How often does Tracy Arm get cancelled?

Alliwanttodoiscruise

So here is our dilemma. I had picked Holland America ms Volendam for our 2015 cruise because it meets our desire for round trip out of Vancouver with a visit to Glacier Bay. However my children (who will be 13 and 11) are going. The radiance of the seas would be better for them I think. However Royal doesn't go to Glacier Bay. I have read reports on here of missing Tracy Arm due to ice in the narrow passage. That seems like a big chance to take. We could end up going to Alaska and not seeing the glaciers which seems unacceptable.

For the experienced Alaska cruisers: how many times has your Tracy arm been cancelled and what month was it?

We went in early June and got about 3/4 the way into Tracy Arm before we had to turn around because of ice bergs. It was awesome.

Although we loved the fjord, the cruise was so amazing it would not have ruined the trip if we could not have gone in.

I have tried 4x to go and missed it 4x. 2x in end of May/early June and 2x in July.

My first cruise to Alaska was on the Radiance. We were scheduled to go to Hubbard glacier and was iced out. I can tell you it was incredibly disappointing to have the only glacier on our route cancelled.

I would go with Glacier Bay, especially if you think it will be your only chance. For as long as I have been cruising, I don't know anyone who has missed Glacier Bay. I read one account 15 years ago and that was it.

I have been to Tracy Arm three times now - early June, Mid June and late June - in mid and late June we had no problems getting close - the first time in early June we did not get very close - but the captain sent the ships photographer out in the zodiac and he got some wonderful photos - which they sold at a discount that day only.

I suggest that you take a look at Google Earth or maps and look at the fjord and glacier areas - you will see that getting in front of the glacier is almost impossible for a cruise ship - no matter what the ice conditions are. The best they can do will be about 1/3 to 1/2 mile away - in most photos taken from ships there is a rock formation on the left hand edge of the photo - this rock blocks the view of the left hand portion of the glacier. Really the only way to see the glacier head on is from one of the small boat excursions - which is how I saw it on my third trip - when I finally got to see Glacier Bay.

Sometimes it is not necessarily the actual ice that is the problem - but rather the time it takes to plow through and around it. Cruise ships are on a tight port schedule and captains will sacrifice scenic cruising of Tracy Arm to keep the port schedule. Most will not even try for Tracy - but head directly to Endicott Arm as the alternate. While you are on the map search for Dawes Glacier - it is the one at the end of Endicott arm and is the alternate to Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm.

There are some folks here on these boards who have never got close to Sawyer Glacier in many more tries than me - even out into July - so it is more about luck.

Tracy Arm is a dead end 30 mile fjord with glaciers at the end. Overall only about 25% of the ships get close up glacier views. The distant views aren't good in my opinion. It is "necessary" to budget for the add on ship tour, in my opinion, since it is so grossly superior to any cruise ship transit.

In May and early June, it is common for ships to not even bother with the transit and they will go to Endicott Arm instead. Again only my opinion, but this is a less exciting place compared to many other's I've seen.

So here is our dilemma. I had picked Holland America ms Volendam for our 2015 cruise because it meets our desire for round trip out of Vancouver with a visit to Glacier Bay. However my children (who will be 13 and 11) are going. The radiance of the seas would be better for them I think. However Royal doesn't go to Glacier Bay. I have read reports on here of missing Tracy Arm due to ice in the narrow passage. That seems like a big chance to take. We could end up going to Alaska and not seeing the glaciers which seems unacceptable.

For the experienced Alaska cruisers: how many times has your Tracy arm been cancelled and what month was it?

Your concern about going on an Alaskan cruise and not ending up seeing a glacier was my concern for my first cruise to Alaska. I eliminated cruises to Hubbard and Tracy Arm because like you, I wanted to make sure I would be seeing a glacier area. I had read too many reports of people not getting close to Hubbard and Tracy Arm. I just didn't want to risk it. ( Our cruise went to Glacier Bay and College Fjords and we had enough time in Juneau to actually take the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm, so we ended up with an awesome experience.)

I am not sure what your concerns are about the Volendam, but I can say that I have read alot about the kids programs on the various ships. (I hope to take my grandchildren some day). I would not hesitate to go on a HAL ship with kids. I have read many good things and I often read how many children actually like the HAL program because there is better ratio between kids and program leaders. I know this does not mean your children will love it, but like I said, from all I have read, I would be comfortable choosing HAL for kids. I was on two HAL cruises (one on the Volendam) and ran into children who would leave the dinner table early so they could get back to the kids club. To me this spoke very highly of the programs on HAL.

