Pillow Chocolates

magandab

Just for fun - do you like the pillow chocolates on your chosen cruiseline? I have sailed Holland America exclusively (just worked out that way) but certainly NOT for the chocolate. The chocolates left each evening are waxy, inspid milk chocolate and should be an embarassment to a Dutch line!

Anyone else care to weigh in, or share where my dream of extra dark good chocolates are left by the chocolate elves?

I've already brushed my teeth before going to bed.....not going to eat chocolate then! I throw them in my suitcase....sometimes I eat them later, but I usually end up throwing them away at some future date!

Not all cruiselines do the turn-down chocolates anymore...you can always bring your own, if you feel the need...and some folks do!

We like receiving the pillow chocoates on HAL ships and think it a lovely touch. I don't often eat them. Most times, we bring them home and put them in the wrapped candy dish and DH usually has one here or there and thinks of our criuses. :)

We like receiving the pillow chocoates on HAL ships and think it a lovely touch. I don't often eat them. Most times, we bring them home and put them in the wrapped candy dish and DH usually has one here or there and thinks of our criuses. :)

Sail, the funny thing is that if they were not left I'd be quite miffed. Even though I think they are inedible! I especially love when the cabin stewards use them to embellish the towel animals. 60 days and counting....

• 4 weeks later...
Just for fun - do you like the pillow chocolates on your chosen cruiseline? I have sailed Holland America exclusively (just worked out that way) but certainly NOT for the chocolate. The chocolates left each evening are waxy, inspid milk chocolate and should be an embarassment to a Dutch line!

Anyone else care to weigh in, or share where my dream of extra dark good chocolates are left by the chocolate elves?

I'll eat one or two, but sometimes they do taste a little waxy so I give them away when I get home

The Carnival chocolates are pretty bad by themselves. They taste like the cheap Dollar store candy, but if you unwrap one piece and put it in a hot cup of coffee and then top it with some soft-serve vanilla ice-cream, it's not so bad. :D For and extra special treat, add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream or Kahula. It makes a decent night-cap for the balcony.

• 2 weeks later...
The Carnival chocolates are pretty bad by themselves. They taste like the cheap Dollar store candy, but if you unwrap one piece and put it in a hot cup of coffee and then top it with some soft-serve vanilla ice-cream, it's not so bad. :D For and extra special treat, add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream or Kahula. It makes a decent night-cap for the balcony.

LOL, on a 7 day cruise, I will just stack those square little packets of chocolate up on the vanity and maybe eat one. Then I take them home to pawn them off on friends and family:D But now that you have educated me how to make the most of them, they may not make it into my suitcase! Thanks for the tip!:)

• 5 months later...

I think I'm going to try this on the Magic! 43 days! Woot!

• 2 weeks later...

The signature chocolates left at bed turndown are good. I think they are Girardelli Squares in the different flavors. Especially if I've had wine with dinner, I'll eat one when I get back to my room at night. My husband always says, "How can you eat that now after all we just ate during our meal?" Is he kidding? There is always a little bit of room left for a piece of good chocolate! And I wonder how I gained 6 lbs in 10 days?....LOL!

Celebrity have some lovely ones. Not tiny little things like some lines, decent size (still not big enough for me, could eat more!). Different flavours each night and different wrappers. Milk, coffee, orange flower, lime. If they'd sold them in the onboard shop to bring home I'd have gotten some.

• 4 weeks later...

The chocolates on Celebrity are very adult - ginger passion fruit, flavors like that - they are quite lovely, of high quality. We generally save them all and bring them home, enjoying them as a treat over the months to come. For us, to eat a chocolate at night, after we have eaten our meal which always includes dessert, not to mention cocktails and/or wine - urgh, to ingest that piece of chocolate at that time would not be a pleasure at all, so we take them home and then we truly enjoy each morsel, over time, not only the taste but the memories they bring back of our cruise, each cruise better than the last!

Note: My avatar - after our B2B Australian and New Zealand cruises, my daughter and I had countless chocolates (often our room steward gave my daughter's stuffed animals chocolates - SO CUTE - the steward would pose the stuffed kiwi, stuffed lamb and stuffed kangaroo that my daughter collected on shore excursions, in the room with chocolates of their own - such a treat to return to our cabin and find such frivolity, not to mention extra chocolates!). We brought literally every single one of them home, and we made the Celebrity logo "X" out of the chocolates, and then we have eaten them slowly as the months have passed, enjoying them so much more than we would have on the nights that we received them.

The chocolates on Celebrity are very adult - ginger passion fruit, flavors like that - they are quite lovely, of high quality. We generally save them all and bring them home, enjoying them as a treat over the months to come. For us, to eat a chocolate at night, after we have eaten our meal which always includes dessert, not to mention cocktails and/or wine - urgh, to ingest that piece of chocolate at that time would not be a pleasure at all, so we take them home and then we truly enjoy each morsel, over time, not only the taste but the memories they bring back of our cruise, each cruise better than the last!

Note: My avatar - after our B2B Australian and New Zealand cruises, my daughter and I had countless chocolates (often our room steward gave my daughter's stuffed animals chocolates - SO CUTE - the steward would pose the stuffed kiwi, stuffed lamb and stuffed kangaroo that my daughter collected on shore excursions, in the room with chocolates of their own - such a treat to return to our cabin and find such frivolity, not to mention extra chocolates!). We brought literally every single one of them home, and we made the Celebrity logo "X" out of the chocolates, and then we have eaten them slowly as the months have passed, enjoying them so much more than we would have on the nights that we received them.

Those chocolates on "X" sound wonderful.

DH eats both of HAL's chocolates at bed time when he has to take 4 different medications -- to coat his stomach.

I looked at your avatar -- cute.

Those chocolates on "X" sound wonderful.

DH eats both of HAL's chocolates at bed time when he has to take 4 different medications -- to coat his stomach.

I looked at your avatar -- cute.

Thanks, about my avatar! My daughter and I were having such a good time constructing it, trying to decide if we should mix up the flavors (thus the colored wrappers), or keep like colors together; whether it should or even could, be longer and thinner - ah, such important issues! :p and then, when we couldn't get it quite even, the angles being very 'off' and wobbly, my husband intervened with his engineering abilities, and set it to rights, and voila, there we have it! I sent the photo to Celebrity on their "send us your photos and we may post them" Facebook link, as I thought it was pretty clever, but alas, they apparently weren't quite so enamored! ;):rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I enjoy the chocolates given at turn-down on Celebrity very much. Each night a different flavor. We rarely actually ate them on our cruise, but they certainly came back home with us. We were cruising on Celebrity one time with friends who were on a different deck than us. The next morning at breakfast, they asked if we got our chocolates. We said that we had; they were a little miffed because their chocolates that previous night were Hershey Kisses! LOL. And they're Elite status; we are not. We had a good chuckle.

• 1 month later...