Simple transportation....

ljandiernp

Hi, I was very happy to see that "Air Force One" is providing a simple round trip transportation to various beaches for a flat price. Unfortunately they are not available when we are in St Thomas in October. Can anyone make a suggestion on how to prearrange pick up and drop off at the beach of our choice? We'd like to go to Secret Harbor. Thanks, Laurie

How many people in your group?

Hi, there are 4 of us in our personal group; we are arriving on a cruise ship and there are potentially a very few more people who may join us, I'd guess up to 4. I want to arrange something specific, not rely on the grab and go taxi's waiting at the port. I have done that before and ended up going with the preferred flow to Coki; I am specifically looking to go to Secret Harbor without being coerced to do something else :D Thanks for your suggestions, Laurie

Not sure who or how you were "coerced" into a location other than Secret Harbor, but on our last three trips to St. Thomas, we've just asked for a taxi to Secret Harbor and were taken directly there. We have walked to the taxi dispatch area which is beyond the shops if that makes any difference. Secret Harbor will call a taxi for you when you are ready to depart or you can arrange with the driver who dropped you off to return at a designated time. Enjoy! It's truly beautiful!

Not sure who or how you were "coerced" into a location other than Secret Harbor, but on our last three trips to St. Thomas, we've just asked for a taxi to Secret Harbor and were taken directly there. We have walked to the taxi dispatch area which is beyond the shops if that makes any difference. Secret Harbor will call a taxi for you when you are ready to depart or you can arrange with the driver who dropped you off to return at a designated time. Enjoy! It's truly beautiful!

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just tried to find a visual of the area on You Tube, hoping to get a view of the port to refresh my memory of the area you are referring to. One year we pre-hired a taxi to go to Secret Harbor and I wish I could remember who it was. What typically happens to me is I walk out to the area where a person is asking where you want to go, and puts you in a taxi with others who are going in the same direction. This makes perfect sense of course; it is very efficient, these folks work hard to make a good living and we ARE on island time. But as an example of my previous experiences, when we were there in December we were directed into a into a taxi van with another family and a couple who wanted to go to Coki; we were told the driver would drop them off, then go to our requested location on his way back to the port. Once we were underway the driver suggested that we should go to Coki as we would enjoy it very much, and throughout the ride he continued to pursue that suggestion. When we got to Coki Beach he got out of the car to assist the other passengers to be greeted by a member of his family who was working at the beach and would help them with chair rentals etcetera. We were still waiting in the taxi while this was taking place. He then walked over to chat with a friend in the parking lot and to see if there was anyone who wanted transport back. I want to emphasize that I have NO problem with this being how things work! But after we spent about 20-25 minutes waiting for him to consider moving on, we got a bit frustrated and when the driver again suggested that we'd have a lovely day right there and we decided to just stay (so maybe I should say I finally gave in rather than say I was "coerced," but nonetheless we felt that arguing the point was just going to place a damper on an otherwise pleasant trip). Coki is lovely and we did have a pleasant time; it just wasn't the quiet beach day I wanted and I have been there many times previously. So rather than go against the grain of typical service I'd prefer to hire someone to take us where we want to go at an agreed upon rate, so that no one's expectations are dashed. Laurie

Edited by ljandiernp

Yes you just need to get a taxi that will be going to SH. Many drivers want to take you to Coki because it's a "public" beach (aka not home to a condo property) and their friends/family make a living at Coki.

Taxis will be available at SH for your return as it's one of the top beaches day visitors frequent.

Enjoy!

I have seen/heard taxi drivers trying to talk people out of going to Sapphire and other beaches, because they want to go to the closest beaches with the most number of people. Arranging transport in advance is much less stressful and personal.

Hi, continue to look for suggestions; go no reply from the person at the other end of the previous suggestion including email and phone call. Thanks, Laurie

Have you tried Dean's taxi or Stanley Coram? If not you'll find their contact info by using the search function. We (2 couples) enjoyed a private van tour with Stanley, he had room for another couple.

Edited by blue_water

Hi, there are 4 of us in our personal group; we are arriving on a cruise ship and there are potentially a very few more people who may join us, I'd guess up to 4. I want to arrange something specific, not rely on the grab and go taxi's waiting at the port. I have done that before and ended up going with the preferred flow to Coki; I am specifically looking to go to Secret Harbor without being coerced to do something else :D Thanks for your suggestions, Laurie

There are regular cabs available at the pier in addition to the safari buses. A cab will take the four of you right to Secret Harbor, no questions asked. (Plus it will just be the four of you no extra tag alongs.)

Have you tried Dean's taxi or Stanley Coram? If not you'll find their contact info by using the search function. We (2 couples) enjoyed a private van tour with Stanley, he had room for another couple.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I emailed Dean earlier this evening and I will certainly try Stanley now. Laurie

That would work for 4 ppl...

Hi, I've been meaning to pursue this with those of you who have responded. Another poster mentioned walking somewhere beyond the safari taxis and finding someone to transport us to the beach and to return later to pick us up. I looked at pictures of the port area trying to figure out where she's referring to; it looks like walking out beyond the shops toward the road? I understand the conceptual idea (ideal ;) ) however I haven't experienced this as an option in the past. I'm very willing to try anything, I just need to have the info to pursue this option. Thanks for being willing to keep responding to enlighten me! Laurie

Hi, I've been meaning to pursue this with those of you who have responded. Another poster mentioned walking somewhere beyond the safari taxis and finding someone to transport us to the beach and to return later to pick us up. I looked at pictures of the port area trying to figure out where she's referring to; it looks like walking out beyond the shops toward the road? I understand the conceptual idea (ideal ;) ) however I haven't experienced this as an option in the past. I'm very willing to try anything, I just need to have the info to pursue this option. Thanks for being willing to keep responding to enlighten me! Laurie

Instead of trying to explain where to get the cab, here is an image. Use Google Earth to find this spot if you want the whole dock area.

20808082444_b4e1d34e65_o.jpg[/url]

You can hire a taxi at the place indicated on the map where you will be assigned a taxi by the dispatcher.

If you walk past that area towards the main road, there will be additional drivers offering taxi services. Since there is no dispatcher, you deal directly with the driver. Not sure how or if they handle small groups.

Thank you everyone! I have secured a commitment from Dean at Dean's Taxi Service to transport us. I am happy to have a pre-trip arrangement as previously discussed. He has been very quick to respond and seems like just the ticket for us. In turn I'm going to see what I can do to fill his van for him. Laurie