Coral Princess Alaska S/B Whittier Vancouver Trip Report

sdf89

Post 1: intro

This trip report is long and not long! It will be posted over a Loooonnnnnngggggggtime, possibly weeks as I have so little time to get on the Board… But the posts themselves will not be long… as I try to just mention things that are either helpful tips that may not be widely posted, or important tips worth posting to make sure you get them!

I divide this report in sections:

General comments about Alaska cruise (not Princess CL specific)

Pre-trip (handled by Princess) (with a surprise story)

Embarkation (includes Princess shuttle from Anchorage)

The 2 days of glaciers

Skagway (helicopter/dogsled)

Juneau (Whale and hike)

Ketchikan (totems and shopping)

At sea days/ship activities

The CAPTAIN

The Food

General comments about Coral Princess/Princess cruise line(with cabin comments)

Disembarkation/Princess shuttle

For fun: I plan to give you 10 golden tips sprinkled through the posts.

Oh… for those into this sort of detail we have 6: my wife and I, DD 27, DS and DD-law 25, DD 16. See pic below. (addendum: picture link may not be working; I will have fixed before next post).

Now don’t forget… It could be a week or two between each post… sorry.

https://pix.sfly.com/6gtj4R

Post 2: General comments about Alaska cruise (not Princess CL specific)

But first a word from your sponsor: I apologize that I didn’t put on thread title June 17-14, 2017. It won't let me edit; hope that won’t cause too much angst. The good news is that I think I figured out to make my pics viewable without clicking a link.

Now back to regular programming(!):

This was my fourth Alaska cruise out of 10 total cruises… so do the math, I think Alaska is the best place to go.

That is because:

1) Nice balance of 1/3, 1/3, 1/3: beautiful scenery, interesting ports, and multiple days at sea. Last one some of you may express surprise… I’m a bit of an work-aholic, so those days of doing nothing are valuable. Of course Alaska cheats… some of those “days at sea” are spent looking at glaciers.

2) So much of the cruise is near land… so your seasickness risk is low. Not zero. For all my other Alaska cruises we had a 8-12 hour time of high waves and so could get queasy…not anything more. But on this cruise: amazing… weather was great which meant absolutely zero risk of seasickness this time (and for our sole cruise newbie in the family traveling this time, this was reassuring).

3) Feel safer… 98% is US based.

Golden tip #1: (this only applies to Alaska cruises): you don’t have to do the patch to avoid seasickness. Just have some Bonine available if you get bad weather and queasy. Odds are high you will never use.Just look on this board and you will see tons of posts about patch side effects, and worse than that, withdrawal syx.

Next post is #3: Pre-trip(handled by Princess) (with a surprise story)

35833831311_28fa08cf48_b.jpgScan-5 by Scott Young, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

First an apology: sorry been so long since last post (though I DID warn that would happen).

New disclaimer: normally before making my next post, I would diligently look at all new threads since my last post, to see if suggestions/comments were already made to trim from my own report. Well… I have no time to do that… but still hope my attempt at brevity will make this useful report! Now on with the narrative:

Post 3:Pre-trip (handled by Princess) (with a surprise story)

Ever since we did a “Disney handle everything” Disney cruise, I have paid to have all the pre and post cruise things handled by the Cruise line. Ever since we literally (and I am NOT kidding) almost missed our 1998 cruise by 10 minutes, we stay in embarkation port city night before.

So we did the Princess pre thing. As I expected, it was all smooth & courteous. We stayed at Captain Cook hotel and was nice. My one complaint (and another Princess traveling family complained too…) was that for all we paid, I was surprised they didn’t include a breakfast voucher… I put on my survey to PCL to consider negotiating one with hotels and including in the package…

Now for our story. This is the only extraneous narrative I will include in this entire trip report.

So we are a family of 6 now. But our oldest daughter could not do the cruise due to teaching summer school. Well, about 3 weeks before the cruise, she decided to do something else for the summer and called and asked if she could still come.The boat was full, but we soon had another cabin.