I think the main thing you could do to help your children have a wonderful time is to start them reading now about Alaska. Have them learn about each port and glacier area you will be seeing. Let them help choose some of the excursions. If they are well prepared for what they are about to see, the whole experience is going to be so much better.

Whatever ship you choose, have a wonderful time. Alaska is an awesome place.

Edited by vbmom87

I suggest that you take a look at Google Earth or maps and look at the fjord and glacier areas - you will see that getting in front of the glacier is almost impossible for a cruise ship - no matter what the ice conditions are. The best they can do will be about 1/3 to 1/2 mile away - in most photos taken from ships there is a rock formation on the left hand edge of the photo - this rock blocks the view of the left hand portion of the glacier. Really the only way to see the glacier head on is from one of the small boat excursions - which is how I saw it on my third trip.

Also realize that even on the small boat experience, you may still miss the glaciers at Tracy Arm. 2 of my 4 tries were on a small boat experience. First time, we ran out of time due to ice and that fact that 2 of us were on a cruise ship and had to make it back to the ship in time. Second time, we just went to Endicott Arm right from the start.

We've cruised Alaska a few times, 3 of which had Tracy Arm on the itinerary. Although all of them 'entered' Tracy, only one got within eyesight of the Glaciers (and by 'eyesight'-way in the distance I could see a little bit LOL). If it were my one opportunity to visit Alaska, I'd prefer a Glacier Bay sailing, but it's not at all like Tracy is a disappointment. It really is gorgeous in the fjord itself :)

As a parent of 11 and 15 yo daughters I totally see your dilemma. We went through this same kind of decision last summer and that is how we ended up taking Seattle round trip on Carnival. I think seeing Glacier Bay is a once in a lifetime experience, however, I personally would not even consider taking my 11 and 15 yo daughters on a HAL ship. They would be bored out of their minds and I would be miserable the whole trip.

I think you have to consider the overall trip and not just one day. Yes, you might not get very far in to Tracy's Arm. Last summer we didn't get very far in due to ice, but the sail in through the fjord was amazing. Also Medenhall makes for a very nice day in Juneau, with or without a whale watch. You can get closer to a glacier at Mendenhall than you will be able to on any ship.

If your number one priority is to sail roundtrip out of Vancouver and these are your only choices I personally would pick Royal and know my kids are going to have a great time, my husband and I will get at least a little alone time and we will get to see Alaska (and you won't feel cheated). Now if your main priority is what you will see in Alaska then I'd rethink the roundtrip Vancouver part - Glacier Bay is amazing, there is nothing like it but I wouldn't let seeing it possibly ruin our whole trip.

(disclaimer: I've never sailed on HAL or Royal, but we have friends in their 60's that sailed on HAL in early June and said they felt young and bored the whole trip. I think what is fun for a 3-8 year old is not the same as the kids get up in to their tweens and teens and having a really fun and good program will make or break your vacation.)

You don't go to Tracy Arm just for the Sawyer Glacier.. the Fjord itself is the highlight, not Sawyer. Unlike Hubbard where the highlight is the glacier itself and nothing else.

I'm been told by Allen Marine Tours via email, one of the two operators of the Tracy Arm boat tours few months ago, that the current captain of Norwegian Sun is very good at bringing the ship closer to Sawyer Glacier compared to other cruise ships.

Can someone confirm this.

The Sun and the Jewel have both been spotted as close as cruise ships can possibly get - I saw the Jewel in 12 while on the Allen Marine tour off the Pearl - and have seen photos of the Sun from 08 where she was also very close. NCL has been known to pour on the coals in open waters so they can spend more time in places like Tracy Arm.

I was on NCL Jewel last August 10th sailing. We could not go into see Sawyer Glacier. They said because of ice. So, we went up Endicott. It was pretty along the way, and we did get pretty close to the glacier.

We said out of Seattle since that's where we live. So our choices for cruising to Alaska are a bit different. We can go with NCL and do either Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier cruises.

I preferred Glacier Bay. I loved the fact that park rangers came aboard for the entire day. They were available on deck to answer questions. One ranger narrated the entire day, pointing out what you were seeing along the way. And letting you know when you needed to pay special attention to wildlife, etc. Plus, you do pass a couple of other glaciers, and we saw some awesome calving before we even made it to the end of Glacier Bay to the main glacier.

It was just an awesome day. We even saw some big bear along the beach at the end glacier.

I would pick Glacer bay!! TO this day I regret that my second cruise with my kids and parents we choose Tracy Arm. While nice didn't compare to Glaicer Bay.

