Cunard Models

modelman

I love collection ocean liner / cruise ship models, and have collected quite a few Cunarders, that I thought you all might enjoy seeing.

First from my collection of 1:1250 scale models which includes 20 or so Cunarders from little Carpathia to the Queen Victoria:

4008574684_e64923e2a2_b.jpg

4007806795_4e70b9c5d2_b.jpg

4008496055_f0e99f0fc7_b.jpg

Three models of just the QE2, depicting 1988, 1983, and 1969

4493485902_26231884d0_b.jpg

And then my three wooden Richard Wagner models of the Original Queen Elizabeth, the Mauretania II and the Caronia, all from the late 50's, early 60's, and most likely originally bought on board.

4497122038_a858628916_b.jpg

How wonderful! How long have you been collecting models and which ships have you travelled on? Thank you so much for sharing the photographs with us.

I'm so envious but still proud of our little collection of ships we have sailed on: Queen Mary, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Independence of the seas.:)

I have been collecting since I was a kid, so probably 30 years. I started with a few triang minic models of the QE, QM, United States and Canberra. They were of the 1:1200 scale, and were sold at FAO Schwartz in the 70's. You can still find these on ebay. I discovered the german manufacturers Mercator, CM and Albatros, who made models in a very similar 1:1250, and have kept buying from there, either in person in Europe or NYC, or more lately via the internet and ebay. I have about 300 of the small metal models. As to Cunarders, I have Sea Goddess I, Saxonia, Carpathia, Caronia (1948), Mauretania (1907), Mauretania (1938) in green and black hulls, Ivernia, Carmania, Cunard Adventurer, Cunard Princess, Sagafjord, Caronia (1999) Aquitania, Lusitania, Lancastria, Berengeria, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth 2 (1969, 1983, 1988) Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. Looking forward to a model of the new Queen Elizabeth in the future.

As a ship modeller, those are as fine models as I have seen, given the scale. You are most fortunate to have them. What an prize. If you are ever in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, the original home of the Cunard Line, stop into the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic on Lower Water Street,and view their collection of Cunard models. Especially the Franconia, which Commodore Warwick thought outstanding after its restoration. Hopefully, you would arrive on a Cunard flagged ship.

What a fantastic collection of superb models. You should be rightly proud. I and many others I'm sure recognise many famous ships of course. I hope your collection grows and gives you many years of pleasure in the future. Thank you for posting such interesting photographs. Well done. sfb.

How wonderful! How long have you been collecting models and which ships have you travelled on? Thank you so much for sharing the photographs with us.

I'm so envious but still proud of our little collection of ships we have sailed on: Queen Mary, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Independence of the seas.:)

Like you we also sailed on Queen Mary with several sailings across the Atlantic in the 60s and the "last" cruise, before the one to Long Beach, under the Cunard flag to Las Palmas in October '67. Maybe we met on board?

However unlike you we have not yet been on the current Cunard ships.

We are looking forward to trying the current Queen Mary soon.

We have many memories of our time on QE2, you do not mention her, did you not wish to try her after sailing on QM? You should have done so as she was different but unique. We have many memories even all these years later of the time spent on QM. On the last cruise we were able to see all the other parts of the ship, Cabin and Tourist, that we had not seen before. Esp the "Flamenco Room" which was the Cabin Lounge we understood. She seemed so much bigger after that last voyage. Happy days.

Did you make these yourself? If not, were they all made by the same person?

Marvelous collection. Do you display them publicly?

I did not make any of them. Most all of them are diecast metal or resin models, and have been made and painted by different producers in the UK, Germany and the US. I display them at home in a tall wood and glass case.

4013467933_56a07ab971_b.jpg

There are numerous websites where you can purchase similar models, though some have been discontinued, and therefore can only be found on ebay or similar sites.

http://www.collectableships.com/

http://scherbakshipmodels.tripod.com/id106.html

http://www.1250ships.com/test/index.php?cPath=1_9_17

http://www.classic-ship.de/

I, too, am as green as the Caronia with envy!

I have a modest, small collection of finely detailed metal Mercator Models... Raffaello, Leonardo da Vinci, Saturnia, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, QE2, Caronia (Vistafjord), United States.

I also have a large Maritime Replicas full hull QE2 and smaller Scherbak full hull models of QE2 and Queen Mary 2. I came upon a 2 foot long waterline model of Raffaello enclosed in a case that was used in travel agencies in the late 60's and 70's. It was in perfect condition and I found it by happenchance at an estate sale. It cost me only $150 for the unknowing seller. I saw one just like it go at auction for $1140 later on Christie's website. (photo attached).

Your collection is amazing. I could see some of the great Italian liners in the far corner of one of the photos. Can you post pictures of the Italian ships you have? Do you have Saturnia or Vulcania?

Now I am beyond green, I am drooling!

Enjoy them and thanks for sharing.

Raffaello.jpg.059c51cc25fca82f0c96d8380248e556.jpg

I have been collecting since I was a kid, so probably 30 years. I started with a few triang minic models of the QE, QM, United States and Canberra. They were of the 1:1200 scale, and were sold at FAO Schwartz in the 70's. You can still find these on ebay. I discovered the german manufacturers Mercator, CM and Albatros, who made models in a very similar 1:1250, and have kept buying from there, either in person in Europe or NYC, or more lately via the internet and ebay. I have about 300 of the small metal models. As to Cunarders, I have Sea Goddess I, Saxonia, Carpathia, Caronia (1948), Mauretania (1907), Mauretania (1938) in green and black hulls, Ivernia, Carmania, Cunard Adventurer, Cunard Princess, Sagafjord, Caronia (1999) Aquitania, Lusitania, Lancastria, Berengeria, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth 2 (1969, 1983, 1988) Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. Looking forward to a model of the new Queen Elizabeth in the future.

I notice that you show a couple of models of Holland America's vista ships. I have been searching for one of the Westerdam for the past year - can you tell me who makes/made the ones you have? (... and my apologies to all for mentioning a competing line on a Cunard forum!)

I notice that you show a couple of models of Holland America's vista ships. I have been searching for one of the Westerdam for the past year - can you tell me who makes/made the ones you have? (... and my apologies to all for mentioning a competing line on a Cunard forum!)

In the 1:1250 scale, you can find models of the Vista class by CM

The CM model is available at www.wiedling.de and is CM-KR-145

CM-KR-145.jpg

She is 80.00 Euros.

What a aterrific collection, thanks for posting. Do you have any White Star Line models in there?

Cheers, Rich

I do have Britannic (1914), Titanic, Homeric Majestic, Oceanic, Georgic, and Britannic (1931). You can see some of them in the bottom here.

4009264540_6b9f5165cd_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived