Disembarkation Montreal

We are taking our first cruise in September. New York to Montreal.

We arrive in Montreal at 7am. I understand that there will be a short tour of Montreal in the morning then we will be taken(at about 13.00) to a hotel near the airport ready for our flight home. As our flight to the UK is not until 22.10 we need to find something to do

- how far away is the hotel from the airport

- will we be able to get back to Montreal

- is there a shuttle bus - train

- will our luggage be safe at the hotel

If it is feasible to go Montreal should we take our luggage to the airport and put in left luggage then we could go straight to the airport from Montreal.

I think that many people are reading your post and not responding simply because Regent rarely (if ever) has ended a cruise in Montreal so no one has the answer. If you contact the hotel directly, they would probably be able to answer a couple of your questions. We have stayed in Montreal and would not be concerned about leaving our luggage at the hotel.

We are taking our first cruise in September. New York to Montreal.

We arrive in Montreal at 7am. I understand that there will be a short tour of Montreal in the morning then we will be taken(at about 13.00) to a hotel near the airport ready for our flight home. As our flight to the UK is not until 22.10 we need to find something to do

- how far away is the hotel from the airport

- will we be able to get back to Montreal

- is there a shuttle bus - train

- will our luggage be safe at the hotel

If it is feasible to go Montreal should we take our luggage to the airport and put in left luggage then we could go straight to the airport from Montreal.

You should be at the airport about 4 hours before departing so that's mean about 18h00 and you should know that traffic is horrible from 15h30 to 20h00 and there will be a lot of work in progress on the road so we never know hov much time will take to go to the airport.

We ended our cruise in Montreal last year. Where the ship docks (downtown) is not at all close to the airport. What is the name of the hotel? That will give you an idea of what you can do.

There is lots to see and do downtown, but it sounds like they are going to put you out by the airport. If you are doing Regent air, they will transport the luggage for you. One option would be to see if they can take your luggage to the hotel, and you just stay downtown and sightsee for as long as you want then take a taxi to the hotel.

I just have two pieces of advice no matter what you end up doing.

One is to give yourself one hour to get to the airport. The hotels are not too far from the airport but the traffic is just terrible. Worse than many cities.

I would arrive about 2 hours and 30 minutes before the flight.

I love Montreal as the city has a lot to offer. However, the airport has very limited facilities. I would bring something to read because I found the airport to be quite boring.

Keith

Montreal is a lovely city. There are hotels near the dock in the old town and there are hotels downtown. If you can stay for an extra day, I'd recommend it. We stayed for 3 days after our cruise and were not disappointed. The ride to the airport in no traffic was about 45 minutes. We took a cab from our hotel, but, there were shuttles available from the hotel. I try to avoid Regent transfers since you wait around for a bus and the luggage to be loaded and off loaded and 40 other passengers. It's not worth it to me to hang around for one or two hours waiting when I can take a cab.

I just have two pieces of advice no matter what you end up doing.

One is to give yourself one hour to get to the airport. The hotels are not too far from the airport but the traffic is just terrible. Worse than many cities.

I would arrive about 2 hours and 30 minutes before the flight.

I love Montreal as the city has a lot to offer. However, the airport has very limited facilities. I would bring something to read because I found the airport to be quite boring.

Keith

I guess you haven't been back to that airport for a long time? It has been completely renovated and has a new East Wing USA/Trans Boarder Area and new International Area with adjacent Marriott Hotel which is connected to the airport.

We recently cruised OUT of Montreal on HAL.

The cruise port is right downtown in the old city. You can walk everywhere to see the sights and need no transportation to see everything worthwhile. There are also many good restaurants.

I guess the Regent option of an airport hotel is to chill out for most of the day while you wait for the plane. Depending on the hotel, you might be able to get back into town. If it's anywhere near the airport, it's not close. There may be a Metro station but it's a distance. Metro stations take only Canadian money. The only exception is a main terminal near U. of Quebec which caters to tourists. A taxi ride from the airport is about $40 and can take an hour or more. Cabbies take charge cards.

As Regent is loading you on busses and driving you, and your luggage, around, I guess any other options are a bit of a hassle. Considering you will probably be off the ship by about 900 and taken to the hotel at 1300, it doesn't sound like too short a tour. Do they let you get out and walk around?

It does seem a shame to get on a tour bus right from the ship, since you're right smack in a lovely tourist area which is great for walking.

I would see if it's possible for Oceania to take your luggage on the bus, and drop it at the hotel, then you can arrange to stay in the city, be a tourist, then take a cab to the hotel later in the afternoon.

Wendy, you have been Oceania-ized! They are on Regent. But I agree--see if they will take your luggage to the hotel on the bus. Stay and tour, then take a cab to the hotel later in the afternoon.

Wendy, you have been Oceania-ized! They are on Regent. But I agree--see if they will take your luggage to the hotel on the bus. Stay and tour, then take a cab to the hotel later in the afternoon.

Oops, apologies. I pop back and forth between the two forums and I got lost!

Kathy, where did they take you on your bus trip, and did you get time to stop and walk around?

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to get off the ship and through Customs in Montreal on disembarkation? We are taking the same cruise in October, and have booked a private tour since our flight doesn't leave until 4:30. I am trying to determine a good time to tell the tour guide to pick us up at the cruise terminal.

You go through customs when you exit canada at the airport. You just get right off the ship. You have been in Canada for several days, so the ship has cleared your entry. You just have to exit at the airport.

Okay, thanks. Sounds like getting off the ship is pretty easy, and no Customs required (but you have to go through it at the airport for the US side of things). I'm thinking with a 4:30pm flight, and a 4 hour tour, we should be fine if we ask for a tour start time of 9:00 or 9:30. Appreciate all the info!

Hello, I live in Montréal. If the hotel is near the AirPort, they will have a shuttle from the hotel to the airport. Then from the airport back to downtown, you have a public bus that leaves directly from arrivals, #747 ( see why they chose to give that number to the route ;) which costs 9$ and gives you access for 24hours to all public transit. The transit time to downtown will be 45-60 minutes. They know some detours if there is a lot of traffic. Otherwise, taxis to downtown are fixed price: 40$ one way.

Louis

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have spoken to the Regent Call Desk and they really do not know what is happening after disembarkation. They do not even know yet what hotel they are using. It is all down to flight times and numbers of people needing transport.

Perhaps we may be able to sort something out when we get on board . If not we will just go to the airport hotel and see if they can keep our luggage then play it from there.

What is the weather like end September?

Will I need rain wear or fleece?

As we do not need Air-con in the UK will it be chilly in the dining rooms?

Regards Zella & Michael

Archived