Kind of like comparing steak from Ruth Christy to Outback. Yeah Outback may be nice, but sorry it ain't close to really good steak.

Tracy Arm is beautiful and worth a visit, but it ain't no National Park and can't compare to Glacier bay!

I think you have to consider the overall trip and not just one day. Yes, you might not get very far in to Tracy's Arm. Last summer we didn't get very far in due to ice, but the sail in through the fjord was amazing. Also Medenhall makes for a very nice day in Juneau, with or without a whale watch. You can get closer to a glacier at Mendenhall than you will be able to on any ship.

I disagree about Mendenhall. On my first cruise, we missed Hubbard Glacier and we did go to Mendenhall to view the glacier (not land on it) and I was very disappointed. It definitely is not a substitute for Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier.

Mendenhall to me is very underwhelming from the viewing part. I hear landing on it is spectacular but it costs $$$$.

I would never recommend people take Tracy Arm and say if you miss the glacier, you will be content with Mendenhall glacier, especially having been to Glacier Bay, College Fiords and Hubbard Glacier.

The Sun and the Jewel have both been spotted as close as cruise ships can possibly get - I saw the Jewel in 12 while on the Allen Marine tour off the Pearl - and have seen photos of the Sun from 08 where she was also very close. NCL has been known to pour on the coals in open waters so they can spend more time in places like Tracy Arm.

I think at one time or another, all ships can get close. A friend worked on an NCL ship last year and her emails to me were sometimes week after week of not seeing the glaciers at the end. She said passengers were very disappointed each time. I think NCL probably has as good of a chance as the other ships and is no better or no worse.

The only cruise line that I have heard that does exceptionally well is Disney as they allot far more time than any other line.

The NCL's Sun's IT when you take the 14 day back to back is unbeatable when it comes to glacier viewing.. and add to that is the price is way way cheaper if you compare it with Princess equivalent Back to Back Voyage of the Glaciers grand adventure.

I've been to Glacier Bay only from HAL's Volendam in 2012, but when Sun's new IT was released early 2013. I immediately booked for this upcoming 2014 season without second thoughts. Being very early that time I was able to get the entire 14 dyas at only around $800 inside twin sharing.

Northbound, it goes to Glacier Bay then Hubbard the next day. Then Southbound, you visit Hubbard again then Tracy Arm.. all in just one 14 day sailing. And since Hubbard is hit and miss, I'll get 2 chances to view them.

As for College Fjord, only Princess goes there but I'll just book a 26 Glacier cruise in Whittier just beside the Ship during turnaround day to have a glance on it, and also book Davidson Glacier in Skagway with Alaska Adventures, or perhaps Mendenhall Glacier trek with Above and Beyond for a chance in the ice caves..and there!! almost complete Glacier viewing experience..

So won't decide whether Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay or Hubbard.. the ship goes to all 3!!

Personally I would take Glacier over any of the others mentioned in this thread.

Granted each one has it's own beauty and drawing power, but Glacier out does all of the others for it's colors and size.

AND all three of our cruises they were all with HAL. Every time, the Captain's of the ship was able to get us really close. I have some absolutely AMAZING photos.

All three of the cruises had children on them. I have never seen a group of kids be so excited about an area for kids only (and I am a Middle/High School teacher). Kids asked to leave the dinner table before they were done, they had to get back to the "Club"! The other thing mentioned is that the "Club" wasn't a babysitting room but full of fun things and all kinds of activities. The Club directors are trained for that specific position and ALL of the kids will be safe and well occupied. It also gives the children an opportunity to be around others their own age.

BUT which ever cruise you chose, you will have a wonderful trip. Alaska is totally awesome.

Barbara

Previous Cruises

Westerdam - Alaska - September 2009 - 7 days

Rotterdam - Alaska - September 2010 - 7 days

Oosterdam - Mexican Riveria - April 2011 - 7 days

Amsterdam - Alaska - September 2012 - 14 days

In the Planning Stages -

Panama Canal - 18 to 20 days - February 2015

Edited by Okie1946

One issue not often mentioned is that the cruise ships are scheduled for different amounts of time in Tracy Arm Fjord. There is a port schedule where you can find this out. I remember reading a few years ago that Disney was making it to the end of Tracy Arm regularly, where as other cruise lines were not. Come to find out, Disney had several hours more allotted for the transit. When the fjord is icy, the ships have to travel slower. When it appears they will not be able to make the full transit in their allotted time, they turn around, telling their passengers it is not safe. Yet, ships, like Disney a few years ago, had the extra time allotted so they could continue on. I haven't checked current port times for the various ships and I have no idea how accurate they are, but it is a starting point.

