Seeking Recent Reports on Marquesas

Nova Cruisers

Hello - I haven't seen anything recent on the 14 day Marquesas itinerary. I believe Cruise Critic was onboard in October of 2014 but their report did not review the Marquesas. The most recent detailed review that I have seen was Mighty Quinn's from spring 2011. We have been on two other PG itineraries (Tuamotus and Fiji) but would like to know more about the Marquesas specifically. Is Mark Eddowes always on those? If not, who is the alternative lecturer? Could you comment about the excursions, whether PG or private?

If I have missed any recent reviews I would appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction.

Thanks to all!

Hello - I haven't seen anything recent on the 14 day Marquesas itinerary.... Is Mark Eddowes always on those? If not, who is the alternative lecturer? Could you comment about the excursions, whether PG or private?

If I have missed any recent reviews I would appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction.

No, Mark Eddowes is not always onboard. We missed him on our Marquesas trip in 2008. We had an expert on Gauguin instead, which was interesting, and for some perhaps more so, but not for me. We were lucky enough to get a good update from Mark this last September.

Because it was a while ago, I can't comment on excursions in the Marquesas, but I can say that I attempted to help out a friend who's stopping in Nuku Hiva on Oceania next month, and there is very little in the way of private operators there.

Thanks Wendy and Flight Medic. In case anyone else is looking through the blog, the report on Nuku Hiva is at November 3.

She provides info about a tour guide that she did not use. I saw some references to him on TripAdvisor so I am providing his info here:

Nuku-Hiva Tours

Tel/fax: +689 40 920750

NukuHivaTours@gmail.com

Owner: Kevin Ellis (cell: +689 87 22 68 72)

Tour Guide: Phillip Beardmore

I'm sorry to hear about Mark Eddowes but I know he can't do all of the cruises. If anyone comes across any info about the excursions in the Marquesas, please pass it along. I believe the itinerary is only offered twice next year - August and November. I'd also like to hear about the other lecturers. It would be a huge disappointment to not have Mark (again) but if I had someone else to look forward to that would ease the pain! ;)

Thanks all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova Cruisers viewpost.gif

I'm sorry to hear about Mark Eddowes but I know he can't do all of the cruises. If anyone comes across any info about the excursions in the Marquesas, please pass it along. I believe the itinerary is only offered twice next year - August and November. I'd also like to hear about the other lecturers. It would be a huge disappointment to not have Mark (again) but if I had someone else to look forward to that would ease the pain! ;)

Thanks all!

From here, http://www.pgcruises.com/theme-saili...e-cruises/2015, I believe the lecturer will be this person: Caroline Boyle-Turner, Art History Professor: January 24; August 29; November 21, 2015, Sailings

A popular guest lecturer aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin for 13 years, Caroline Boyle-Turner returns to The Gauguin for select 2015 sailings. An acclaimed expert on Paul Gauguin and his circle of artists, she will enrich your appreciation of our ship’s namesake when you join us aboard. Click here for details.

From here, http://www.pgcruises.com/theme-saili...e-cruises/2015, I believe the lecturer will be this person: Caroline Boyle-Turner, Art History Professor: January 24; August 29; November 21, 2015, Sailings

A popular guest lecturer aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin for 13 years, Caroline Boyle-Turner returns to The Gauguin for select 2015 sailings. An acclaimed expert on Paul Gauguin and his circle of artists, she will enrich your appreciation of our ship’s namesake when you join us aboard. Click here for details.

Yes, this is who we had. She was very good, I just would have preferred an anthropologist.

Will continue to check the blog - thanks.

I did see that about Ms. Turner. I don't think she leads excursions but I am glad that Wendy appreciated her art history lectures.

I am also considering the Aranui 5 (new this year) and their coverage of the Marquesas (based on reading about the Aranui 3) seems much more extensive for comparable price and time commitment. I would prefer the PG (the day on the motu is fantastic and my husband likes to dive with them), but without more info I am hesitating to choose the Marquesas itinerary.

Maybe someone from PG reads these boards and will put out more info.

Thanks much.

Will continue to check the blog - thanks.

I did see that about Ms. Turner. I don't think she leads excursions but I am glad that Wendy appreciated her art history lectures.

I am also considering the Aranui 5 (new this year) and their coverage of the Marquesas (based on reading about the Aranui 3) seems much more extensive for comparable price and time commitment. I would prefer the PG (the day on the motu is fantastic and my husband likes to dive with them), but without more info I am hesitating to choose the Marquesas itinerary.

Maybe someone from PG reads these boards and will put out more info.

Thanks much.

Ia Orana Nova Cruisers,

We hope to welcome you on the m/s Paul Gauguin.

For the August 29 Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands sailing, Caroline Boyle-Turner will be lecturing. On the November 21 voyage, Caroline Boyle-Turner and oceanographer Jean-Michel Cousteau will both be lecturing. Mark Eddowes is an acknowledged authority and researcher in the field of Polynesian anthropology and on almost every voyage he conducts an entertaining and enlightening lecture.

We also wanted to provide a link to a recent blog on our Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands sailing: http://www.pgcruises.com/blog/scenes-marquesas-tuamotus-society-islands-voyage

If you would like more information, please contact Paul Gauguin Cruises at 800-848-6172.

Day 45 on the Princess blog is now complete with some good photos.

Thanks very much to PG for providing the PG blog. There are good photos there too. More importantly it's great to know there is a good chance of Mark Eddowes being on the 2015 Marquesas itineraries.

I hope others will continue to chime in about recent experiences (last couple of years or so).

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...