Golden tip #2: Princess holds back a sizable number of cabins for possible crew family And huge travel agencies keep blocks of cabins until a few weeks before departure. So if you don’t have the cabin you wanted or cabin type, keep checking online or have your TA call periodically. I bet you can always get what you want.

Back to the drama. We didn’t tell our other 3 kids. Our eldest was flying from a different part of US and was waiting for us at the hotel. We coordinated to the second the time we would walk in her direction near the lobby. I was videoing the family walking down the hall, making them think that I wanted it for a family video, knowing that at that very moment, our daughter was walking out from a store on the left side of me towards them. Below is the reaction of everyone (my wife was in on the secret). How fun!!!

35829140771_86ae3a564f.jpgDSC00705by Scott Young, onFlickr

Next post will be Princess specific comments… stay tuned!

Post 4: Embarkation (includes Princess shuttle from Anchorage)

(yes.. I've moved the post on Princess cruise line specific comments and cabin to near end)

Well as I mentioned in prior post, we used Princess Air and the Captain Cook hotel pre-night. just suffice it to say that in 1998, my wife made it to the cruise terminal, walked up the gangplank, and the ship immediately left. We played it too close to the wire to arrive. Ever since we ALWAYS stay in the port city the night before.

Golden tip #3: Give yourself anxiety insurance: stay in the port city the night before any cruise, with reliable transportation to the ship.

I forgot to show you this view from the plane as we approached Anchorage:

35121398444_e4a4379dda.jpg0143e60c6790a409e0b3551860802612828e0a9485by Scott Young, onFlickr

This is a good a time as any to discuss the southbound versus northbound decision for Alaska cruises (if you are a west coast round trip fan, skip to next section). The problem with northbound: If you neither live on West coast nor a airport hub city, that means you will do a red eye flight… I hate them. I DO acknowledge those who say it’s better to go northbound since you “save” the best part—glaciers—for the end.

Golden tip #4:It matters less whether you go southbound or northbound, but that you have your cabin on the land side. Yes, I know the Captain rotates the boat at the glaciers 360 degrees so all can enjoy. But for the rest of the trip, it’s nice to have more scenery.

Next post: The 2 days of glaciers

Post #5: The 2 days of glaciers

This post speaks for itself: the highlight of the cruise. I have been on quite a few Alaska cruises and all have included glacier bay plus one other major glacier area (Hubbard or Prince William Sound). And I have never been disappointed. Notice that means there have been days with rain, days with no sun, (and of course days that are great). Again, still works out great. You probably have heard that appreciating the glacial blue hue can be better with cloudy day.

Golden tip #5: Getting the wildlife photo: If you are a fanatic in proving you saw that whale alongside the ship or bear on the shore, learn the limitations of your cellphone camera, regular camera, camcorder, AND the ship. #1: don’t forget that you are on a skyscraper… many floors above the water and the item to capture is further away from you than your eye suggests. That cellphone will be critical when something is out there not far away suddenly when you happen to be on deck. The camcorder is the best item, so long as you don’t have to zoom much. Why? 95% of the time either you are moving or the target is moving.When you get home, someone can teach you how to to a “capture screenshot” with your camcorder.

Pic for today:

35151752983_1550cbf693.jpgIMG_0073by Scott Young, onFlickr

Next post: Skagway(helicopter/dogsled)

Post #6: Skagway (helicopter/dogsled)

(whoa! 2 posts in 2 days time... but this will be unusual... too busy...)

For past 3 cruises: if you asked anyone in our family what were their highlights, the helicopter sightseeing/dog sled run was either #1 or #2. But it is very very Expensive. But then again, the cruise is very very expensive.

Golden tip #6:The company that works with Princess, has just started incorporating pictures that you can purchase of your family with the dogs/sled. The pictures are wonderful, but of course not cheap. To capture the surrounding glacier/mountains, they are zoomed out a lot. We made the mistake of waiting until the following day to call and see if there was a way to get the original digital file which can give you the option of a close up print. Bring a flash drive. I bet they would be willing to download the file for you in the office If you bring the drive.

