Dumped by RCCL

nanner10

Can I vent for a few minutes??

Well, it is offical, RCCL has cancelled the 12 night Legend 6/24/07 Italy and Croatia cruise for a 6 day charter and a 6 day "special" cruise to fill the 12 day gap.

After a month of getting the run around that the sailing was "Closed for Inventory Management (which) means that the Revenue department has closed the sailing due to making changes to either itinerary, pricing, staterooms etc "

NOT!!!! Obviously they were negotiating this deal!

In my honest opinion:

I gotta say right now I am feeling like RCCL respects me as an individual customer about as much as a used tissue.

Yup, I know that they can do this anytime they want and they do, but, when it happens to you it really feels like #*?@. I guess we should be happy that a offered us $100pp OBC for the inconvenience of rescheduling to another sailing (which is not a good date for us and will require a good deal of scrambling around to work out the personal details), however, unfortunately it really doesn't feel like much for what this cancellation means to us. We would much rather have had the sailing date stay the same.

But, what can you do? Nothing. So for now, I am trying to follow my own mantra: "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and roll with the punches" and move on.

Okay, I am done!

Sounds pretty lame to me since it's only about 6 months until you sail. I wonder how many people booked this cruise and already purchased their own airfare and are now entangled in an airfare mess. I can understand when they do this more than one year in advance, but 6 months out seems like too short of a time frame.

I meant CRUISE, and they have to get you on it. Maybe you will win a suite! FIGHT!!!! My DH works for State of Ohio in the Director's areas & cannot just change his mind without the Govenor's OK. So this would not happen to us without a fight. So tell them the same. I know you can do it & you will win!

That really stinks! That's the best time of year for weather in the Med too!! 6 months before is kinda unacceptable, especially for a European cruise which costs much more and you have to organize expensive flights...sheesh. Hopefully, since I'm sure the prices are going nowhere but up right now, they'll give you a deal since they sorta forced you into this situation?!?! (wishful thinking probably, huh?). Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.

Laura

It seems odd to me that until the end of October they were offering coupons that included the now canceled sailing and after people took advantage of it, they cancelled it.

I am hearing that the cruise was up to 2/3 full. I can't confirm that so it may possibly just be rumor. For my own peace of mind, I would at least like to give them the benefit of the doubt that if they were going to leave customers in the lurch they chose the sailing that would affect the least number of people. We just happened to be among the chosen group.

We were looking into flights but, thank goodness, did not book them once we found out something was up with the cruise. Thank goodness I keep an eye on my reservations. No doubt many people have it much worse than us, I feel terrible for them.

I don't know for sure but I am hearing that they are paying any penalties for changing airfares for those who have already booked theirs. They are doing that right, at least, but what a pain!

Also they are letting people switch to other dates and honoring the cruise fare they had, another right move for RCCL. They did offer a good range of dates to choose from. But this itinerary does not have a ton of dates. We really wanted this exact itinerary. Unfortunately for us we only had one option for another date we could possibly go: July 18th. It is a lousy date for us and I am afraid it is going to be hotter that he!!. The heat really gets to me so I worry it will impact our plans to go, go, go, go on this cruise. Since we have never been to any of this area, we are really hoping to pack a lot of exploring into this trip.

Maybe it is impratical, but, it seems to me that they should work out a different system for chartering ships. I am sure that it is just as frustrating to have your cruise cancelled if you are sailing in a closer location, but, I think it is likely that for a lot of people this type of cruise (Europe) takes a lot of pre-planning, is one of those "once in a lifetime cruises" (not that other cruises aren't for other people) and often involves more complicated flights and additional land arrangements and add ons. That certainly describes us.

Be happy they offered you the OBC. I was scheduled on the Jewel 12 ngt Boston to FL next year. (Granted, this is much further in the future) They cancelled that cruise and never even told me. I found out by going on the website and couldn't find my reservation. I was offered nothing....Of course, I didn't ask either.

