Groceries and Toiletries near airport ?

Athankfulheart

We will be flying into SJU for a week pre-cruise. We will be arriving around 4pm and plan to rent a car ahead of time. I was wondering about a big store either near the airport or on the way to Luquillo (where we will be staying). We will need some toiletries and grocery items. Maybe a Super Max or something like that ? Are there any locals on the forum that may be able to advise ?

There is a big Wal-Mart on the way out there. I think there may even be a Sam's or Costco. I know we stopped at the Wal-Mart in 2012 on our way back to San Juan after our day in El Yunque on Christmas Eve. We were shopping for picnic supplies... we had a picnic on the Great Lawn of El Morro on Christmas Day and Wal-Mart was actually a very nice store. This Jan I plan to stop there again as we will be staying a few days pre-cruise in Fajardo.... we do want to check out the beach and food kiosks in Luquillo.

There is a big Wal-Mart on the way out there. I think there may even be a Sam's or Costco. I know we stopped at the Wal-Mart in 2012 on our way back to San Juan after our day in El Yunque on Christmas Eve. We were shopping for picnic supplies... we had a picnic on the Great Lawn of El Morro on Christmas Day and Wal-Mart was actually a very nice store. This Jan I plan to stop there again as we will be staying a few days pre-cruise in Fajardo.... we do want to check out the beach and food kiosks in Luquillo.

Thanks so much ! It really helps to have an idea ahead of time.

We will be flying into SJU for a week pre-cruise. We will be arriving around 4pm and plan to rent a car ahead of time. I was wondering about a big store either near the airport or on the way to Luquillo (where we will be staying). We will need some toiletries and grocery items. Maybe a Super Max or something like that ? Are there any locals on the forum that may be able to advise ?

It helps a lot if you mention the hotel you'll be staying at in order to give you some reference points. There is a big Pueblo supermarket right next to the airport in Isla Verde and a Supermax across from the airport. It's easier to get to Supermax but it might be a bit more complicated to leave the area unless you pay close attention to the signs. Also the streets coming out of the Supermax area are in terrible conditions.

There is a Sam's store, Kmart, an Econo supermarket in a strip mall called Los Colobos IF you take road 3 east instead of the much faster (but twice tolled) route 66 east to el Yunque. There's a more accesible Walmart supercenter store in Canovanas just off the route 66 exit that leads to "The Outlets" mall. You'll see it to the left at the stoplight on the CORNER of the Outlet Mall.

If you want an "all in one" stop you'll need to detour west (oeste) at the end of road 26 towards Escorial Shopping center. There's Sam's, Walmart (supercenter) right next to each other as well as a Walgreen's, four banks (local) and tons of fast food chains. There's also a Costco across the street.

It helps a lot if you mention the hotel you'll be staying at in order to give you some reference points. There is a big Pueblo supermarket right next to the airport in Isla Verde and a Supermax across from the airport. It's easier to get to Supermax but it might be a bit more complicated to leave the area unless you pay close attention to the signs. Also the streets coming out of the Supermax area are in terrible conditions.

There is a Sam's store, Kmart, an Econo supermarket in a strip mall called Los Colobos IF you take road 3 east instead of the much faster (but twice tolled) route 66 east to el Yunque. There's a more accesible Walmart supercenter store in Canovanas just off the route 66 exit that leads to "The Outlets" mall. You'll see it to the left at the stoplight on the CORNER of the Outlet Mall.

If you want an "all in one" stop you'll need to detour west (oeste) at the end of road 26 towards Escorial Shopping center. There's Sam's, Walmart (supercenter) right next to each other as well as a Walgreen's, four banks (local) and tons of fast food chains. There's also a Costco across the street.

Thanks so much for all of this detailed info. We will be staying at Playa Azul Towers in Luquillo so we were planning to take 66 to 3 right to our destination. It sounds like it might be a better idea to take 3 all the way and avoid the tolls and have more stores along the way . How much of a time difference do you think that it makes by taking the 3 all the way rather than the 66 ? Also, are the tolls reasonable ?

Thanks so much for all of this detailed info. We will be staying at Playa Azul Towers in Luquillo so we were planning to take 66 to 3 right to our destination. It sounds like it might be a better idea to take 3 all the way and avoid the tolls and have more stores along the way . How much of a time difference do you think that it makes by taking the 3 all the way rather than the 66 ? Also, are the tolls reasonable ?

If I remember correctly... when we drove from San Juan in 2012 to the Bio Bay in Fajardo we took the 3 all the way there and it was slower. about an hour and 10 minutes... but it was during rush hour also. It was kind of cool seeing more things though. I know when we rented our van from Enterprise they gave us the option of paying a fee that takes care of any tolls you may have, so if you plan on driving around much that might be cheaper... it was for us.

If I remember correctly... when we drove from San Juan in 2012 to the Bio Bay in Fajardo we took the 3 all the way there and it was slower. about an hour and 10 minutes... but it was during rush hour also. It was kind of cool seeing more things though. I know when we rented our van from Enterprise they gave us the option of paying a fee that takes care of any tolls you may have, so if you plan on driving around much that might be cheaper... it was for us.

Thanks for your input. I think that we would enjoy the 3 given that there is more to see along the way. I am going to try to find a map that shows where the tolls are at so I can judge whether or not we would benefit from that toll fee from the car rental place. During that week we probably won't go back towards SJ but rather enjoy Luquillo, a couple of rainforest days and some beach time. We have a few days on the back side of the cruise that we are staying in Isla Verde and figure we can see SJ during that time.

What did you think of the bio bay ? I was looking at some kayak tours and it seems that the best time for us to do this ( moon wise) would be after the cruise. I read a bunch of reviews from different tour groups and it seemed that the bay gets so crowded that its more chaotic than enjoyable . What was your experience ?

We are staying next week 3days at the embassy suites in isla verde right near the airport how far would all these stores be from our hotel ( could we walk it or have to cab) i