Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sewage smell/problem

We are looking at trying HAL for the first time so I have been researching it. Seems like I hear the complaint of sewage problems/smells come up frequently enough to concern me. Is it a frequent problem?? We really like Celebrity and I have never seen that complaint on any post for Celebrity, or any other line for that matter. But Celebrity doesn't do the Mex. Riv. anymore and I like the smaller ships so I'm not really considering the other lines that do go there.

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have read similar posts at various times on these boards but have never personally encountered the problem on the three different HAL ships that I have been on between Oct.'07-Jan.'09. (Volendam, Maasdam & Veendam)

I have an upcoming cruise in November on the Westerndam and hopefully sewage smells will continue to be a non-issue. That could really ruin a vacation.

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by menajr8 View Post
We are looking at trying HAL for the first time so I have been researching it. Seems like I hear the complaint of sewage problems/smells come up frequently enough to concern me. Is it a frequent problem?? We really like Celebrity and I have never seen that complaint on any post for Celebrity, or any other line for that matter. But Celebrity doesn't do the Mex. Riv. anymore and I like the smaller ships so I'm not really considering the other lines that do go there.
Its a real crap shoot on weather your going to smell poo................

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Didn't smell anything

Just got off the Veendam two weeks ago. No smell. Cabin was fine. All public areas were fine.

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by menajr8 View Post
We sailed on the Celebrity Millennium in May of this year. We didn't have a "sewage smell", but did have a "sewage problem". Everytime we flushed the toilet, it leaked all over the bathroom floor. This was in a Royal Suite. Haven't had this sort of problem on HAL...

The main difference between the two lines is the smoking policy...

Good luck!

B

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have never experienced unpleasant odors of any kind on HAL ships.

Next Cruise
78 night Grand Pacific and Far East Voyage
Past Cruises
115 night Grand World on Amsterdam....January 5, 2013 http://world.kweenkaren.com

62 night Grand Mediterranean/Black Sea on Prinsendam...March, 2012 http://mediterranean.kweenkaren.com/
66 night Grand South America/Antarctica on Prinsendam...January, 2011 http://southamerica.kweenkaren.com/
14 day Alaska Adventure on Amsterdam...June, 2010 http://alaska.kweenkaren.com/
67-night Grand Pacific, Australia & New Zealand on Amsterdam Sept, 2009 http://dreamcruise.kweenkaren.com/
Amsterdam....Panama Canal....Ft Lauderdale to Seattle...April, 2007
Amsterdam....Alaska....August, 2004
Veendam.....Carribean.....April, 1980
Island Princess....Mexico......Honeymoon.....October, 1973

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM
20,000+ Club

We had a small sewage smell problem on the Statendam - odors from the tub drain. Remembering to keep the stopper in the closed position except when showering fixed it.

We never smelled anything anywhere else on the ship - or on the Veendam or Amsterdam either.

One other odd thing on the Statendam - it was a time-delay flush! We had to wait anywhere from 5 to maybe 30 seconds after pushing the button before it would flush. It seemed to be longer when we were in port. Maybe the vacuum was worse then.
| Sovereign of the Seas 6556 Bahamas 4/07 | STATENDAM 394 Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 | ZUIDERDAM 8021 Eastern Caribbean 12/07 | AMSTERDAM 3385 Panama Canal transit 4/08 | EURODAM 4130 Bahamas 10/08 | NOORDAM 8009 Southern Caribbean 12/08 | NOORDAM 4178 Southern Caribbean 12/09 | NIEUW AMSTERDAM 8057 Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 | RYNDAM 394 Western Caribbean 12/10 | VEENDAM 418 Bermuda 10/11 | MAASDAM 404 3/12 | PRINSENDAM 303 Trans-Atlantic 5/13 | Disney Dream 10508 Bahamas 11/13 | Eurodam 4094 8/14

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Guess Who I Saw Walking The Promenade Deck?

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I must be missing something but

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams62 View Post
who could that be?
I've never smelled anything like that on any cruise ship. Kind of gross, huh? I've heard of it happening, and certainly people complain about it, so it must happen but call me crazy, but never to me. I must be careful here. I am sure it happens, just not to me. I don't want to be flamed here.

