London Travelcard or Oyster card

But as with Apple Pay, only if the underlying card would work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What I discovered this morning taking the underground from Heathrow to Central London was that the Visa card I had loaded did not work but that a MasterCard I had loaded did work. I used Apple Pay from my Apple Watch. Pretty neat. Also it is true that you don't have to have an internet connection. Next trip on the tube I will try my AMEX and see if that works.

If the contactless methods one is carrying don't work, is it terribly inconvenient or time consuming to find a staffed booth to pay manually? I'm trying to figure out how much time to allow for a trip from Greenwich to Heathrow and I assume it will take longer (and cost more) if we can't use the contactless machines. Thanks.

I really suggest buying an Oyster card. As stated above you pay a 5GBP deposit plus, say, £20 and that will work on all public transport, including some river boats. At the end, you can get your deposit and any unused cash back.

Note that each member of your party will need a card of their own. You cannot "tap" two people in on the same card. I assume the same applies to contactless credit cards.

Note that each member of your party will need an Oyster card of their own. You cannot "tap" two people in on the same card. I assume the same applies to contactless credit cards.

Yes, this is true. However with contactless Credit or Debit cards whilst you need two separate Credit and or Debit cards, it does not matter whose name the cards are in. In this way a person with two bank cards can pay once for themselves on one card and once for their companion on their other bank card. This works well with me and my daughter who is old enough to be full fare but young enough not to have a bank account.

Regards John

Yes, this is true. However with contactless Credit or Debit cards whilst you need two separate Credit and or Debit cards, it does not matter whose name the cards are in. In this way a person with two bank cards can pay once for themselves on one card and once for their companion on their other bank card. This works well with me and my daughter who is old enough to be full fare but young enough not to have a bank account.

Regards John

John

Do you know if 'Additional cardholders' can use their card as well as the 'cardholder' at the same time. We will be in London in October and normally use our Oyster cards, but was thinking about going over to using our contactless Credit Cards. I'm the account holder, but my wife has an additional card in her name. Just wandered if they would both work as they are the same account. We're from the UK and they're Mastercards.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

John

Do you know if 'Additional cardholders' can use their card as well as the 'cardholder' at the same time. We will be in London in October and normally use our Oyster cards, but was thinking about going over to using our contactless Credit Cards. I'm the account holder, but my wife has an additional card in her name. Just wandered if they would both work as they are the same account. We're from the UK and they're Mastercards.

Just guessing on this but would think the system would identify them as two different cards and it would work. I am thinking you get a credit card or bank statement with it split into two sections; cardholder and second cardholder then an amalgamated grand total.

Regards John

Just guessing on this but would think the system would identify them as two different cards and it would work. I am thinking you get a credit card or bank statement with it split into two sections; cardholder and second cardholder then an amalgamated grand total.

Regards John

Thanks John.

Regards John

That's not the case with our CC's. We get one statement and both cards have the same numbers.

This once gave my father problems when his cards were stolen on a Friday in France. He promptly cancelled them, assuming that his wife's card would still work. It didn't, and since the banks in France were closed for the weekend, they had to rely on the generosity of the hotel where they were staying. I always make sure that my DW and I are carrying cards from different issuers.

Yes, policies vary between issuers - some additional cards are identically numbered, some unique. No idea why!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Possibly to eliminate problems like Bob's father had and also to eliminate arguments between partners on who spent what. A lady at work once mentioned she bought an expensive pair of shoes and asked the retailer to take half the payment on two separate cards to massage down the extravagance.

Regards John

Just back. Oyster card saves you money. It is easy. Go to any tube station, buy an oyster card for 5 pounds plus put some money on it. Daily max when using an oyster card is 6.6 pounds using train and buses. Max is 4.5 if you only use buses. For a single bus ride it is 1.5 for a single tube ride, it is 2.5. After your last ride, cash in your oyster card.