renting a taxi in Cozumel

wishingtocruise

Hey!

My husband,daughter and myself are planning to be in Cozumel in Febuary. I thought that we would rent a car for a day and go to the different beaches, especially Playa Plancar(spelling). I thought that this would save us money and be a great way to see the island,however, I've been reading that the Police will sometimes stop people and try to extract money from them. This scares me especially since our daughter has Down Syndrome and her safety is paramount to us.(any childs safety is the first concern.)

So here's my question, would it be worth it to just rent a cab to sort of drive us around all day? This is our first cruise and our first time out of the country and we really want to get as true a flavor of the island as we can.

Thanks for letting me ramble.:)

It's safe to rent a car here- we don't have the corruption that other areas of Mexico has- and there is even less now with the change of the local govenor/mayor. About 20 or more police were fired for less than desirable behavior so it's even better now than before (and it really wan't THAT bad before).

I would be sure and rent a car from AVIS or a company like it that has a newer fleet of cars. Many of the "deals" that car companys offer are on older model cars most of which don't have working seat belts.

You may consider taking a taxi if you don't feel comfortable renting a car, however I would probably not consider "renting a taxi" for the day- you will be paying probably $15-20 an hour for him to just be hanging out while you spend time on the beach. There are tons-o-taxis here and most are parked at the beach areas waiting for people anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived