Brighton/Gatwick/Amsterdam

We are thinking of staying in Brighton after a cruise, taking a morning train to Gatwick, before our flight to Amsterdam. From the Web it looks as if that is a realistic plan, because there are frequent trains from Brighton to Gatwick. Do you agree? Do you think we are safe taking a mid-day flight out of Gatwick?

I think Crayola means, is it safe to assume that they would have enough time to get from Brighton to Gatwick by train to catch a midday flight.

Caryola, remember to factor in enough time to get through security at Gatwick.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/upgrade-your-airport-experience/

Edited by turnip eater
adding Gatwick website for information to 'breeze through with ease'

I think Crayola means, is it safe to assume that they would have enough time to get from Brighton to Gatwick by train to catch a midday flight.

Caryola, remember to factor in enough time to get through security at Gatwick.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/upgrade-your-airport-experience/

You are right. I was just asking if I could get there in time. I would allow time for security, but the unknown factor is the train. DH is always optimistic that everything will run on time and I always want to allow for the worst. I understand that the rail link between Brighton and Gatwick is not the same company as the southern railway company that is having a lot of problems right now. Is that correct?

I understand that the rail link between Brighton and Gatwick is not the same company as the southern railway company that is having a lot of problems right now. Is that correct?

Errr, kinda right :)

...... and kinda wrong ;)

There are 6 to 8 direct services per hour on weekdays.

Some operated by Southern, some by Gatwick Express, some by Thameslink.

I think they're all under the same Southern "umbrella".

On occasions industrial action has affected all, on some occasions just Southern.

But they do their damnest to keep the Gatwick Express running to schedule.

And there's no wild-cat industrial action - strikes, work-to-rule etc are balloted and announced some days ahead, so you'll not get caught out on the day.

Normally it's not worth worrying about current problems unless you're travelling within a week or two, cos these things normally get sorted out within a few days. But this grief has been going on for 18 months or more. Only a few days at a time, so rarely a problem for the occasional traveller but a massive headache for regular commuters.

What date are you travelling?

And more especially what day-of-the-week?

Brighton to London (which goes thro Gatwick) is a very very busy commuter route, hence the large number of trains.

For European flights you need to be at the airport (the station is right inside the Gatwick South terminal) about two hours ahead - but do keep an eye on updated recommendations regarding time to allow thro security.

You'll be travelling just after the commuter rush (around 9 - 9.30am) so hopefully not the sardine-can experience of regular commuters on this route.

I don't know whether tickets for one operator can be used on another operator's trains when there's industrial action - probably they are, and especially between sister operators. But unless and until you know for sure, best not to buy tickets ahead.

Train fare is around £10 pp, depending on time of travel

If you want to play safe, a pre-booked private car transfer from Brighton to Gatwick costs about £40 to £50 (sorry, no recommendations, but I always reckon an operator based at the start point is the safer bet cos the driver's not going to be held up by traffic grief on his way to the pick up).

Total journey time for a taxi hop to station plus train travel is likely to be about the same as a private transfer from your hotel to Gatwick, around 50 minutes.

If your trip is up-coming, mebbe best to book a private transfer.

If next year, wait and see.

Just MHO as always

JB :)