Military Discounts - Do they really exist???

Texas SAE

Hi All! I'm brand new to Cruise Critic. My wife and I have taken a few cruises previously, but we're not a pro by any means! I have a question that I'm hoping the seasoned cruisers can help me with.

I have been checking on some cruises out of Galveston, TX. on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. They SAY they have a Military Discount, but when I click on the Military Discount tab, the price that comes up is the same as the regular published rate for that cruise. Doesn't sound like much of a "discount" to me.

Are there any true Military Discounts out there (or any other REAL discounts)? I have checked a bunch of supposed "Discount Cruise" sites and everyone I've checked have the same rate as the published rate on Carnival's and RCCL's website, although they CLAIM to be 72% off, 80% off, etc...

If anyone knows where to get an actual real discount (military or otherwise) I would appreciate you sharing the info. Thanks!

Mike

Yes there are military discounts but they are not offered on every ship or every itinerary - it will vary. But there is a section on the booking area with RCI - as example - where you can select the various discounts offered - military, police, fire, residency, and 55+ - and it will tell you the various ships and itineraries that are offering each.

As to extremely discounted prices, don't believe it. The mass market cruise lines pricing is the same directly or through TA's and the only non-cruise line sponsored discounts or perks typically available through a TA are those coming either directly out of their pocket from their booking commission, or modest group or block room bookings they are sponsoring. That may also have a price that may be lower from when they blocked them v when you check with the cruise lines. In a TA sponsored group or blocked rooms you are limited in stateroom selection to those held by the TA, which may not be your first choice.

Also there are some TA's that will charge you fees seperate from those that may be charged by the cruise lines for originating, modifying, changing, or canceling a booking made through them. There are also many that do not - it pays to ask up front to be sure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Princess gives OBC to all qualifying military and former military personnel. Look on Princess.com for specifics. The amount is $50 to $250 depending on the length of the cruise. Each eligible person gets this OBC every time they sail with Princess.

Thanks. We were looking at a 7 day cruise on either Carnival or RCCL.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL does not give any Military discounts.

But those cruise lines that do -- a lot depends on cruise line and the length of the cruise.

If you are looking at a short 3 or 4 day cruise -- doubt if you will get anything.

Hi All! I'm brand new to Cruise Critic. My wife and I have taken a few cruises previously, but we're not a pro by any means! I have a question that I'm hoping the seasoned cruisers can help me with.

I have been checking on some cruises out of Galveston, TX. on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. They SAY they have a Military Discount, but when I click on the Military Discount tab, the price that comes up is the same as the regular published rate for that cruise. Doesn't sound like much of a "discount" to me.

Are there any true Military Discounts out there (or any other REAL discounts)? I have checked a bunch of supposed "Discount Cruise" sites and everyone I've checked have the same rate as the published rate on Carnival's and RCCL's website, although they CLAIM to be 72% off, 80% off, etc...

If anyone knows where to get an actual real discount (military or otherwise) I would appreciate you sharing the info. Thanks!

Mike

Princess gives OBC all the time. as for everyone else, you basically have to get lucky and book an itinerary and cabin category that qualifies. to date we have only gotten a military discount once.. on Disney.

Mike

First and foremost thank you for your service. The only thing I have ever actually received from any of the cruise lines we've been on is from Princess, once I filled out the form it has been added permanently to my file and I automatically get the OBC added. The amounts do very on the length of the cruise, $100 for a 7 day cruise. But just the thought of appreciation goes a long way for me. :-)

Edited by Moondogy

Thanks for the feedback. We did take a cruise last November on Disney with our Granddaughter. Disney gave us a $250 Military Discount AND an upgrade to a a cabin with a balcony. It ended up being cheaper than an inside cabin ! I guess I thought the Military Discount on the other cruise lines would be somewhat comparable. I guess I was gind of disillusioned when Carnival's and RCCL's "Military Discount" was NO discount at all !

Mike

First and foremost thank you for your service. The only thing I have ever actually received from any of the cruise lines we've been on is from Princess, once I filled out the form it has been added permanently to my file and I automatically get the OBC added. The amounts do very on the length of the cruise, $100 for a 7 day cruise. But just the thought of appreciation goes a long way for me. :-)

Pick a cruise and request pricing from more than one TA. Many cruise lines do not allow discounting.

The one I am familiar with is (here it comes again) Princess. If you request pricing from a TA, they will almost always give you a discount.

Also, search on Google for websites that let TAs bid for your business.

We did that last month and got an offer for an oceanview that was less than the requested inside price.

While I can't speak for other cruise lines, I do know that, on occasion, Carnival will sometimes offer a "military appreciation rate". Our PVP (personal vacation planner) once contacted us a few years ago about a military appreciation rate being offered on certain cruises in February. The rate was pretty much identical to the Early Saver rate. We ended up getting a balcony cabin for the same price as an ocean view. Those offers don't come along very often, and they're not always advertised. If you're working with a good travel agent or PVP, and he/she knows you're former military, he/she will let you know if and when that special rate is being offered. Just make sure your agent has a copy of your DD214. ;)

Mike

http://www.ncl.com/promo/military

Do you have an MWR Ticket and Tours office near you? If so, check with them. Ours books cruises and I would assume they get some form of price break. Sadly, often military "discount's" are really much of a discount. There is an agency that books discounted cruises for military. Let me see if I can find it.

ETA:

http://www.militarycruisedeals.com/

As always, shop around for the best deals. You will probably find better deals than the military discount.

Edited by Rebel54

Cruise lines that have military rates do not offer them on all cabin categories, and not all levels within a category. I have sailed Carnival with a military rate, and Celebrity. I have seen rates on Celebrity that were about 45% of the regular rate. EM