Single occupancy vs "singles" cruise?

JerseyJack

Royal Caribbean has a some Radiance class ships (Brilliance, Jewel, Serenade) that do transatlantic cruises twice a year. These ships have a few of what the cruise line calls "studio" statrooms that are for one person only.

There is no way to avoid a single occupancy supplement. Typically the supplement is 75%. Occasionally there will be a sailing with a reduced supplement but only if it is selling very poorly. ("Singles" cruises are, well, lifestyle cruises where supposedly unattached adults can meet up with similarly unattached adults. I'll let your imagination fill in the rest.)

Years ago cruise lines would match up same gender passengers with a cabin mate but today they will not.

I would not recommend that you have a cabin mate unless you have previously traveled with that person. There are too many stories where some sought a traveling companion from the workplace, church, or an affinity group only to get the cabin mate from hell. (Neither of you can check out the next day if it goes badly on day one.)

If you want to sail, I would recommend that you sign up for email notifications of promotions and late deals. You'll only pay for one person for gratuities, taxes and post fees.

Hi! It seems like there are no options for single occupancy on most cruises. I want to sail from Europe to the U.S., but don't want to pay double. Are there options or vocabulary I'm unaware of? Thank you!

Look at the web site "Cruise Plum"; they have a solo section that may help with cruises that are less than 100% single supplement.

It is not a travel agent website just an information gathering/giving site that lists what the deals are.

Hope this helps. :)

I should have mentioned that if you want to sail between the US and the UK, Queen Mary 2 is the only ship that makes scheduled crossings between May and January. Other lines have only repositioning crossings: westbound in the fall and eastbound in the spring. Single staterooms were fitted into the ship last year and are large and popular. But due to supply and demand they are often more expensive for a solo than paying the supplement for a "regular" staterooom.

The Queen Mary 2 has a few (15) single cabins. As noted in another post, this ship makes regular Transatlantic runs so you would have more options regarding time of year you can sail than other lines. I have taken done Transatlantic crossings twice on the QM2 and think it is a great ship for such trips. There are always a lot of onboard activities going on. (I sailed in a regular cabin so cannot comment on the single cabins or their availability.)

Hi! It seems like there are no options for single occupancy on most cruises. I want to sail from Europe to the U.S., but don't want to pay double. Are there options or vocabulary I'm unaware of? Thank you!

Check NCL for a crossing on Getaway. They have studio cabins that are less than double.