teenage girl disappointed in no formal nights

lakelodge

We are taking our two granddaughters on the Carnival Dream for a Christmas cruise. The older one-- age 16- had been on a cruise when she was 12, and was so in awe of the tuxedo'd men and women wearing formal gowns. NOW we announced our plans and she was SO excited to get to wear her first formal, only to read that Carnival has discontinued "formal night" for a less dressy night, where men are expected to wear long pants and collared shirts, with jacket and tie as an option.

Just how "dressy" do the women get on this night? Do you think a short "cocktail" dress would be appropriate for a 16 year old young lady? Or should I buy her a long prom-type dress?

They never discontinued it. They just changed the name to Elegant.

Formal insinuated black tie, and no Carniv cruise I sailed ever had black tie.

She should wear what she wants. More heads turn to the individuals who wear their clothes well. I know I look.

Edited by TPFKAH

Cocktail dress would be fine.

Personally I also think your family should be as formal as you'd like. So long as the young woman is okay with you all standing out a bit I think it'd be a lot of fun.

I always wear a gown on formal nights.....and my husband wears a jacket and nice slacks with a tie.

I own two beautiful gowns...they still fit perfectly and the ONLY place I've ever worn them have been on cruises...(since they're black I don't feel appropriate wearing them to weddings.....)

Both my teenage boys wear jackets, slacks and ties (although my one son will take off his jacket and tie as soon as dinner is over....my other son will leave his on all evening).

We have NEVER felt out of place or over dressed......sure people dress less fancy or formal.....but you know what... I just feel even better about the way I look.

If your teenage girls want to dress up formally encourage them to do so......if they just want a nice dress then that's fine too - If I see them dressed up formally - I always take the time to tell formally dressed people how nice they look! :)

They never discontinued it. They just changed the name to Elegant.

Formal insinuated black tie, and no Carniv cruise I sailed ever had black tie.

She should wear what she wants. More heads turn to the individuals who wear their clothes well. I know I look.

25 years ago, formal night on a cruise meant a gentleman wore a suit/jacket/tie, now it means I can do what I want because it says suggested. At one time, people did respect the intent of the evening, even on a Carnival ship.

As for the young ladies, please go ahead in wear your best. There is nothing like good looking young kids to show up the sloppy adults!!!!!

25 years ago, formal night on a cruise meant a gentleman wore a suit/jacket/tie, now it means I can do what I want because it says suggested. At one time, people did respect the intent of the evening, even on a Carnival ship.

As for the young ladies, please go ahead in wear your best. There is nothing like good looking young kids to show up the sloppy adults!!!!!

Yes, but none of it is/ was formal. When I wear a business suit to work, I am not dressing formal.

And Just because it's called elegant now, doesn't mean I won't wear my business suit. The only different it made was I no longer bring two business suit on a cruise. Don't know what I was thinking in those early years.

Edited by TPFKAH

She can wear a fancy dress on any night she wants. Just don't be disappointed when others dress more casual. It is a vacation in the Caribbean, not an visit to royalty. The days of playing dressup in tux's and suits are gone.

We are taking our two granddaughters on the Carnival Dream for a Christmas cruise. The older one-- age 16- had been on a cruise when she was 12, and was so in awe of the tuxedo'd men and women wearing formal gowns. NOW we announced our plans and she was SO excited to get to wear her first formal, only to read that Carnival has discontinued "formal night" for a less dressy night, where men are expected to wear long pants and collared shirts, with jacket and tie as an option.

Just how "dressy" do the women get on this night? Do you think a short "cocktail" dress would be appropriate for a 16 year old young lady? Or should I buy her a long prom-type dress?

Whatever she wants to wear and you want to buy. My DD(17) loves wearing homecoming style dresses on cruises. She just bought her first Prom Dress (I should say I just bought her first Prom Dress) for Prom ;).

My daughter and her friend wore their prom dresses for formal night when I took them on their graduation cruise. The loved dressing up in them for a second time and definitely did not look out of place. Tell her she will be perfectly fine dressed up.

on our last cruise I saw people in suits and a few men in tuxes. most of the men were like my husband/sons with shirts/ties.

there was one family where they all dressed up a ton! stood out, they all looked so nice. the girls were in huge ball gowns. I overheard it was for a quincenera. she looked beautiful.

go, dress up and have fun!

on our last cruise I saw people in suits and a few men in tuxes. most of the men were like my husband/sons with shirts/ties.

there was one family where they all dressed up a ton! stood out, they all looked so nice. the girls were in huge ball gowns. I overheard it was for a quincenera. she looked beautiful.

go, dress up and have fun!

Great place to have one!

Either type of dress would be appropriate. And be sure and gets lots of pictures of her first formal!

I hope you have a fun, memorable cruise with your family.

Yes, but none of it is/ was formal. When I wear a business suit to work, I am not dressing formal.

And Just because it's called elegant now, doesn't mean I won't wear my business suit. The only different it made was I no longer bring two business suit on a cruise. Don't know what I was thinking in those early years.

It was formal in the olden days! I can remember several cruises where we rented a tux for DH to be delivered to the cabin on Carnival.

It was formal in the olden days! I can remember several cruises where we rented a tux for DH to be delivered to the cabin on Carnival.

I notice by your signature I started cruising before you. Tuxes were never required.

Tuxes were never required.

I don't think they said they were required.

It's always nice to see people get dressed up and years ago if you weren't dressed up at dinner you were the odd man out.....things have changed for sure.

Our last cruise people dressed to the 9's on elegant night ....it was nice to see.

Now that I've retired from the business world, I only wear the minimum on elegant nights -- long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants. No tie, absolutely no tie. However, if I were in your shoes with my granddaughters (I have two as well) aboard, I would relish the opportunity to all dress to the nine's and get all the photos I could. Enjoy this special time.

Edited by Fla Senior