Staggered Boarding??

Retired 07

We just received an email from Princess regarding our upcoming cruise out of LA. They are now boarding according to what deck you are on. Our boarding time is 2:00. It says that if you get there early, you will be asked to go away and come back at your appointed time. Are they kidding? I was looking forward to boarding 12-12:30, having lunch, and touring the ship. Is this something new? I haven't been on Princess for 2 years, but they didn't have it back then. Do they really enforce this, or is it like the dress code on formal night??

What is the procedure when you are assigned a boarding assignment time and you are travelling with friends who are on a different deck and have a different time than you? Will they make you wait until your deck time as there is a 1 1/2 hour time difference? Will they let us board earlier than the assigned time of 2:30 when all aboard is 3 and it sails at 4? Anyone have any info?

What is the procedure when you are assigned a boarding assignment time and you are travelling with friends who are on a different deck and have a different time than you? Will they make you wait until your deck time as there is a 1 1/2 hour time difference? Will they let us board earlier than the assigned time of 2:30 when all aboard is 3 and it sails at 4? Anyone have any info?
Not sure what you mean by "boarding assignment time" for our upcoming cruise this month the itinerary states:

DEPART 4:00PM CHECK IN 12:30PM-3:00PM

ARRIVE AFTER 2:00PM FOR A FASTER CHECK IN

Essentially you can arrive and get in the queue for check-in anytime during the specified period, and should expect a line if you arrive early. They could issue group numbers to those waiting as a means of managing the large number of passengers in a reasonable fashion. If you are not Captain's Circle Platinum or Elite then the norm is "first come first served".

Assuming this is still the system if you and your friends arrive together, then you should be able to go through the line together.

I wouldn't recommend waiting until the last minute. There are some fun things to do on board ship including a "scavanger hunt" which includes tours of the spa and other areas.

To be honest, I have usually ignored the boarding times given. I turn up at the dock when it suits me and have never been told to wait. Have always been able to get on almost straight away. The only people I have seen requested to wait are the first time cruisers who were given a coloured ticket which were called at certain intervals.

I think it is more to do with trying to spread out the arrival times of passengers to avoid overcrowding than anything else.

I wouldn't pay much attention to their assigned boarding time. The Passage Contract section 2.A.iv actually requires you to "arrive at least two hours before the scheduled or amended sailing time" yet they are telling people to arrive after 2:30 for a 4:00 sailing time.

So how do they handle people who want to reserve the Sanctuary? or who are having table assignment problems? What about those whose flights come in hours before thier boarding time??? Raises way to many questions with no answers from Princess. There could be some hated discussions at the embarking point that might not be what Princess really wants.

To me it seems stupid.

1. In the first place does Princess know first hand of each passengers travel plans? No Princess does not, see note 2.

2. This spring I am doing a B2B, I down loaded my boarding pass for the second leg,[which was not needed when I did this same cruise before], but I was told that the best boarding time was between 1pm and 4pm, however I will be on the ship the entire time.;):rolleyes:

john

Good points - especially about the Sanctuary and other things that you can only book once you are on-board.

If you have a later boarding time, you will miss out on opportunities that others get.......

We just received an email from Princess regarding our upcoming cruise out of LA. They are now boarding according to what deck you are on. Our boarding time is 2:00. It says that if you get there early, you will be asked to go away and come back at your appointed time. Are they kidding? I was looking forward to boarding 12-12:30, having lunch, and touring the ship. Is this something new? I haven't been on Princess for 2 years, but they didn't have it back then. Do they really enforce this, or is it like the dress code on formal night??

It would help if you specified which ship and what destination... More than probably Hawaii, but which one? The Sapphire or the Golden? I am sailing on the Sapphire and have not been notified.

As for Postech, don't you know you never should fly in a couple of hours away from boarding time?

This system can only be fair if Princess allows the Sanctuary and Chef's Table to be booked in advance. Not very fair if, on every voyage, the only people in the Sanctuary and at the Chef's Table are the people who board at noon. And the reference in their documentation with regards to first-day dining will be pointless. It now reads: "Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's multiple dining rooms." With staggered boarding, that will need to be changed to:

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to either:

a. (for early boarders) relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's multiple dining rooms;

b. (for intermediate boarders) begin your vacation in a harried rush desperately trying to make it to the Horizon Court while the food is still plentiful and hot, or to one of the ship's multiple dining rooms before it closes; or

c. (for late boarders) begin your cruise with a sour taste in your mouth as you board starving, with no option other than to pick over whatever scraps have been left for you at the Horizon Court at 2:30 or later. But don't worry about your late lunch. Your early dinner seating is just moments away."

It appears that they've added wording to try and scare people from showing up before noon. LOL :p

Seeing that I've paid for the whole day I'm getting there as early as possible, like all the rest of the people, and I'd agree to their "request" as soon as they reduce my fare to compensate me for late boarding.

Lets say... comping me for a dinner in Sabatini's. :D

No one will turn you away if you show up before their fictitious boarding time.

<snip>

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to either:

a. (for early boarders) relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's multiple dining rooms;

b. (for intermediate boarders) begin your vacation in a harried rush desperately trying to make it to the Horizon Court while the food is still plentiful and hot, or to one of the ship's multiple dining rooms before it closes; or

c. (for late boarders) begin your cruise with a sour taste in your mouth as you board starving, with no option other than to pick over whatever scraps have been left for you at the Horizon Court at 2:30 or later. But don't worry about your late lunch. Your early dinner seating is just moments away."

Now THAT is funny!:D

We leave out of San Fran on the 19th. So far one one person on our Roll Call has received an email saying to show up at a designated time. I think it is just so people don't all show up all at once. Some people will adhere to what the email says and others won't. I am sure Princess knows that. I for one, will be there early as usual...

Dan

It appears that they've added wording to try and scare people from showing up before noon. LOL :p

Seeing that I've paid for the whole day I'm getting there as early as possible, like all the rest of the people, and I'd agree to their "request" as soon as they reduce my fare to compensate me for late boarding.

Lets say... comping me for a dinner in Sabatini's. :D

No one will turn you away if you show up before their fictitious boarding time.

Are you reading my mind?;)

john

We leave out of San Fran on the 19th. So far one one person on our Roll Call has received an email saying to show up at a designated time. I think it is just so people don't all show up all at once. Some people will adhere to what the email says and others won't. I am sure Princess knows that. I for one, will be there early as usual...

Dan

Just wait till they get on board and find out some people that also got the email and have been there for hours and had a sit down lunch in the dining room. :D

Do you have to board with your friends? If so, can't they just board with you?

We are traveling together to the port and do not want to take two autos and pay for parking for both. There are apparently others asking the same question on this board as they also got the same e mail.

Archived