Over the door shoe organizer

I keep reading about these over the door bags/pockets/shoe, whatever you want to call them. Some say yes have to have one, others say don't bother. Still up in the air if I should bring one.

1. What are you using them for? I looked at bathroom pics and it looks like there is enough counter space. (its just me, husband and 3yrs old). On our carnival cruise inside cabin we found the bathroom counter space to be ok.

2. How do you hang it? I read somewhere that you can no longer use the over the door hooks or tape, etc?

3. Can you put magnets on the bathroom door?

I will say I did buy a pop up laundry bin for dirty clothes that is supposed to fit under the desks in the room (read on another post)

We do not use our organizer in the bathroom as we have found there is usually plenty of room for toiletries.

We usually hang it over a closet door and use it for "clutter" items such as: jewelry, hats, camera, ipod, sticky note pads, pens & highlighter, sunscreen, lanyards, dinner reservation cards, hand gel, etc.

Depending on the ship - sometimes the extra space is useful, sometimes not so much.

Agreed with above post. There really is enough storage - but the organizer makes it quick to find smaller items. There are hooks on the wall outside of the bathroom on the newer ships. We hung ours there. We kept sunscreens, lotions, pens, hand sanitzier, tissues, chap stick, shout wipes ... anything small enough to fit really

If you have one of the split bathrooms (which most cabins have) you have plenty of space for toiletries. The cabin itself, has lots of usuable storage space. Many cruise lines do not have any shelves and/or cabinets over the desk/dresser. DCL makes good 8416881463_6c8d1ee01a_c.jpguse of this space.

Don't waste your time / money / luggage space.

As of April 2013, DCL is going to be delivering letters to onboard guests including the following:

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim.

Guests found with damaged doors are assessed a $100 damage fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

That being said if you want to use it for the quick grab space just know you are going to have to use with existing hardware (as per prior poster) and not the doors.

Edited by ededmd

jewelryorganizer.jpg.html?filters[term]=jewelry organizer&filters[primary]=images&sort=1&o=105I have also found there is plenty of room without the shoe organizer. However, I have one of these that I keep packed for my travels. The other side has smaller individual pockets and I keep earrings, necklaces, bandaids, anything small.

I just hang this on the hook by the bathroom door or the hook on the wall in the bathroom.

It's nice to unfold it from your luggage and everything is there and organized.

EDIT: I've tried 4 different ways to show you an example - can't get it to show, even using photobucket. But if you search for jewelry hanging organizer, you will find one that looks like they are on a coat hanger & are smaller than a shoe organizer.

Edited by FoghornLeghorn

Don't waste your time / money / luggage space.

As of April 2013, DCL is going to be delivering letters to onboard guests including the following:

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim.

Guests found with damaged doors are assessed a $100 damage fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

That being said if you want to use it for the quick grab space just know you are going to have to use with existing hardware (as per prior poster) and not the doors.

Yep they are no longer allowed and I have been hearing reports of people getting charged.

• 4 years later...

Long ago, when they were permitted, I hung one on the bathroom door and found plenty of uses for it--it held stuff like sunscreen, the camera, etc...things that we all might use. Since they are no longer permitted, I don't bring one and really don't miss it. I do get more questions like, "Where's the sunscreen?"

Bottom line--DCL says no, so I don't bring one.