popular with tourists or taxi drivers. You can see planes landing from the beach.

If all 10 in our group go the ages would be from 20 to 53. It's a first time trip to St. Thomas for all of us so it's not like some of us would be repeating something we've already seen or done. We would all like to see some of the island and do a beach for a few hours. Other than that we are pretty open to what we would like to do.

Sorry, I missed this post when I replied...

Since you want a few hours at a nice beach I would just have a driver drop you at Sapphire and return for you at a certain time and give you a mini-tour. That could include a drive over Skyline Dr to either Mountaintop or Drake's Seat for the views. MT lost it's charm when the original burned down IMHO but is still a a popular tourist stop. Then maybe just a drive through town to get a feel for that before returning to the ship

A passenger who doesn't want to swim may want something in addition to beach. All of the islands have incredibly interesting history that is not included in all island tours.

I have been to many Caribbean islands. St Thomas is unique because of the gorgeous views, and the many colonial buildings still standing in a walkable area without commercial building interruption. Archaeological digs are often done and volunteers can participate. Every now and then you can see them in action, but you can often find their studies in peer juried pubs.

People travel for different things.

• 2 months later...

Hello Ms411 & Blue Water,

I've enjoyed reading the info you've provided to another poster about things to see/do for first timers in St. Thomas.

We are a group of approx 10-14 people all adults and we're planning our day in St. Thomas (Havensight terminal). Three adults in our group has mobility issues.

We would like to do mostly the sights you mentioned and a couple of hours on the beach (Sapphire). If these adults find it difficult to walk, they have an option to stay inside the van.

If you know of any other reputable private tour companies or taxi service offering such tours (beach time included), can you please share? Do the taxis at the dock have vans to accommodate us? And an idea how much it would cost per person?

Thank you in advance for any info/comments/suggestions....