Flying home from West Palm Beach

lucky13elec

Has anyone flown home out of West Palm Beach? How long is the drive from Fort Lauderdale & do you believe could we make a noon flight? Thanks for any help.

Port Everglades to West Palm Beach International Airport is about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. If you self assist or have one of the first disembarkation zones with no port delays, you shouldn't have any difficulty making it to PBI in time for a noon flight.

If you get into FLL ontime (by around 6am), you can be off the ship by 7:20ish. We did this, got into a cab and was at the car rental office by 7:35. We had the car and was on the road before 8am. So, yes, a 1200 flight is definitely doable, if the ship is on time into FLL.

Thanks all. I'll look up Trirail. Never heard of it.

TRi-Rail is the south FLA commuter rail system - waits for trains can be long on weekends. You'll need to taxi to the closest station to PE (Broward or maybe the FLL station - about $15), ride the train to PB and then shuttle to the airport.

Tri-Rail is cheap, but probably not fast -- give yourself lots of time with an afternoon flight if you choose this option. Otherwise a rental car (with check-out, gas and check-in delays) oor an expensive cab ride/car service are your likely options to get from PE to PBI.

• 2 months later...

Hey everybody! Forgive me if this is asked and answered 1,000 times here, but my hubby & I are cruising out of Miami (NCL Epic) and return on Sunday, December 14. How doable is a flight out of PBI? If it would be a viable option, what is the best way to get to the airport on a Sunday? Something I saw indicated Tri-Rail only runs Monday-Saturday but I have no clue about this... or even if that would be a good option! What time do we need to look at flights after?? OR is there another airport (besides FLL or MIA) that we should look at that would be better? Flights out of FLL and MIA one way are $400 or more per person at times that would be late enough after disembarkation...

Thank you in advance for your help!:confused:

We flew in and out of PBI on our last cruise and we used tri-rail to go back and forth. We had no problems and would do it again. Our departure flight was at 12:45 and I'm glad we had this time because it took us nearly 2 hrs to get off the ship. We did self disembark and were in the MDR at 7:20, but it was 9:00 before we got off due to customs delays.

We took a taxi from the port to tri-rail and the used their shuttle to get to the airport (it was only a couple dollars per person, so very cheap.)

It's super easy as long as you can handle your luggage. They have luggage carts on the trains for your luggage too.

We got to the airport, checked in, through security and still had an hour to spare.

Hey everybody! Forgive me if this is asked and answered 1,000 times here, but my hubby & I are cruising out of Miami (NCL Epic) and return on Sunday, December 14. How doable is a flight out of PBI? If it would be a viable option, what is the best way to get to the airport on a Sunday? Something I saw indicated Tri-Rail only runs Monday-Saturday but I have no clue about this... or even if that would be a good option! What time do we need to look at flights after?? OR is there another airport (besides FLL or MIA) that we should look at that would be better? Flights out of FLL and MIA one way are $400 or more per person at times that would be late enough after disembarkation...

Thank you in advance for your help!:confused:

This is why we flew in and out of PBI. We saved over $600 by doing so. Tri-rail is very easy as long as you can handle your luggage. Check out their website for all the info you need. Tri-rail.com. It does run on Sundays.

Edited by jennmaybe

How cool is that! What a small world! I am looking at a return flight into Asheville on Allegiant, but have never flown them before. All their extra fees are making me think twice.... ESPECIALLY their baggage policies & fees. Don't have to guess ahead of time how many bags I'll need with good ole Southwest! :-) Even Delta gives you a free carry-on & 50 lbs on your checked bags!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

How cool is that! What a small world! I am looking at a return flight into Asheville on Allegiant, but have never flown them before. All their extra fees are making me think twice.... ESPECIALLY their baggage policies & fees. Don't have to guess ahead of time how many bags I'll need with good ole Southwest! :-) Even Delta gives you a free carry-on & 50 lbs on your checked bags!

I don't know much about them but have a few friends that have flown with them and we're not impressed. They also didn't like all the fees. My hubby will only fly first class, so luckily we don't have any issues with fees or baggage limits. :)

We really like flying with Delta, but my hubby did fly Southwest one time as a last minute thing and he said he had no problems. (The only problem he had was they don't have first class.) I told him he would live!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled onto Tri-Rail as an option. Will be needing transportation from Port Everglades to PBI next month, on a Sunday. Flight home isn't until 3 PM, so time shouldn't be an issue. There will be 6 of us travelling. I'm getting prices around $200 for private transportation, so it looks like getting a taxi from the Port to FLL and using Tri-Rail will be much cheaper. Can you make a reservation using this service or is it first come/first served? Any other info. would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

I've flown Allegiant several times because they are much cheaper than anyone else to Montana from Phoenix. I never pay for a seat assignment or priority boarding, and my husband and I always gets seats together because we arrive at the airport really early and get a low number for the boarding of the masses. The main thing to watch out for is their luggage policy. Checked bags can only weigh 40 pounds, not the 50 most airlines allow. Also, I refuse to pay for a carryon, so everything I pack goes into the 40 pound checked bag. I do carry a big purse and put medicine and my camera in there. Kind of a hassle, but worth it to us for the much cheaper fares.

Allegiant will do a decent job of getting you to FL and back. It is basic transportation, not unlike a bus.

One caution. I would never use Allegiant if it meant flying in on your sail date.

While it is rare, we had a flight cancelled once and had to stay overnight (their expense) so that they could fly in a replacement plane to take everyone to FLL the next day.

As to fees, they are what they are. The one I find easiest to pay is the fee that allows rescheduling for no extra cost. I had to use it once and it was well worth it over the legacy airlines fees of up to $400.

I just stumbled onto Tri-Rail as an option. Will be needing transportation from Port Everglades to PBI next month, on a Sunday. Flight home isn't until 3 PM, so time shouldn't be an issue. There will be 6 of us travelling. I'm getting prices around $200 for private transportation, so it looks like getting a taxi from the Port to FLL and using Tri-Rail will be much cheaper. Can you make a reservation using this service or is it first come/first served? Any other info. would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

No reservation needed. When you arrive at the Tri-Rail station, just purchase a ticket for each passenger & wait for the train. There are overhead signs to let you know what time the next train will arrive. Since you have a later flight, you will be in no hurry and that will alleviate any stress. :)