35790991382_4e449cb6cb.jpgIMG_0081by Scott Young, onFlickr

Next post: Juneau (Whale and hike)

Post #7:Juneau (Whale and hike)

I’ve been amazed that every time we cruise in Alaska, my family loves the whale watching excursion. I’m amazed because: 1) never has it been a good weather day, 2) never have we seen both orca (killer) whale and humpbacks: always only one or the other. But I guess my family is whale crazy.

But I'm not!! This time, I struck out on my own and hiked the Nugget trail at Mendenhall Glacier. When you go on your own, most people use either the White or Blue Shuttle, or a taxi. You need to be fine with 15-20 minute waits if you do the shuttle, and be careful to have a reservation if you do the latter (this is solely based on bulletin board posts and a Princess handout). I had the best bus driver ever going to the glacier, who gave a nonstop thoroughly educational commentary. I had the most sullen quiet driver on way back (but that was totally ok with me).

Golden tip# 7: I had researched hiking trails quite a bit, as I wanted to do something a bit out of the way and challenging. All I could find was a dichotomy for my time constraints: either you do the very scenic Nugget trail on often paved trail with the crowds, or you go off on the strenuous longer trail that is just like any forest trail back home. So I did the Nugget, and didn’t regret it (who said cruise excursions needed to be strenuous?)

35829115301_b72717db08.jpgIMG_0090by Scott Young, on Flickr

Next post: Ketchikan(totems and shopping)

• 1 month later...

Post #8: Ketchikan(totems and shopping)

(my apologies this report is soooooo stttrrruuuunnnngggg out. Have had family crisis kind of stuff. Such a blessing from the Lord that we got our cruise done before all that.

Ketchikan has evolved into our easy day, since we have done so many cruises and have done the logger camp show and some other excursions, AND because by now we are getting a little tired (how can that be on a cruise?)

So I did the totem bight excursion. It was very informative, but sadly the particular tour guide did away with the audio system on the shuttle, and did not have a very loud voice for the walking part. So I felt sorry for those to the back of the shuttle/tour group.

35920142326_e02ccb22f8_z.jpgIMG_0134(13) by ScottYoung, on Flickr

35920129446_2b7ea8fa29_z.jpgIMG_0135by Scott Young, onFlickr

Shopping brings us to the next golden tip!

Golden tip #8: The outstanding Juneau bus driver mentioned in prior post had informed me of something I never realized… wonder how many of you knew?... The cruise companies own the stores that are within a few blocks of the pier. It made total sense, as the way the cruise ship pushes going to THOSE stores to get your “free” trinket, and you get a “discount” there. The locals strongly urge making sure you get past the first couple of blocks of the pier. I might add that independently of this, one of my kids complained about pushy sales people in the stores that were close to the ship. I’m sure there are exceptions… just be wise.

Next post 9: At sea days/ship activities

Post 9: At sea days/ship activities

Sure seemed like fewer activities during the day than I remember from the past. (Same number at night). I will comment a bit more when I do a Coral Princess specific post later.

Golden tip #9: And this means GOLDEN: I am a math person. And every time I play bingo I am amazed at the odds. Don’t worry, I long long long ago realized that I should look at it more like a movie or performance, and I’m paying for a ticket, not cards.Just do the math sometime. The payout for the pre-Jackpot days is infinitesimal. And yes factor in the jackpot and it probably it something like 3% payout for the week.

No pic today.

Next post 10:The CAPTAIN

• 1 month later...

Post #10: The CAPTAIN

Captainn Tuvo, as dozens of threads attest, is absolutely one of a kind fantastic. He is funny. He is everywhere. He does take his job seriously (and I am absolutely serious). Beware, as he loves to photobomb.

Golden tip #10: Since he is so popular and to be so he has to keep moving, you’ve got to be fast on the selfie photo with him. If he pops up, try to have the sense to quickly open that cellphone camera, turn your camera fill in flash, etc.

35920117956_56aaf4458c_z.jpgIMG_6945by Scott Young, onFlickr

Next post#11: The Food

• 2 weeks later...

Post #11: The Food: I am a “foodie” and loved reading posts on Princess Cruise food. But still, I was not prepared for being as disappointed as I was. (sorry).

