For US Cruisers To Canada

sapper1

As of February 4th, the Canadian Mint will stop producing the penny. This will affect the way you are given change when you visit Canada. Pricing will not change but change will be rounded up or down to the nearest nickel.

Credit card or debit card purchases will not be affected.

I mention this as I think it is important that our cruise visitors know that the merchants are not trying to cheat them. The penny is simply going to disappear.

Thank you for the info. I guess the grand-nephew is going to get higher coinage when I get back from visiting Canada (I give him any coins I have from non-USA countries--he's still young enough to think that's cool).

Please, please, please US government, follow Canada's lead. I hate pennies. My car's "secret compartment" is full of them, my desk drawer is full of them.... I hate pennies.

It's not like you can tell the cashier to "keep the change" when it's a penny! She might shoot you!

Please, please, please US government, follow Canada's lead. I hate pennies. My car's "secret compartment" is full of them, my desk drawer is full of them.... I hate pennies.

It's not like you can tell the cashier to "keep the change" when it's a penny! She might shoot you!

So funny. :D

I was in Las Vegas a few years ago when a man at the table said "I made a million dollars yesterday". We all looked at him to see if he was bluffing or deranged. Then he told us he work in the Gov't printing office, and made that much every day! Didn't get to keep samples, though.:(

I believe the metric system is the/a legal system in the US, they just don't teach it in the schools unless you are in a science or engineering class. Of course the cars made in other countries (even thhough many are assembled in the US) use the metric system. Just makes it tough on us!:rolleyes:

Like it followed the civilized world into the metric system? Riiiiiight.... :confused::)

Well, I'm not going to touch that one with a 3.048-meter pole :D, but I will say that the U.S. Armed Forces exchanges and commisaries overseas, in my experience at least, have done the round up/down to the closest nickel for years. It was _very_ easy to get used to, and also easy to get used to not having pennies in my pocket.

(At the risk of seeming even more ancient than I really am, I also faintly remember U.S. half-cents in my mostly mis-spent youth. It seems to me that, what with the inflation rate over the decades, the nickel is about what a half-cent used to be worth.)

Dave

*snip*

I will say that the U.S. Armed Forces exchanges and commisaries overseas, in my experience at least, have done the round up/down to the closest nickel for years. It was _very_ easy to get used to, and also easy to get used to not having pennies in my pocket.

*snip*)

Dave

Oh, yes, they've been doing that for at least 35 years... (look who is dating herself now...)

Archived