Faroe Islands/ Torshavn

We will be in Torshavn next Summer for 1 cruise port day (10A- 9P). Any recommendations from others who have visited this area as to the best highlights to see. I do plan to check on TA but thought I would try and get some input from others who have been. Is this a port stop that can easily be seen on our own or is a specific tour recommended?

Thanks!

Torshavn is a pleasant town for a stroll around. Nothing specific that is a must see. The local buses that do a circular route are free for everyone (apparently to persuade people not to bother driving).

There are also a number of taxi firms that offer trips to other parts of the island.

So yes it is possible to DIY if you want to.

Torshavn is nice enough , with an interesting old town. However, I would highly recommend finding time for an excursion that will show you some of the spectacular scenery the Faroe Islands have to offer.

We took a tour to Gjogv, about an hour north of Torshavn, and the scenery was amazing. A genuinely unique and remote part of the world with some stunning mountain scenery and an amazing coastline.

We did a tour with 62N. If you go to their website you can see that they offer different tours for cruise passengers, tailored to the time in port. It was really rainy the day we were there, but we still saw a lot of interesting things, different scenery, had a lunch of local foods at an art gallery/theatre. You can check their website to see what tours they are offering the day your ship is in port. http://www.62n.fo

• 5 months later...
Torshavn is nice enough , with an interesting old town. However, I would highly recommend finding time for an excursion that will show you some of the spectacular scenery the Faroe Islands have to offer.

We took a tour to Gjogv, about an hour north of Torshavn, and the scenery was amazing. A genuinely unique and remote part of the world with some stunning mountain scenery and an amazing coastline.

Simon-t: which tour company did you use? Thanks, Donna

We will be in Torshavn next Summer for 1 cruise port day (10A- 9P). Any recommendations from others who have visited this area as to the best highlights to see. I do plan to check on TA but thought I would try and get some input from others who have been. Is this a port stop that can easily be seen on our own or is a specific tour recommended?

BPCruiser: what did you end up doing in Torshavn? Which tour company did you use? Thanks, Donna

BPCruiser: what did you end up doing in Torshavn? Which tour company did you use? Thanks, Donna

Nothing booked yet, we have changed our original cruise plans and I’m not sure if our new cruise includes a stop in this Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

When we were there a few years ago, we took a public bus from Tórshavn to Klaksvík and back. The scenery was spectacular. You have to get off the bus in Klaksvik as it will be a different bus for the return. We wandered around, had coffee, visited some shops and then headed back. I think it takes about 1 1/2 hours each way. You can't miss the bus station, it is the big blue and white building. Cost was very reasonable but I can't recall the exact amount. We still had time to wander around Tórshavn when we returned.

We also did a tour to Gjogv, which is gorgeous. You may see puffins there, and we also saw people actually hanging hay to dry, by hand. When we visited, we were among the first to get off the ship. There was a very nice craft market set up in one of the buldings near the port, and I purchased a very nice bowl with whales carved into the side, as well as salad servers carved from goat horns.

We very much enjoyed our day in Torshavn, you probably will as well. The one glitch was our tour did not arrive in a timely manner. I was not the one to arrange the tour, so cannot give you the name of the company.

If possible you may want to look into the Vestmanna sea cliff tours that run a boat along one of the islands and which goes in and out of some of the caves in the rock walls. We did that back in 2013 on our 1 day stop at the Faroe Islands.

BTW, we'll be vacationing on the Faroe Islands this September for a much longer stay.