Carnival Breeze 8 Day 1/3/15 Review

Cruzface

Last Sea Day:

This was the cruise of trying something different as much as possible. So we decided to try the Sea Day Brunch in the MDR. The free drink coupon helped us make that decision. Which leads me to Carnival's decision to cancel that coupon and provide a bottle of water instead. Really? I can get free water anywhere on the ship. More cutbacks. It's a shame really.

After 1st breakfast, we tried to find spots in the Serenity area. It was very early around 8:30 a.m. Well I guess we have a lot of early risers on the Breeze because that place was packed. Not with people though. Books, towels, flip flops etc. There were some people who clearly slept out there all night or got there extremely early and brought their comforter from their cabin. Wow.

So we went to the aft area and snagged a few loungers in the sun. I took an awesome nap and before we knew it....Brunch Time!

Our oldest was determined to try Fat Jimmy's after I raved about it. He went super early, waited on line and loaded up. He came back with the meat coma face I know all too well.

The seas were very rough today. Big swells and we really felt it in the aft MDR. We both ordered the steak and eggs and it was fantastic. Probably the best meal of the cruise. I would definitely recommend the Sea Day Brunch.

We did some onboard shopping for pictures and then lounged around until sunset. Another beauty:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B933%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3A85%3A%3A348nu0mrj

Tonight was the 2d Formal night. Now, remember how the 1st one went, we were determined to make it this time in all our formal glory. Well, everything went fine once the boys realized they had the wrong tuxes on. We all looked great. Had our pictures done. DW was a happy camper. We go to the dining room and are seated right away...crammed into a side table right next to the server's station. Now I know we could have asked for another table, but there weren't many people we saw dressed in tuxedos and formal gowns. You would think they would give us a better table.

Then the food and service took a major nose-dive. First they brought the wrong appetizers, then the right ones were cold. The main course was mediocre at best and the baked Alaska for dessert was a paper thin sliver. Disappointing all around. But hey, we got our picture and will not have to do formal night like that again for awhile.

At least Sock Monkey looked like he was having a good time:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33257%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B439769%3B348nu0mrj

After dinner, we all changed into more comfy clothes and headed to the Liquid Nightclub for a party. The crew was having a private party as a farewell to DJ Spike who was leaving at the end of the cruise. They handed out glow sticks and the place was packed. Great time.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv346%3B6%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43976%3A6348nu0mrj

After a night of dancing, we went to bed realizing tomorrow was our last day...Nassau here we come!!!!

You are doing an awesome job with your review -- just the right amount of details, pictures, etc. Kudos! :)

We will be on the Breeze in October (different itinerary). Question: on Liberty the Blue Iguana and Red Frog were actually outside on Lido -- in your pics it looks as if on the Breeze the Red Frog is inside?

Thanks again for a great review!

Thanks. There is a Red Frog on the Lido and then there is the bigger Red Frog on Deck 5 by the Lanai.

I am really enjoying your review. We are on the Breeze in 32 days for the 6-day itinerary. I can't wait to have a Guys Burger for lunch and Blue Iguana Cantina for breakfast.

Did you ever get your bag back??

You'll have to wait and see...:cool:

Nassau, Bahamas

Our last full day on the Breeze. Fortunately, we didn't have to get up too early because the ship didn't arrive until around noon. Captain Massimo Marino always seemed to get us in earlier than the times stated in the Fun Times. We loved his announcements everyday... "Please-a hold the hand-a-rails for-a your safe-a-ty."

It never ceases to amaze me how they bring this huge ship in, spin it, and park it.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv347%3C6%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3A56%3C7348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37%3B66%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3A56%3C8348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37%3A%3B2%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3A56%3C9348nu0mrj

Today we decided to walk to Junkanoo Beach. Now I heard some bad reports about this beach, but we are easy to please and figured how bad could it be. Well, it was awesome. Easy walk and felt safe the whole way. When you get to the beach there are stands for food and alcohol. You can rent loungers and umbrellas if you want, but again, we are simple people and laid our towels on the sand.

Now, there was a bunch of rocks/coral on the beach that made barefoot walking a little difficult (not for us North Shore LIers who are used to walking on rocks and shells). So we just piled them to the side and laid our butts down. Other than that, the sand was a fine white powder.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv362%3C2%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43976%3B5348nu0mrj

The stand as we walked in sold four beers and four shots for $10. Uh oh

To the right of where we were sitting, there was a cement pier that jutted about 30 yards out into the water. The stand as we walked in sold four beers and four shots for $10. Uh oh. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone in our group would do "flippys of the dock." I can neither confirm nor deny that I am the one in this picture doing a cannonball off the pier...

