Car Dealer Charters the Majesty of the Seas

I heard him announce this last night: Kia's Fucillo "Huge" will give a free cruise to anyone who buys a car from him during the month of May 2013.

I couldn't believe it so I looked to see if there were threads on this or a roll call for the Majesty's sailing on 12/9/13. Nothing! It's hard to believe he'd do this. He claims he chartered it for 2,200 passengers. Do you believe this?:confused:

Yes! His dealership is in our town. I received a mailer talking about this and there are now commercials on our local TV recorded on the Majesty. In regards to selling cars, he is the #1 Kia dealer in the whole US. March 2013 he sold 1,301 cars, while the second biggest dealer in the US only sold 1,276 for the first 3 months total. Reading the fine print, buyers are responsible for taxes and fees which are estimated to be $145/pp. The free cruise is worth about $300/stateroom based on interior. Add in cost to get there, parking amd tips the free cruise will cost you about $500 per couple.

Gregg

Ok, let's say that is only doubles. So he needs to sell less than 200 cars a month, or 42 cars a week. Or, 6 cars a day.

Possible.....

He needs to sell 1,100 in the month. The promo is only for May, not until the cruise in Dec.

Gregg

Yes! His dealership is in our town. I received a mailer talking about this and there are now commercials on our local TV recorded on the Majesty. In regards to selling cars, he is the #1 Kia dealer in the whole US. March 2013 he sold 1,301 cars, while the second biggest dealer in the US only sold 1,276 for the first 3 months total. Reading the fine print, buyers are responsible for taxes and fees which are estimated to be $145/pp. The free cruise is worth about $300/stateroom based on interior. Add in cost to get there, parking amd tips the free cruise will cost you about $500 per couple.

And in true car dealership form a $10 p/p document prep fee. :eek:All of which is non refundable.:rolleyes:

Plus don't forget that it's a "prize" therefore you will pay income taxes on the "rack rate" as (imputed) income. Given the hefty discounts off " rack rates " for short cruises, you can actually pay more for a " free cruise" than just buying it outright at a discount.:eek:

Plus don't forget that it's a "prize" therefore you will pay income taxes on the "rack rate" as (imputed) income. Given the hefty discounts off " rack rates " for short cruises, you can actually pay more for a " free cruise" than just buying it outright at a discount.:eek:

It should fall more under the rebate guidelines and not be taxed as a prize.

There are 3 cruises for two being given away as prizes.

He owns over 20 dealerships but seems to only be marketing one make of car for the cruise. It's shown on the Royal Caribbean site which make. I am curious if he is using the same marketing gimmick in NY where most of his dealerships are located.

Another thought. Anyone who gets a cruise will have to be able to go the specific dates Kia has reserved Majesty. Also, does the offer include airfare?

Buyers resposible for their own transportation. Since the dealership is only about a 3-4 hour drive from Miami, and most buyers will be from this general area, I would guess most would drive. As I said in an earlier post, it is not that great of a deal. I would rather just have the value deducted from the car if I was interested.

Gregg

I wonder how he will decide who gets inside rooms, ocean view rooms and the few balcony rooms.

I thought about just going in pretending to be interested in taking the deal to find out about options. If I had to guess it would be handled possibly in 1 of 2 ways. #1- First come, best cabin, or #2 - Must pay to upgrade to better cabins. I just might kill some time over the weekend and find out.

Gregg

Buyers resposible for their own transportation. Since the dealership is only about a 3-4 hour drive from Miami, and most buyers will be from this general area, I would guess most would drive. As I said in an earlier post, it is not that great of a deal. I would rather just have the value deducted from the car if I was interested.

Gregg

...in their new Kias!

;) :D

Ouch!

Your tax system is really punitive.

It's just like the dealers around here offering "free gas for a year". If you read the fine print, it's actually a $750 gas card.

I would just insist they take the "estimated value" off the price of the car. See how fast they balk at that.

yes, he did charter it. I live in the city where his dealership is. He's advertising it like crazy, he is actually the largest kia dealership in the country. His commercials are crazy and annoying, but.... he sells a TON of cars. It's gonna be HUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEEE!

Edited by mjm325

I thought about just going in pretending to be interested in taking the deal to find out about options. If I had to guess it would be handled possibly in 1 of 2 ways. #1- First come, best cabin, or #2 - Must pay to upgrade to better cabins. I just might kill some time over the weekend and find out.

Gregg

Keep us posted if you go talk to them at the dealership. I wonder how he'll decide on upgrapes too, Gregg.

What kind of Kia do you have to buy to get in on the deal? Not that I'm in the market to buy a car, but curious how much you have to spend to get the free cruise.

http://www.fuccillokiacapecoral.com/

He was not specific on the type of purchase. He says anyone who purchases a KIA in May.

I won't be buying a KIA either but I'd love to sail on that ship with him...bet it'll be loads of fun. Too bad I can't buy a ticket. That sailing is not available for sale anywhere that I could find. How did he pull this off, I wonder? Did he book the ship before the 2013 schedule came out?

Gregg

We were living in Cape Coral when he brought his HUGE KIA dealership to town, he was staying at the Marina Village Resort, which is now a Westin as you know. We bought a house on 10th on a canal that was a mile or so away from there by boat.

He's a great guy and I'm sure it's for real. He was selling 100's of cars in a very short time. $500 is still a good deal.

Unfortunately, DH didn't like CC so we sold and moved back to TX. I miss it terribly.

We were living in Cape Coral when he brought his HUGE KIA dealership to town, he was staying at the Marina Village Resort, which is now a Westin as you know. We bought a house on 10th on a canal that was a mile or so away from there by boat.

He's a great guy and I'm sure it's for real. He was selling 100's of cars in a very short time. $500 is still a good deal.

Unfortunately, DH didn't like CC so we sold and moved back to TX. I miss it terribly.

I do not think it is much of a deal at $500 per couple. RCI could barely get $150pp last year during December.

So having to buy a car to pay the same or more is no bargain.

In March he "gave away" $1000 to anyone buying a car. This deal is significantly less.

Plus it probably won't get the double points if rci has the december celebration this year.

I am so with you. We go on Majesty all the time and I don't need to buy a new car to get a great deal. We also live in SW FL so see his commercials all the time. I guess it you are in the market for a new car, it is a good deal, otherwise, not. I can cruise for a whole lot less than the price of a new car. Besides that, not sure I could handle a weekend listening to him go HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I live in Syracuse where the Fucillos are from- must be a local promotion for Florida, no commercials up here- His son, Billy, bought a Nissan dealership and Billy Sr has been pushing that up here

Our son and daughter both went to Syracuse - so for ten years (undergrad and grad school) we were bombarded by Biily's TV ads every time we visited. Imagine our surprise when we bought a home in Southwest Florida a few years ago and met up with Billy's ads again!