Family cruising is so expensive

Gahh

Just a bit if a rant, I want to take my family of five on a cruise, but it's just so expensive.

How can my children aged 12 & 14 be classed as adults?

I also have a 3 year old.

I wish they would give a discount on the adult prices for children.

Say an adult price is $1000

I think a child should be $600- $700

I don't know how they can class teenagers as adults. They are children!

Rant over.

If your kids are in your cabin with you, they should be a lot cheaper. If they are in another cabin, the cruise line usually charges the same amount as if they were adults, for that is the amount they would normally get.

Depending on the cruise line will depend how many you can get into the one cabin.

I know exactly what you are saying as we were in the same situation as you. Try Royal Caribbean as they have family cabins that can hold up to 6. The 1st/2nd passenger are the most expensive, then they discount the 3-6th passenger. They will also offered child rates for up to 11 years of age (usually about $200pp cheaper than the 3/4th fare).

It might seem expensive but when you work it out I think it's ok. If you were to have a land holiday for a family of 5, accomodation, meals every day (brekky, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner) not that you would probably have that much. 😂 entertainment every day, taxi's or busses etc etc. we used to do land holidays and when we actually worked everything out, it was less expensive for us to take kids on cruises. Just my thoughts 😄

• 1 month later...

Carnival USA just had a kids sail free promotion but the airfares would be a killer:D

I agree with the RCI cruises, look for the deals early out and work around them!

I have done one Royal at $100pp pn and have booked another for early next year for less!

My Carnival Dream cruise in June is less than $100pp pn but as long as we keep paying the inflated prices here with P&O they will keep charging them:(

I know what you're saying.

It's easier to get a room rate that is really per room, rather than per person as it is with cruises.

Especially if you self-cater e.g. breakfast which isn't a big deal, the price on a cruise is often quite expensive now.

• 2 months later...

Can you go at short notice. Why not try for cruises with no airfares

For example This cruise is quite cheap.

22 October 2014 Sydney departure.

8 Nights

Celebrity Century

Twin From $791 pp

Quad From $791 pp ??? Why would you at that price.

Even cheaper if you don't book from an Australian website.;)

Edited by sayaguru

Can you go at short notice. Why not try for cruises with no airfares

For example This cruise is quite cheap.

22 October 2014 Sydney departure.

8 Nights

Celebrity Century

Twin From $791 pp

Quad From $791 pp ??? Why would you at that price.

Even cheaper if you don't book from an Australian website.;)

Agreed it's a good price but as per the OP referring to 12 and 14 year old, that cruise isn't in school holidays so not great to take children out of school.

• 4 weeks later...

We always book last minute especially now that we have 5 children. I've seen 7 day cruises as cheap as $320.

As long as we can get something around $500 for 7 days I'm happy.

We take our kids out of school, the experiences far outweigh any work missed at school which is easily caught up.

• 1 month later...

It's not that expensive when you think about it.Try doing a Vietnam or Thailand Tour with flights for a family of two adults and two teenagers It works out just as much and that doesn't even cover for meals or most day to day expenses.Better Value is seen in a Cruise

Vietnam or Thailand should be more expensive as there's more travel and fuel involved to get there, and P&O don't cover those areas so the comparison isn't equal.

You'd need to compare like with like e.g. to Fiji or Vanuatu or similar. Flights and accommodation and food aren't so much there.