gymn facilities

contentedgoat

I have never used a forum before, so apologies for anything amiss.

I go on holiday with my autistic son. Being able to use the ship gymn is very important to him.

I would appreciate any information on the gymn facilities of different ships, not including massages and treatments as they are too expensive.

The one on the Ventura (our first and only cruise so far) was pretty much what he wants, plenty of room and equipment, not necessarily anything fancy.

Thank you for your help,

contentedgoat x

It might help if you gave a little more information. For example, how old is your son? I know on RC there is an age limit - it used to be 16 - not sure if that has changed. Also are you referring to free weights, treadmills, other equipment? Most ships have a running/walking track on deck separate from the gym.

Most have all the equip. you'll need, including free weights....treadmiils are pretty much standard on every ship's gym.....all ships have a jogging/walking track...

Most gyms require you to be 16 to use them...but there have been instances where younger kids are accompanied by parent....and they allow it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Don't know how old you son is -- but many cruise lines do have excellent gyms -- but there are age restrictions on some of them.

Get a letter from your doctor, make a copy -- fax it to your cruise line ship services and explain the situation. Make certain that your doctor explains the condition of your son and the fact that he needs to use the gym and that you will be with him supervising what exercises he needs to do.

All cruise ships have very nice gyms with good equipment and usually these are kept up to date, but may only have one set of each size of free weights.

Here is some information on the age question:

Interesting from the P&O website:

"Children under 14 years are not permitted to use the gym, sauna and steam room.

Children aged 14-16 years must be accompanied by a guardian over the age of 18 when using these facilities and may only use the cardio equipment in the gym."

That is very different from most cruise lines which don't allow under 16 or 18. Here are the ages on the major cruise lines:

Carnival: Must be 18+

NCL: Must be 16+

Princess: Must be 16+

HAL: Must be 16+

RCCL: Must be 16+

Celebrity: Must be 16+

I go on holiday with my autistic son. Being able to use the ship gymn is very important to him.

he must be at least 16 to use any gym facility/equipment on Royal and Celebrity

RARELY do they let children under that in for an hour or two on certain days as long as they are working out with a parent.

When you are considering a cruise, go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com. Choose your cruise line, and the ship you are considering. Go to the upper right and find the deck with the gym. Usually there will be little camera icons that are pictures of the facilities. Granted, they are not the largest, but you have to pay to join in order to see them larger, and the cabin photos. EM

My autistic son is thirty four, so age restriction is not a problem.

Thank you all for your help.

Glad the posts were helpful. Once you decide on a cruise, it might be helpful to talk to the special needs department for further information. There is also a handicapped forum on CC.

Enjoy your cruise.