Miami to Fort Lauderdale

Westskip

We'll be flying into Miami and embarking the next day in Fort Lauderdale.

Being from Australia we don't know the area at all so we need to know how difficult is it to get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale where we'll probably be staying overnight. Any information or tips would be appreciated.

Heya! I'm from England so had the same kinda worries. Completely unfounded worries though!

If you look in the Florida departures board you will see this answered loads and loads of times.

Personally I took a uber down and couldn't recommend it enough. I also used taxis and shuttles but the uber definitely was the best.

I've listed here how I got around, how much each journey cost and how long it took etc: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/01/07/fort-lauderdale-airport-to-the-port-of-miami/

I did the journey backwards but sure that makes no difference! It really wasn't difficult to get around at all so try not to worry. Check out the other board too though :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you booked the Princess hotel package that includes transfers to the pier.

If you are booking the hotel on you own would suggest that you transfer to Ft. Lauderdale on the day of arrival and stay at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale near Port Everglades. Suggest a hotel on S.E. 17th St. where you can walk to shops and restaurants. Of course a lot depends on your time of arrival in Miami, late at night you may just want to get to the nearest hotel.

A taxi from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale is around US$80 + tip. Uber can be a little less expensive. The trip is 45 mins. without traffic delays.

We'll be flying into Miami and embarking the next day in Fort Lauderdale.

Being from Australia we don't know the area at all so we need to know how difficult is it to get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale where we'll probably be staying overnight. Any information or tips would be appreciated.

It's 22 miles and a pretty straight shot on the interstate.

We use this company quite often. Reasonable and punctual.

https://www.fortlauderdaletransfers.com/

My preference, (especially if staying overnight) is to do a one day, one-way car rental from National or Alamo. You pick the car up right at the Miami airport, drive to wherever you are headed in the Ft. Lauderdale area for the night, and then the next day, when you are ready to take your cruise, return the car to the Ft. Lauderdale airport and you have access to a free shuttle bus that will take you right to your ship. Note that only National and Alamo provide the free shuttle service. Having your own car for a day can be really convenient especially if you want to make a stop at a grocery store, pharmacy or wine shop. The cost for renting a car for a single day is way less than the cost of a cab, Uber or car service. And if you are staying overnight in a hotel, you will need more than one cab, Uber or car service to handle all of your transportation needs from the airport to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port.

We use Super Shuttle for our transfers in the States. The website is easy to use, prices are the same or better than similar companies, the vehicles are clean and they're very reliable. We once arrived in Miami just before 9am the morning of a cruise and arrived at Port Everglades very, very early for boarding!

If you plan on staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale the Embassy Suites 17th Street is a great spot close to the Port, lots of cafes, restaurants, supermarkets, bottle shops, etc. The hotel also has an evening reception with free drinks and snacks and the free trolley to the beach runs right past the front of the hotel.

After our last cruise, we needed to travel from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. We took the Tri-Rail passenger train, and it was easy and fast. US$3.75 to US$5.00 per person, depending on when you're traveling (weekday vs. weekend).

The Tri-Rail station is connected to the Miami airport. As the others suggested, consider reserving a hotel in the Fort Lauderdale area. That way you can fly in, take the Tri-Rail train from the Miami airport to the stop closest to your Fort Lauderdale hotel, and then it will be a cheap taxi or Uber/Lyft ride from there to your hotel.

Details and schedules for the Tri-Rail trains are on their website: http://www.tri-rail.com/

I used Uber from Miami airport to our hotel. It's fast and the Uber drivers are right there waiting.

It's so easy!

For our cruise in May, we stayed in Hollywood Florida, Crowne Plaza. The cost was $38. We have taken taxis in the past. From Miami airport to Ft Lauderdale hotel, $100.:o

So it's Uber for us from now on.:D

Many thanks for your replies. There is a possibility now that we may fly direct to Fort Lauderdale.

That's great!

If not I wouldn't waste time renting a car.

With you being used to right steering and left side of the road driving why bring that stress on yourself.

It's really busy on the highways and streets of South Florida.

Have someone else drive you and relax. :)