Be happy they offered you the OBC. I was scheduled on the Jewel 12 ngt Boston to FL next year. (Granted, this is much further in the future) They cancelled that cruise and never even told me. I found out by going on the website and couldn't find my reservation. I was offered nothing....Of course, I didn't ask either.

Don't I know it!! I am happy that they did offer the OBC. I didn't ask, they offered and but as I said, I would much, much, much have prefered the far better (for us) sailing we chose than have the OBC on sailing that is far less desirable, again, to us.

All in all I still know we are incredibly fortunate have the ability to go on this cruise, or any cruise, at all. Finally, I really wish that RCCL would be more considerate of their customers and not leave people hanging.

Helloooo RCCL? Are you listening?? Customers get frustrated and unhappy when you act in ways that says you don't value their time, money (okay, maybe you value their money!!), schedules, lives, etc. Last time I was on a ship it looked to me that most of those people I saw were customers. It would be hard to sail the ship without them, although you would not have to worry about booze smuggling!

. Finally, I really wish that RCCL would be more considerate of their customers and not leave people hanging.

Very true. In my case, do you think RCI took it upon themselves to refund my $900.00 deposit when they cancelled the cruise? Of course not! I was not refunded until I called them and demanded it.

I meant CRUISE, and they have to get you on it. Maybe you will win a suite! FIGHT!!!! My DH works for State of Ohio in the Director's areas & cannot just change his mind without the Govenor's OK. So this would not happen to us without a fight. So tell them the same. I know you can do it & you will win!

Fight what????? What are you talking about (again)

What? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can I vent for a few minutes??

Well, it is offical, RCCL has cancelled the 12 night Legend 6/24/07 Italy and Croatia cruise for a 6 day charter and a 6 day "special" cruise to fill the 12 day gap.

After a month of getting the run around that the sailing was "Closed for Inventory Management (which) means that the Revenue department has closed the sailing due to making changes to either itinerary, pricing, staterooms etc "

NOT!!!! Obviously they were negotiating this deal!

In my honest opinion:

I gotta say right now I am feeling like RCCL respects me as an individual customer about as much as a used tissue.

Yup, I know that they can do this anytime they want and they do, but, when it happens to you it really feels like #*?@. I guess we should be happy that a offered us $100pp OBC for the inconvenience of rescheduling to another sailing (which is not a good date for us and will require a good deal of scrambling around to work out the personal details), however, unfortunately it really doesn't feel like much for what this cancellation means to us. We would much rather have had the sailing date stay the same.

But, what can you do? Nothing. So for now, I am trying to follow my own mantra: "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and roll with the punches" and move on.

Okay, I am done!

Sorry to hear this nanner10,

I do not blame you for bring upset. I can't believe that RCCL has a habit of "throwing" their passengers off a cruise, for another group of passengers. Especially 6 months away from the cruise. I know I would already have my air and hotel booked and I would be really upset about it.

I also feel that $100 per person is a pathetic amount for what they are putting you through. :(

We were also booked on this cruise and had already purchased our airfare. Fortunately, I have my own business and can be flexible, so we are going on the 7/18 sailing. We were offered the on-board credit and the airline rebooking reimbursement. They were also able to book us into the same room that we had on 6/24. I guess things worked out, but I was not happy during the process. We are only two sailing credits from being Diamond + members and are also stockholders. I was not, however, feeling any love from RCCL.

Win a suite??? Oh brother.........:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting us know! Sorry it happened as is disappointing.

This happens and is part of the cruise industry business. In 2004, our southern carib cruise with Celebrity was 30 days out from our sailing when we were notified the ship had been chartered out from underneath our feet. We were given 2 options 1) Full refund or 2) move to another week. We chose to move one week out. The week chartered out was the week after Thanksgiving so we moved our cruise to the first week of December. We were not offered any OBC etc. I was told this happens, I moved on and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. I think a $100.00 OBC is generous given the 6 month notification time. Disappointing-yes. Fight- for what??

