Where can I Find Authentic Souvenirs in Nassau?

travelguy83

Hi,

I tried posting about this in the Bahamas forum, but didn't get much response. I'm hoping some people can help here.

I've got a quick question about souvenirs. Whenever I go to a new country, or any new place, I like to buy something unique that that place is known for rather than just the usual tourist stuff.

I've been hearing that a lot of the stuff in Nassau's Straw Market is made in China. So, my question is: What sort of authentic Bahamian souvenirs is Nassau known to have, and where can I buy them?

I'll be cruising with both men and women, and everyone has an interest in seeing some of this type of stuff. Also, rather than things like food/drink, we'd like souvenirs that you can keep to remember the experience.

So, what can you recommend we shop for, and where are some places to get authentic stuff?

Thanks!

The vendors in the Straw market building all sell the same stuff, nothing great.

There are a few artisans with booths outside that sell there own hand made items. In some cases you can watch them working on one of then. Most are items made of wood.

I do not know of anything else in Nassau that is locally made.

Hi,

I tried posting about this in the Bahamas forum, but didn't get much response. I'm hoping some people can help here.

I've got a quick question about souvenirs. Whenever I go to a new country, or any new place, I like to buy something unique that that place is known for rather than just the usual tourist stuff.

I've been hearing that a lot of the stuff in Nassau's Straw Market is made in China. So, my question is: What sort of authentic Bahamian souvenirs is Nassau known to have, and where can I buy them?

I'll be cruising with both men and women, and everyone has an interest in seeing some of this type of stuff. Also, rather than things like food/drink, we'd like souvenirs that you can keep to remember the experience.

So, what can you recommend we shop for, and where are some places to get authentic stuff?

Thanks!

Genuine, and will help support the local ecconomy

http://www.johnwatlings.com/craftsmanship/rums/buena-vista-rum/ ;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow, I completely forgot to check back with this thread! Thanks to all who have posted already. In my own research I've found that you can get authentic items in Festival Place as well as the following shops: The Plait Lady, Craft Cottage, Bahama Art and Handicraft.

Can anyone confirm that these places do sell authentic stuff?

Thanks

t car is correct. Nassau is known for having a bunch of cheap ¢rap available for sale. So I guess the stuff made in China IS Authentic Nassau Souvenirs

I can't argue with this. :p I do believe the wood carvers outside the Straw Market make most all of their stuff and the prices are not too bad either.:D

When we were in the Bahamas we used a tour company that was incredible. They did take us to a store that was no where near the port that was all hand made items. I wanted to buy them all. Check out Cheryl's taxi and tours. She will have a driver pick you up at the pier. Tell the driver what you want to see and he will take you there. Everyone gives her company awesome reviews.