Can you walk to Horseshoe Bay from the port?

Futurefairall

We are going to bermuda October 2015, and instead of spending a ton of money on transportation, I was wondering if it is possible to walk to horseshoe bay beach from the port? I was hoping this would give us time to explore the island as well. If it is possible, how long does it take to walk?

Absolutely not. It's miles and miles away (off the top of my head I'd say close to 10 miles), and wouldn't be safe to walk even if it was a shorter distance because of the lack of sidewalks and shoulders on the road.

Edited by njhorseman

Absolutely not. It's miles and miles away (off the top of my head I'd say close to 10 miles), and wouldn't be safe to walk even if it was a shorter distance because of the lack of sidewalks and shoulders on the road.

Thank you! A girl can hope right? :p looks like we'll take a taxi.

Thank you! A girl can hope right? :p looks like we'll take a taxi.

Taxi not needed and they can be 'spensive. You can purchase a 1,2, or 3 transportation pass that is good on the buses and ferries for unlimited trips anywhere on the island. Always a possibility of a fare increase but at present, they are $12, $20 and $28 pp. There's another option of a booklet of tickets that I won't go into right now. If and when, you make plans and post what you might be doing, it will give a better idea of whether passes or tickets are your best option.

There are also very convenient and frequent busses for much less than a taxi fair. The only caveat is that you do have to walk down to the beach (and back up) from the beach.

The walk down is easy and no need to walk back up, the $2 shuttle will take you.:)

It's actually a very pleasant walk - you can do a lot of it on the old Railway Trail - I've done it many times for pleasure. However, it is a long way, it takes me at least one and a half hours, it's really only appropriate for residents and land-based visitors out for a walk, not beachgoers.

Since your time in port is limited, I'd suggest getting a bus!

I'd also suggest you get a map so that you can plan ahead and make the most of your time here - the map that you can download on this page is also freely available when you get here.

http://www.gotobermuda.com/get-here/maps-and-brochures/

Edited by jollyjones

Jollyjones, with all due respect to your knowledge as a resident of Bermuda, I can't see how it would be physically possible for the average person to walk from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay in 1 1/2 hours. It's too far.

Google Maps says about 3 hours to walk the 15 km (9.5 miles).

Can you buy transportation passes at the dockyard ? Is it a machine or booth with a person ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes..the passes are for sale at several locations...Heritage Wharf, Kings Wharf, visitor's information center. It's cash only, and sold by a person manning the desk or booth...not sold by a machine.

Jollyjones, with all due respect to your knowledge as a resident of Bermuda, I can't see how it would be physically possible for the average person to walk from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay in 1 1/2 hours. It's too far.

Sorry! Getting confused - altho' I've done it often in the past, but not this year, I was forgetting that it was one and a half hours on my pushbike, two and a half (ish) on foot.

Edited by jollyjones