I think a $100.00 OBC is generous given the 6 month notification time. Disappointing-yes. Fight- for what??

H2OH!: Hi there! I am the OP.

It was another person who responded to my post that said I should fight it, not me!

I don't feel that they owe me any more compensation for this. Actually, I never asked for anything, they offered it. I want to be clear that I did not say they should offer us anymore than the $100.00.

When I called RCCL again last night trying to find out what was going on I was told the cruise had been redeployed as a charter. I was transferred to the Redeployment desk (who knew they had a redeployment desk!). I spoke to Kelsey, who was very pleasant, BTW, and she explained what they would do for us and what my options were for rebooking, if we chose to do that.

Going into our conversation I had a couple concerns but I never had to voice them as she covered them in her initial statement. My two main concerns were to maintain the same cabin type (balcony) and that since the fare for the available sailing had gone up $1,100PP over the price we were paying for our sailing I wanted the fare to remain the same. She had already assured me that it would.

I did ask (pleasantly) toward the end of the call that she pass on my displeasure and how I felt about the experience. I wanted them to know that I thought this was a lousy way to treat customers, especially since I do know that they do this (apparently) rather often. I know that my frustration is probably, at best, falling on deaf ears, but, I felt a little better for having said it.

The closest I came to asking for something was when at the end our conversation Kelsey said something to the effect of "Is there anything else I can do for you today?" I couldn’t resist responding, in a clearly joking tone, "Unless you want to give me more money or a junior suite, then I guess I am all set." We both laughed (I suspect she probably rolled her eyes waaay back into her head!!) and that was the end of it.

I closed my original post by saying I was moving on and that is what I plan to do!

I was bumped off the Rhapsody for their asia plans, I was told to rebook on the Voyager at Voyagers prevailiing prices and got a $200 OBC for the two of us. The Voyager ended up costing quite a bit more.

Uh oh, I sure hope I understood her correctly. I believe she reassured me that I would be given the same price I was paying. She said it would take a couple days to show up on "my cruises", I guess time will tell.

Okay, I checked "my cruises" and it is there at the correct price. My C&A balcony discount is not there yet nor my coupon, which they said would be honored. I'll give it a few days. Maybe it is because I stayed with the exact same ship and itinerary that I was able to pay the same fare.

I wish it had worked out the same way for you CruisePRN (cute name!).

I had to switch from a sept 07 sailing to a Jan 08 sailing. When they pulled Rhapsody out of Galveston they didn't plan on a replacement ( Voyager) until Dec 07 so we were given a 6 month month window to rebook on the Voyager out of Galveston but had to pay more.

Other poster siad fight. antoher poster siad they got an OBC PLUS the charge for the air fare change. Seem pretty fair to me.

If you were a stockholder, you would WANT RCI to book a charter....fill it and move some profit to the corporate bottom line.

As a regular customer, you would WANT RCI to book a charter...fill and move some profit to the corporate bottom line...maintain onboard standards.

As the original poster said, stuff happens....roll with the punches...the kind of folks we would love to crusie with!!!!!

I was bumped off the Rhapsody for their asia plans, I was told to rebook on the Voyager at Voyagers prevailiing prices and got a $200 OBC for the two of us. The Voyager ended up costing quite a bit more.

same thing happened to us, we did rebook on the Voyager for the increased amount & they did allow us to transfer a savings certificate. THEN when they published the Panama Canal trip on the same start date, I called them and asked if I could transfer the OBC to that trip and the answer was NOPE. we lost the OBC, which was ok, but I did fight & won to be able to transfer the savings certificate. so we are back on the Rhapsody and doing a life long wished for trip through the PC.

Best of luck to all the displaced cruisers

Nancy

Sometimes it helps to vent and your attitude to move on is wonderful. Best wishes for all your future cruises.........I'm sure you will make the most of them.

Some of the responses here are so off the wall and in left field.........I just can't interpret them:rolleyes:

Archived