Old September 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

There was a *slight* sewer type odor emanating from the toilet area on the Westerdam a few times on our cruise, but it wasn't bad enough to complain about. I've smelled worse in our bathrooms at home after the DH & DS used them.

Also when our septic tank failed. Yuck.

**Sailed the Westerdam 5-31-09 to Alaska**

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
10,000+ Club

I cruise all mass market cruise lines and do a tremendous amount of walking, while onboard. Keep on walking and sooner or later, chances are, one is going to find a stink spot, any cruise line, any ship, any age. When that happens, just keep on walking.

All plumbing, everywhere, eventually has issues. Hotel and cruise line plumbing has more issues than the typical home because guests/passengers put all sorts of things in the loo.

Who always dresses for dinner and does not notice what you are wearing, unless there is a pineapple on your head.

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think that the Oosterdam is used primary for the Mexican cruises. I know that there were some complaints on the "S classes",but not the Vista class.

CRUISES
Carnival Fascination (3 day Bahama cruise) 2001
MV Columbia (7 day back to back Alaskan inside passage cruise) 2002
Oosterdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2004
Westerdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2005
Carnival Miracle (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2006
Maasdam (10 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2007
Maasdam (14 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (7 day Key West and Bahamas cruise) 2009
Carnival Triumph (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) April 2010
Maasdam (11 day Southern Caribbean cruise) December 2010
Carnival Dream (7 day Western Caribbean) September 2011
Peru! Lima to Machu Picchu April 2012!
Carnival Elation (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) June 2013

Old September 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
5,000+ Club

Cool

We book OV cabins on the lower decks & have occasionally smelled sewage in the hallways when they are pumping out the ships holding tank in port, on HAL & other cruise lines....But it usually does not last & can't be helped, since your toilet & bathroom water is not pumped overboard..All waste goes into special Holding tanks..When our own boat holding tank was pumped out, there was always an odor..

Once had a leak in our cabin from a broken pipe down the line, but HAL took care of it immediately..

As Hammy says all ships occasionally have sewage smells..We've never smelled it in a Hotel though...

Betty

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I guess it depends on how many times you've cruised as if, or when you'll run into the sewage smell. We unfortunately have noticed it on two different HAL ships. the first time on the Statendam. It seemed to be only on two decks and mostly in the aft sections. On the Ryndam it was all over the ship. The staff in the front office hated the sewage smell as much as the passengers. It lasted about four days. We have cruised many other times on the Statendam and Ryndam and they have been sewage smell free. We have never had the sewage smell on the other HAL ships. Maybe we we're lucky. Take care.

Old September 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Had it once on the Zuiderdam on deck 3 near the main stairs...it lasted for 5 days of a 7-day cruise, but was mild, not overwhelming, and pretty much isolated to a 20-foot section of the starboard hall as you passed the public restroom. The next time I cruised on Zuiderdam, it wasn't there anymore, nor was it on Noordam last year. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
5,000+ Club

We've only had one instance of a sewer problem on a cruise and that was on the Ryndam. She was, at that time, only on her fourth cruise and they were still working out some problems. They literally tore our bathroom apart to get to a leaking pipe and we had no problems after that. I don't recall any other significant problem.

"If not now, when?"

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

All modern cruise ships have the same sewage system and all cruise ships have the same problem. It does not matter if the ship is new or old. Someone always seems to try to flush a phone book down the toilet and then wonders why the system does not want to work. The problem exists on all cruise lines.

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
Had it once on the Zuiderdam on deck 3 near the main stairs...it lasted for 5 days of a 7-day cruise, but was mild, not overwhelming, and pretty much isolated to a 20-foot section of the starboard hall as you passed the public restroom. The next time I cruised on Zuiderdam, it wasn't there anymore, nor was it on Noordam last year. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
zackiwdawg got a question for you. Can you send me photos of your cabin(s) They would be used on the following link to show what the staterooms/cabins look like. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/ IF yes, send them to my email below.

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

HAL Menus (All Dining Venues), Daily Explorers, HAL Kids Club and More http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Roll Call
Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 7 2014 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886081

Roll Call 4 Day Pacific Coastal Noordam May 5 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2092697
Roll Call
Alaska Inside Passage Noordam May 9 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019620
Roll Call
Alaska Inside Passage Noordam May 16 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2022226

Past Cruises
:
Brindisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-Caribbean (S) Mar 12