I disagree about Mendenhall. On my first cruise, we missed Hubbard Glacier and we did go to Mendenhall to view the glacier (not land on it) and I was very disappointed. It definitely is not a substitute for Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier.

Mendenhall to me is very underwhelming from the viewing part. I hear landing on it is spectacular but it costs $$$$.

I would never recommend people take Tracy Arm and say if you miss the glacier, you will be content with Mendenhall glacier, especially having been to Glacier Bay, College Fiords and Hubbard Glacier.

I enjoyed seeing Mendenhall, and if I never saw the other glaciers along the cruise route, I would have been impressed. However, like you I have seen all the major glacier areas along the cruise route and Mendenhall is no comparison. Perhaps seeing it from a helicopter or small plane would be better, but like you I have not experienced that.

As a parent of 11 and 15 yo daughters I totally see your dilemma. We went through this same kind of decision last summer and that is how we ended up taking Seattle round trip on Carnival. I think seeing Glacier Bay is a once in a lifetime experience, however, I personally would not even consider taking my 11 and 15 yo daughters on a HAL ship. They would be bored out of their minds and I would be miserable the whole trip.

Although I have sailed twice to AK on HAL, I haven't taken kids on HAL either, but being a former teacher I always strike up conversations with families and children. I have to say the children I have met have loved HAL. I will never forget the young man who was served his meal immediately while the adults ate, so he could go back to the Kid Club. A teenager I got to know pretty well, cried the last few days before the end of our 14 day Alaska HAL cruise because she knew her fun was ending and she didn't want to leave her new found friends.

I have grandchildren I hope to take to Alaska one day, so I read a lot about kids programs. I find that people who have never taken their kids on a HAL ship are most critical of HAL for children. Those who have taken their kids on HAL come back with much more positive reviews. I will never forget reading the comments of one person who said their child liked the HALs kids club better than the Disney one. In this case if I remember correctly, they liked the ratio of child to leaders better and they therefore got more attention. We are all different in what we like, so I don't think we should assume anything for someone else.

We have stayed at National Park lodgings. They didn't even have TVs. We had brought games and played with our children in the lounges. No one was ever bored.

Key to me with kids is taking a lot of time before the trip preparing them for destination and what they will see.

My daughter went on the Volendam for her honeymoon and had a great time. Would all 25 year olds love HAL? Absolutely not. That is my point. We can't assume anything for anyone else. We need to do our homework and then make the best choice for us. For me though, the best choice will always be about itinerary and never about the ship. But that is me. If someone would be miserable because a particular ship did not offer what is important to them and their family, then they should by all means make a different choice than I or someone else would.

Extremely well said, vbmom - you put into words exactly what I was thinking. I've sailed to Alaska four times (two 7 day itineraries and two 14 day itineraries) all on HAL. About to embark on the HAL 14 day itinerary again this May 18th. Each of those previous four cruises on HAL had plenty of children of all ages enjoying the kids club. Often we were stopped by kids on a 'treasure hunt' to get signatures of passengers from all of the states that they could. Witnessed the kids pizza parties and private movie showings. Saw the kids anxious to leave their dinner table to get back to 'the club' so they could spend time with their friends.

BQ often states that there are all age ranges of people - from infants to seniors on ALL cruiselines for Alaska, and with her experience of sailing to Alaska, I'd take that comment to the bank.

Certainly everyone is different and what they may be seeking for their Alaska cruise could be very different from mine - which is Alaska, not the ship, not the onboard activities, not the shows, not the food or all the bells and whistles like rock climbing walls, ice skating shows. For me (and your mileage may certainly vary;)) - it is all about Alaska, the spectacular scenery, the majestic mountains, and the amazing wildlife of the Great Land. I'm a firm believer that any child, no matter what their age, can be engaged in and enthralled with what Alaska is all about without having to be entertained 24/7. Involve them in the planning, let them choose from a set list of excursions within your budget, take advantage of the ship's programs offered to children that are geared toward Alaska, purchase an inexpensive pair of binoculars for kids to use to search for marine and land-based wildlife, get them involved with onboard ranger programs when glacier sailing - and I guarantee, you'll have yourself a happy child.

Smooth sailing on whichever ship you choose - hope you and your children fall in love with Alaska just like we have!

Glacier Bay is phenomenal; I woud not miss it. Both time we were there (early May 2010 and 2013) and on both HAL ships (Amsterdam and Zuiderdam), we got very close to glaciers and there are just so many of them, all beautiful. I think especially for children and teens, Glacier Bay would be more fun and hold their interest than the other options.