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B739%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43976%3B9348nu0mrj

Sock Monkey loved it here:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35%3A99%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3A%3C9%3C2348nu0mrj

The water was beautiful and clear. Love this picture:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv398%3B2%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3A%3C%3A34348nu0mrj

There is a real party atmosphere at this beach, so if you want a quiet, peaceful place, this is not for you. There was a calypso band with a female singer who was awesome. We tipped them because they were that good. When they took a break, a DJ would play modern dance music. This one was from the Carnival Esctacy. The boys loved it! Members of the crew were at the beach and recognized us. Nice!

After some more $10 deals, and then some more flippys off the dock, DW and I were ready to head back. It was around 3:30. The boys were having none of it. "What? This is our last day! We want to stay! The ship doesn't leave until 7:00!" Etc. So we did something we have never done. We left them at the beach and went to the straw market with explicit instructions to meet us at 4:30 at Senor Frogs.

Despite our nervousness, the boys showed up right on time. So we went into Senor Frogs.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C662%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B439%3C6%3A9348nu0mrj

Then the boys met some friends from the ship. "Please, let us hang out with them! We just have to walk a few blocks to the ship!" Eye rolls from us. Well the first time we trusted them worked out, do we push our luck? This is how every bad event happens. But we suppress our parental fears and relent with a warning to be back on the ship and in our stateroom by 5:30, or I come looking.

So, DW and I go back on ship, hit Guys...awesome. Unfortunately future cruisers will not be able to do that. Then we go to our cabin and busy ourselves with packing and try not to think about all the bad things that could be happening to our boys. At 5:20 there's a knock on the door.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv343%3B6%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B439%3C6%3B7348nu0mrj

Why so early? "We realized that Guys is only open until 5:30 so we didn't want to miss it." Thank you Guy Fieri.

For dinner we hit the buffet because we didn't want to waste our precious remaining hours in the MDR. It was eh. Did we starve, no. Was it great, no. It served it's purpose.

Enjoyed the rest of the night, dancing, shows, comedy, etc.

Since our flight wasn't until 2:40, we didn't have to rush off first thing in the morning. We had a nice leisurely breakfast and then waited in the Lido deck for our zone to be called. Well some of us waited, others slept.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34794%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3B3337348nu0mrj

Pretty smooth getting our bags and through customs. I call SAS to tell them we are ready to be picked up. I had taken pictures of the receipts from my surprise shopping spree and sent them to the owner so he could have a check ready for me when we got back to Miami. These were his instructions. When he answers, he tells me about the death of a close friend and that he didn't have a chance to get the check ready. Not liking where this is going. He tells me to send him my address so he can mail me a check. Right..... OK, what do I have to lose. I will do that.

We wait to be picked up and.....it's the same driver we had on the way here. He remembers me and says that the owner will take care of everything...right....just get us to the friggin airport so I can go to lost and found to see if you left my bag on the curb.

We get there. Pay him, no tip. I ask a security guard where lost and found is. He tells me, but then says it's not open on Sundays.....Oh well. Never gonna see that bag again.

Nice lunch at the Food Network Kitchen in the terminal. Uneventful flight and before you know it we are in the return limo headed home.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv342%3C8%3Enu%3D43%3B2%3E%3A94%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B43%3B3344348nu0mrj

Not ready to give up on my bag, I contact lost and found at FLL and submit a claim. I had also called NCL while we were waiting to board the Breeze just on the chance that my bag went on the Pearl.

About a week after the cruise we are sitting around watching TV when a FedEx truck stops in front of the house. We assume it is for our neighbors because none of us ordered anything. Doorbell rings. I answer.

IT'S MY BAG!!!!!!:eek::D

NCL shipped to me. So apparently the driver took my bag off at the Pearl and it had a great cruise without me! I was charged $23.00 for shipping.

So I text the SAS owner and let him know it was his driver's fault and to add the $23 to the check that I will never get.

As of today, still no check. Don't use SAS Transportation.

This was one of the most enjoyable reviews I've ever read. I LOVE SOCK MONKEY!!!! I want one!!! Great pictures - love the one in Nassau of your son's getting out of the water. I'd get that one blown up and framed pronto. My boss is leaving on the Breeze this Sunday and I've been sharing your review with him.

This was one of the most enjoyable reviews I've ever read. I LOVE SOCK MONKEY!!!! I want one!!! Great pictures - love the one in Nassau of your son's getting out of the water. I'd get that one blown up and framed pronto. My boss is leaving on the Breeze this Sunday and I've been sharing your review with him.

Thank you and we are doing just that with the picture in Nassau.

I will be back with some final thoughts and for any questions tomorrow.