The Prelude:I had read posts for many cruise lines, not just Princess, talking about the shrinking portion size. I had studied the menus for the last couple of Coral Princess Alaska routes, and knew that there was a shift from high percentage of fancy main courses to that being moderated by infusion of plain courses(translation: turkey & dressing, and the like). So I thought I was totally prepared.

I was 1 for 2: the drop in fancy fare was about what I had anticipated…

But portion sizes. WOW. We’re talking major size differences. Here is dessert selection

35121403224_cef8ac1c48_z.jpgIMG_6965by Scott Young, onFlickr

(hard to tell from pic… but we’re talking small)

Golden tip #11 (hey, didn’t I only promise 10 tips…a bonus!): It took us only one night, for most at our table to order 2 of everything. Yup, you heard me. I had in past cruises once a week ordered 2 entrees, and couple of times a week ordered couple desserts. But on this cruise: I was ordering 2 in each category every night. And one night, I almost ordered 3 desserts…Below is how I ordered 2 entrees (and yes the lobster was undercooked… first time in life I ate it such… thankfully no price paid.

35790979482_8ff7556024_z.jpgIMG_0116by Scott Young, onFlickr

Next post 12:General comments about Coral Princess/Princess cruise line (with cabin comments)

Post #12: General comments about Coral Princess/Princess cruise line (with cabin comments)

First, Princess: Have you heard, “when in Rome, do as the Romans do.”? Well, this applies here. From my first Alaska cruise with Princess in the 1980’s to this one, I really believe Princess is still the best for Alaska because: 1) As the “Love Boat”, they were the first to really publicize that itinerary and make strong connections with the ports and vendors. And 2) they have made sure they have at least one boat that can do the glacier bay portion.

Next, Princess has evolved… compared to my earlier times with them (all pre-2003), there is less of a British emphasis amongst the senior crew. With that… to me, there is less of the strictly polite demeanor I remembered. Ok that’s very subjective,but just saying.

Next, is that Princess to me before, was a step above Royal Caribbean, HAL, Carnival. Have to say, I now rank it with them. Not a big demotion… just not in a class above. I’m talking about every aspect and every staff/crew. Again, this is subjective, so take with grain of salt.

The CoralPrincess is ok.

Let me start with the demerits. My first impression? As we rounded the bend in Whittier and I saw the ship for first time, I was taken aback. The whole rear part of the boat that is above the pool deck, was not white, but had a marked brown stain of rust. (see pic below) I guess with the elements it would be hard to keep white, but it surprised me. All over the ship there is more wear and tear than I've seen on any other ship.

38783997832_e241f730ce_z.jpgrustOnShipby Scott Young, onFlickr

Good time to talk about staterooms. Per the above, I wasn’t surprised that we had a broken tub stopper, a broken hinge on a closet door, and a real squeaky bathroom door. Just figure that is part of it all (of course informed steward but maintenance was not able to fix.)

But we still loved all 3 cabins (yes, with some out of nest, we had kids in own cabins.) Minisuite was great. I thought worth the extra $, even though just 2 of us used it. D524. BUT BUT BUT our son and daughter in law’s standard balcony A520 was better because its balcony had not only a roof, but the roof extended out. That proved invaluable during the rainy cold days. Lastly, 2 kids had P604 and for first time I realized that a window cabin comes closer to a balcony (I had always thought a window cabin was almost worthless).

Our steward was fair. Did his job. So I let the standard daily gratuity suffice for him. However, I saw a big change in friendliness and interaction in our last 18 hours on ship… and I’m convinced it’s because we didn’t give additional tip or he figured too late to be nice. Again, subjective… just saying… but no question he was very different.

Golden tip #12 (hey, didn’t I only promised 10 tips…a bonus!) IF you are traveling with family or real close friends and have multiple cabins, get different categories but stay on the landside (i.e. port going south, starboard going north) for all. Reasoning: you will save money on having some in cheaper categories, and you easily can enjoy the balcony together when needed. While the Captain does do 360 degree turns at several spots, I really think it’s better to have everyone on the “correct” side throughout.

Next post: Disembarkation/Princess shuttle