3 adults travelling

60's and holidays!

Hi folks, we are taking my mum(84yr) on the Christmas cruise Melb to NZ and return, it will be on the Golden Princess. Our question is...mini suite with double bed and single couch /pullout or two separate rooms and can we get rooms together? -I am not receiving too much help on room designations from folks I speak with. Oh and money is an issue so can't blow the budget- being a bit price conscious. Cheers!

I see what the problem is, a lot of cabins are sold out on this ship and there are very few left. Not much chance of an adjoining balcony at this point. Most cabins are guarantees. You might call Princess and try to get B708 and B737 - they are balcony cabins on opposite sides of the back end (not very back) of the ship on deck 11, but at least they are reasonably close together.

This is JMO, but the Mini suite is tight for 3 adults. If it were a small child, I would think fine, but 1 bathroom and 3 adults and also the mini suites have tubs - not walk in showers which might be a problem for your mum.

Several premium suites appear to be available on deck 15 and this might be better for your mum if you are going to share as it is very close to the buffet.

The main thing, with your mum's age, you need to think about how tiring this ship will be for her. Do you have a wheelchair or other method of conveyance for her? My dad's 91 and I get a motorized scooter for him just for going to stores because walking is too tiring for him.

Hope you have a great cruise! I think what you are doing for your mum is really nice and I wish I could have done it for my mum!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Oh! I should mention the premium suite is divided into 2 rooms by means of a curtain and the bathroom has a walk in glass shower plus a separate tub. There is an entrance to the bathroom from the living room as well as from the bedroom, which I believe makes this much nicer for 3 adults. Also the balcony will be huge which may be of great benefit to your mum.

Here's a video of one of these types of suites:

According to their website, a "mini suite" on that ship is 363 sq feet, but then it lists the balcony at 61 sq feet. I don't know if that's part of the 363, or additional.

We were 3 sisters (ages 63, 67, 73) in a SS on the Holland America Oosterdam, which is listed as 372-384 sq feet (INCLUDING the balcony). Our bathroom had both tub and shower (which is why we took it - one of us has limited mobility), which made the bathroom bigger than the usual bathroom (2 sinks!). At that size, the three of us were fine. I was the one on the sofabed. (the youngest, of course!!!!)

That said, pay attention to specific information you can find about storage - closet, drawer space, shelves in the bathroom: women can "need" a LOT of stuff. We took one of those vinyl shoe hanger thingies with lots of pockets, hung it on a closet door and used it for lots of our extras. (Brushes, hair products, curling iron, etc.) And using some kind of storage containers - zip locks for your undies/socks/bras - makes it easier if you have to pile things up somewhere.

We had no problems sharing bathroom / shower / hairdryer / make-up mirror spaces. And two of us are pretty high-maintenance in terms of cosmetic needs. But we've traveled together before and have the routine down - "anyone need the bathroom before I take a shower?".......

It wasn't my best cruise ever (those are with my husband!), but I'm so glad we did it (health issues: it won't be possible a few years down the road), so DO IT. Take your Mom. It might not be perfect, but you have to make your memories while you can.

The three of us took our mom to Ireland in the 1970's (it's where her dad came from) and there are NO REGRETS there. DO IT.

It might not be perfect, but few things are. But we take our moments when we can. Go with patience, and tolerance, and you will NEVER regret having done this. As difficult as some moments may be....

Barb ("feathers")

I wonder if they have any accessible rooms available for three people. Quite rightly, these are kept for people who are significantly disabled but the cruise is near now and bearing in mind your mums age they may be willing to let you book one.

Benefits would be a much safer bathroom, additional space if you do decide to take a wheel chair and generally the rooms are larger. Down side is these rooms can seem less pretty and sink heights etc. lower. Just an idea. May be worth a call to the cruise line.

Hi folks' date=' we are taking my mum(84yr) on the Christmas cruise Melb to NZ and return, it will be on the Golden Princess. Our question is...mini suite with double bed and single couch /pullout or two separate rooms and can we get rooms together? -I am not receiving too much help on room designations from folks I speak with. Oh and money is an issue so can't blow the budget- being a bit price conscious. Cheers![/quote']

The accommodation in the mini-suite is normally a double bed (which may be divided into two single beds) plus a pull out couch which the steward sets up and puts away daily, this couch is a double.

The walk in wardrobe arrangement facilitates changing behind a wall in privacy however a robe is required to walk the two steps across to the bathroom whilst retaining modesty. Older daughter finds this an acceptable set up when cruising with dad.

So in conclusion I think it will work to an acceptable level but if you want to spend more on something else that it your option.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I think your would have tons of space for three in a mini-suite. Only advantage to two cabins would be two bathrooms. Mini-suites do have a tub/shower combo, so if this is a problem for your mum you could consider two regular cabins. EM