Not ready to give up on my bag, I contact lost and found at FLL and submit a claim. I had also called NCL while we were waiting to board the Breeze just on the chance that my bag went on the Pearl.

About a week after the cruise we are sitting around watching TV when a FedEx truck stops in front of the house. We assume it is for our neighbors because none of us ordered anything. Doorbell rings. I answer.

IT'S MY BAG!!!!!!:eek::D

NCL shipped to me. So apparently the driver took my bag off at the Pearl and it had a great cruise without me! I was charged $23.00 for shipping.

So I text the SAS owner and let him know it was his driver's fault and to add the $23 to the check that I will never get.

As of today, still no check. Don't use SAS Transportation.

I am glad I am not the only one that will not use SAS anymore. Not for the same reason you did but they left us stranded after a cruise. Another couple was also waiting and had a flight to catch in FLL. After 2 hours of calling and waiting we split the cost of a taxi to FLL with the other couple. We crammed everything in the taxi and piled ourselves in and the driver was great in getting us to FLL just in time for the other couple to catch their flight. We did call SAS several times and were always told 10 minutes. After awhile they stopped answering the phone.

Standing by :D We leave on the Breeze on Sunday :D

I am trying to find out who is playing in the Ocean Plaza ? I would really appreciate it if you could find out and post. I am wondering if they will be on board for March 28 th sailing . I would really appreciate it if you would post or send me a fun times

danceboots15@yahoo.com

Thank you

Can you please post anything you have on the band in Ocean plaza ? Do you have Fun Times you can post please . Thank you in advance Jen

Sorry, I don't have the Fun Times. They had different entertainment in Ocean Plaza every night. One night was an 80's theme done by the main theater entertainers. It was awesome.

Some final thoughts and things I left out.

Overall we had a great cruise, but we have never had a bad cruise. We found the staff to be excellent. Always helpful and smiling. I love the set up of Carnival ships. Very simple to navigate. Something needs to be done about the chair hogs, it is really out of control.

Entertainment: I know this is one of the biggest complaints about Carnival and having been on NCL recently, there is no comparison. NCL entertainment blows CCL away. That being said, there was always something going on. We certainly were never bored. The production show we went to was actually very good. The comedians at the end of the cruise were great. The lido entertainment was awesome. Lyl played a one man calypso band and he would team up with the guitar player Bobby and they would jam. They really seemed to love their jobs.

Mambo Kings I mentioned before were excellent. We danced to their music and had a great time.

Deck Parties: There were several throughout the cruise but as I mentioned they always were organized dances. Not a real party atmosphere.

Piano Bar: it was OK, we spent a little time there, but not really our thing.

Food: Pizza is very good. I am a pizza snob from NY. But this was great. Thin crust and many choices. You can order a whole pie just for yourself.

Deli: always good in a pinch. Also it is open late for snacking...

Tandoori: we loved the chicken Kabobs and the grilled veggies.

Buffet: seemed to have less choices than we remember on our previous cruises but we always found something to eat. At breakfast the regular eggs were nasty (obviously powdered) and the bacon had very little flavor. Omellete station is the best bet.

MDR: hit or miss, but mostly hit. Nobody left hungry and nobody got sick...

Guys: the best thing on the ship.

Blue Iguana Cantina: only had a breakfast burrito there. It was fantastic.

Stateroom: our first Cove and we are hooked. We loved the privacy it provided. Especially when you see the lack of privacy the upper balconies have. Loved being so close to the water. Also great view of the dock runners. Always amazes me that people are so late getting back to the ship.

Slides: I did the yellow slide and it was ridiculous. I was flying down that thing and had no idea when it would end. Keep your butt up.

Past guest party: this was the same as in previous years. The servers will get you any drink you want as many times as you want. Don't fall for the ploy to go up on stage and dance. They will take your drinks away.

Embarkation and Debarkation: smooth on both ends although we did wait an inordinate amount of time for our bags after debark.

Would I sail the Breeze again? Probably. But there are so many other choices, we like to try something new.

I am trying to find out who is playing in the Ocean Plaza ? I would really appreciate it if you could find out and post. I am wondering if they will be on board for March 28 th sailing . I would really appreciate it if you would post or send me a fun times

danceboots15@yahoo.com

Thank you

I would say this was my favorite review. Everything was real life no drama about lame stuff. Great pics. The 10 deal at the beach was my fav I would be the one flipping. Oh I am sailing on the March 28th on the Breeze cant wait. Been on her before and its my fav ship.

Thank you for doing a review! I know they can take some time and effort to do, especially longer trips! Hubby and I are sailing on this same itinerary at the end of the month (2/28) and this helped get me excited for it, it will be great to be back on the Breeze :D

Cheers!