Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

I only brought this up for purely objective reasons because of all the legal, administrative and identity hassles associated with such a name change. As for tradition, I'm not sure it's such a strong tradition in this country anymore either. My wife and her friends say, if no husband will change his surname when married, why should they? :)

When I married my lovely wife Opal (who I met on "Match.Com") on 2007, I told Her that since she owned property and had a few different bank accounts in Her former "Married Name", that it didnt make sense for Her to go through all the trouble to change her last name to mine. It's worked out pretty well for us. Our passports have different last names, and we've never had any problems when we travel.

My husband, my two kids, and I applied for our passports last Saturday. I've been following updates and all of them were processing normally, today they all show shipped and mine shows not in system (it has showed processing all along) ... Any thoughts?

My husband, my two kids, and I applied for our passports last Saturday. I've been following updates and all of them were processing normally, today they all show shipped and mine shows not in system (it has showed processing all along) ... Any thoughts?

Called today and it turns out they screwed up my social security number when doing the final processing. Its been shipped, but they had to go back through all my paperwork to see If it was my mistake or theirs, DUH!

Called today and it turns out they screwed up my social security number when doing the final processing. Its been shipped, but they had to go back through all my paperwork to see If it was my mistake or theirs, DUH!

How long did it take...I am being told 3 weeks is norm and I need mine in 7 weeks...wondering to expedite it?

How long did it take...I am being told 3 weeks is norm and I need mine in 7 weeks...wondering to expedite it?

We applied on November 26th and I received the first 3 on Tuesday Dec. 6th and the last one today. So less than 2 weeks.

Looks like from meeting future cruising mates on-line-My husband doesn't drink-so neither do I-so we will be the only non-drinkers in the group. Has this happened to you?

This is a thread about passports. You might get a much better response if you pose your question in a new thread!

Theron

Thanks for the all the input - I did get a message back from the passport officials and it was suggested to just carry my passport with with my old name along with certified copy of the marriage license and that should work but the ship still wanted to keep my name in my old name

We got out certified copies within minutes at our county courthouse, they just did them while we waited and - one also needs a certified copy of the application which is the only thing that shows both names, pre and post marriage so don't forgot that as many places want both

Kathy - so looking forward to the honeymoon on the Eclipse Jan 7

:o

This is a thread about passports. You might get a much better response if you pose your question in a new thread!

Theron

I am guessing that blondedago's post was inadvertently posted in the wrong thread due to having more than one CC browser open.

Edited by vjmatty
original was unclear who's post I was talking about

Like everything else in life, it is a personal choice. And those of us that choose to honor the marriage and our husbands by doing this, are willing to go through the legal hoops to share in his name. I did it when I was 18, left my maiden name behind then and no longer want the na:eek:me of my ex husband to carry around and relish the idea and feeling of being Mrs. Wilson -

So, - let's take this thread BACK to the original intent of passport questions not name change preferences.

Kathy Wilson

:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
If you are not intending to fly out of the country. I would get a passport card.

A passport card is a waste of money for any US citizen taking a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise from a US port. An official birth certificate and drivers license are just as good for the purpose of taking the cruise, and if you have an emergency that requires you to take an international flight during the course of the cruise (if you need to fly home, or you miss the ship and have to fly to catch up with it), the passport card is useless as you need a passport book to take an international flight.

Passport cards are very useful for travelers who make frequent border crossings by means other than air between the US and Canada or Mexico, but not very useful for others because they are not valid for international airline flights.

If you're cruising and want to ensure you have the ability to take an international flight if you need to in an emergency, spend a few dollars more for a passport. If you're willing to risk not being able to fly internationally, then just take your birth certificate and drivers license.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...
The last info I had was if you leave from a U S port you do not need a passport. It would be best to go to your cruise web site and check on documents needed. have a good cruise!

To whom were you responding? There are over 800 posts on this thread prior to yours...asking a variety of questions, with a variety of answers.

Passport requirements are not a simple as you suggest. For some people, on some cruises, a passport isn't required. On others they are required. You can't make a blanket statement without reference to or knowledge of the particulars.

Easy way to get your passport processed. The National Passport Day is March 10, 2012. All Passport Offices will be having staff available to help get your passport. (Including many Post Offices). Take your BC and go to the Office and they will help.

Thanks for the info on National Passport Day on March 10.

Here is the link in case anyone wants it:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5535.html

We both do not have passports yet and do realize the importance of having them for emergencies to get off the closed loop cruise, if needed.

We are taking our first cruise next year, a 4 day out of Miami, leaving at 5pm on a Monday and returning 7am on Friday. This is to "test the waters" so to speak to see if we like the cruising experience.

We are contemplating whether or not to get passports. We may not enjoy this experience and not want to take anymore cruises. If we do like cruising, we can get the passports after this short cruise. The expense of 2 passports is a lot if we may not need them again. We have to hope no type of emergency comes up in the 86 hours we are not in the USA. I don't see international air travel in our future.

My question is that my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my drivers license has my married name on it. I have read several posts back something similar (pertained to a newlywed)and I guess I should check w/ the cruise line and assume I am bringing my marriage license with me?

If you were in my shoes with only 86 hours out of the country, would you invest $270 not knowing if you would ever use the passports again, or just do the Driver License and Birth Certificate.

Just out of curiosity about how many cruisers do only bring their DL & BC?

TIA

Thanks for the info on National Passport Day on March 10.

Here is the link in case anyone wants it:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5535.html

We both do not have passports yet and do realize the importance of having them for emergencies to get off the closed loop cruise, if needed.

We are taking our first cruise next year, a 4 day out of Miami, leaving at 5pm on a Monday and returning 7am on Friday. This is to "test the waters" so to speak to see if we like the cruising experience.

We are contemplating whether or not to get passports. We may not enjoy this experience and not want to take anymore cruises. If we do like cruising, we can get the passports after this short cruise. The expense of 2 passports is a lot if we may not need them again. We have to hope no type of emergency comes up in the 86 hours we are not in the USA. I don't see international air travel in our future.

My question is that my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my drivers license has my married name on it. I have read several posts back something similar (pertained to a newlywed)and I guess I should check w/ the cruise line and assume I am bringing my marriage license with me?

If you were in my shoes with only 86 hours out of the country, would you invest $270 not knowing if you would ever use the passports again, or just do the Driver License and Birth Certificate.

Just out of curiosity about how many cruisers do only bring their DL & BC?

TIA

although I am passport pusher for a four day out of Miami as your only cruise I would skip it...

IMO

...We are contemplating whether or not to get passports. We may not enjoy this experience and not want to take anymore cruises. If we do like cruising, we can get the passports after this short cruise. The expense of 2 passports is a lot if we may not need them again. We have to hope no type of emergency comes up in the 86 hours we are not in the USA. I don't see international air travel in our future.

You already know that if you have an emergency you will be delayed in returning to the US. You know that if you miss the ship, you cannot fly to the first port. As long as you understand and accept those risks, then the decision is yours to make.

...My question is that my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my drivers license has my married name on it. I have read several posts back something similar (pertained to a newlywed)and I guess I should check w/ the cruise line and assume I am bringing my marriage license with me? If you were in my shoes with only 86 hours out of the country, would you invest $270 not knowing if you would ever use the passports again, or just do the Driver License and Birth Certificate.
Royal Caribbean has become a stickler on asking for this bridge documentation. Carnival and Princess rarely do. Their assumption is that you had to prove your name change in order to get the DL in your married name anyway. That said, to eliminate any worries, yes you should take a copy of your marriage license, which should be among your important papers and documents anyway

...Just out of curiosity about how many cruisers do only bring their DL & BC?
Typically about 5-10% of cruisers. More so on the short cruises like yours.

This is to "test the waters" so to speak to see if we like the cruising experience.

I don't see international air travel in our future.

I believe it was the short cruise market that drove the need to keep the BC/DL option available, for the very reason you give, in some cases the cost of a passport approaches half the cost of a short cruise to The Bahamas.

Having said that... your post says you are from PA... even if you hate the cruise, but love the beach or whatever you choose to do in your ports of call, a flight to Miami is essentially the same as a flight to The Bahamas... maybe you will be international travelers one day after all!

Theron

• 5 months later...

Ok everyone, do you need(required) a passport for cruise starting in State of Florida, stop in Nassau, cruise line's private island, and back to Florida?

We do plan getting off the ship, and site see Nassau , and private island. Everyone is 19 and older.

I know this question ask 100's of times but like a answer.

Ok everyone, do you need(required) a passport for cruise starting in State of Florida, stop in Nassau, cruise line's private island, and back to Florida?

We do plan getting off the ship, and site see Nassau , and private island. Everyone is 19 and older.

I know this question ask 100's of times but like a answer.

Nothing has changed. The answer is still the same.

By the way, your plans to either get off or remain on the ship have absolutely nothing to do with the type of documentation you are required to have for a cruise. Everyone assumes you will get off the ship at every port. There is no provision to make any exceptions.

Theron

Edited by TPKeller

• 1 month later...
Unless you live along the southern or northern borders, you can forget about the passport type card. This is still under debate by Congress and it will only apply to those who live on the border and have to go across rather frequently.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

Per the link to the State Dept. a passport card is good to travel in the Carribean.

Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean Region

Sea

Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc

U.S. Passport Book or Card

nations considered to be "Caribbean"

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_3256.html

Q:Why a Passport Card?

a:The Department of State has developed a Passport Card as a more portable and less expensive alternative to the traditional passport book. The passport card is a basic component of the PASS (People Access Security Service) system announced by Secretaries Rice and Chertoff in January 2006, and will meet the specific requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to secure and expedite travel. WHTI is the Administration's plan to implement a provision of the Intelligence Reform Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, which requires citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda to have a passport or other designated document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. According to the Department of Homeland Security, other documents such as registered traveler cards (NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards) will be acceptable under WHTI.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

Per the link to the State Dept. a passport card is good to travel in the Carribean.

Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean Region

Sea

Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc

U.S. Passport Book or Card

nations considered to be "Caribbean"

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_3256.html

Q:Why a Passport Card?

a:The Department of State has developed a Passport Card as a more portable and less expensive alternative to the traditional passport book. The passport card is a basic component of the PASS (People Access Security Service) system announced by Secretaries Rice and Chertoff in January 2006, and will meet the specific requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to secure and expedite travel. WHTI is the Administration's plan to implement a provision of the Intelligence Reform Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, which requires citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda to have a passport or other designated document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. According to the Department of Homeland Security, other documents such as registered traveler cards (NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards) will be acceptable under WHTI.

Please pay attention to the date of the post you're disputing. It was made in January, 2007, more than 5 years ago, and long before the rule you're citing was put into effect. The first passport cards were issued in mid 2008.

Edited by njhorseman