Just got back from British Isles cruise - any questions?

We recently returned from our 12-night British Isles cruise. We departed on May 22 and returned on June 3. We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas and visited the following ports: Amsterdam, Dover, Edinburgh, Invergorden/Inverness/Loch Ness, Greenock/Glasgow, Dublin, and St. Peter Port.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the ship or the ports of call. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

I am doing a similar cruise on Celebrity. What type of excursion did you do in St. Peter Port?

Since St. Peter Port was our last port of call, we kept it simple and decided to walk around town. While planning the cruise, nothing really "jumped out" at us as an activity to do there. I had considered Annette Henry Tours, but after contacting her, I learned that I needed to create my own tour group, which I wasn't interested in doing.

We tendered to the port, which took about 10-15 minutes. The town is located right at the port and there are people there handing out detailed maps. Within walking distance, there are many shops, cafes, and restaurants lining the winding streets. Other than the castle, no other major attractions are within walking distance. Unlike some of the other ports, this one wasn't real intense, but rather more relaxing, which was enjoyable for the end of the cruise.

What did you do in Dublin ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were docked in Dublin and the cruise port is Industrial. We took a cab to near Grafton Street, which cost about 28 euro. I say "near" because there is a lot of construction in this area and our cab driver informed us that it's been going on for the past 3 years and is scheduled to be finished in the next 6 months or so. They are building more metro lines, which he wasn't happy about since this would take customers from him. So, we got out of the cab "near" Grafton Street. We walked along this street which has shops, cafes, restaurants (including a McDonalds and 2 Burger Kings!) before our tour of Trinity College Library and Book of Kells. We purchased our tickets online and were able to skip the line of about 20 people who hadn't pre-purchased tickets. It was impressive and informative. I'm glad we were able to see this and would highly recommend it. We spent about a 60-90 minutes there. By that time it was lunch and we found a pub to relax, eat, and people watch. After that, we moseyed along Grafton Street and cross streets, stopping at shops, an antique shop, and a couple pubs. We had planned to go to St. Stephen's Green, but never made it down that far. We then hailed a cab that took us back to the ship. Another couple that cruised with us (our "cruise buddies") went to the Guinness Tour and Temple Bar.

Since St. Peter Port was our last port of call, we kept it simple and decided to walk around town. While planning the cruise, nothing really "jumped out" at us as an activity to do there. I had considered Annette Henry Tours, but after contacting her, I learned that I needed to create my own tour group, which I wasn't interested in doing.

We tendered to the port, which took about 10-15 minutes. The town is located right at the port and there are people there handing out detailed maps. Within walking distance, there are many shops, cafes, and restaurants lining the winding streets. Other than the castle, no other major attractions are within walking distance. Unlike some of the other ports, this one wasn't real intense, but rather more relaxing, which was enjoyable for the end of the cruise.

Don't forget La Vallette Underground Military Museum is within walking distance - not far at all.

Welcome home!

I have a question though - 28Euros for the taxi? That seems really high from everything I'm seeing on the Ireland taxi website. I thought it'd be about 10-19Euros to the Guinness Factory which is farther away. Is that round-trip maybe? Or for a lot of people?

What did you do in Dover? The Castle?

What did you do in Dublin ?

Powerscourt Gardens

Glendalough

Trinity College & the Book of Kells - Recommend the student-led tour that meets right inside the front entrance of the college.

One tip: pre-book your ticket to the Kilhmenny (sp?) Gaol. We arrived at 10am, and the earliest slot they could get us was 2:30pm. Tickets sell out before noon, on the day of.

How was your weather at each port. Do we need raincoats and umbrellas?

You always need raincoats and umbrellas on a UK cruise. Our weather is very variable, although the forecasts can be pretty accurate for the short term.

What is the way to get to Edinburgh from cruise terminal.

Easiest way is to use the cruise line's transfer into the city. Taxi is next easiest. Train and bus require a little more work.

Kilmainham Gaol is definitely worth a visit IMO. Interesting that they're booking up so much now. We walked right in.

Did you see my question about the taxi fare?

Hello,

Thank you so much for this post. I might have more than one question.

Was the temperature warm enough for use of the pool on board? Will there be a fair amount of sun for laying by the pool?

Was the temp in most ports "shorts" worthy?

Thanks

Dawn

We will be taking the June 27th cruise. We will be taking a taxi to Guinness and walking to Jameson afterwards.

If anyone would like to share a taxi, that might help on expense. :-)

Dawnita

Welcome home!

I have a question though - 28Euros for the taxi? That seems really high from everything I'm seeing on the Ireland taxi website. I thought it'd be about 10-19Euros to the Guinness Factory which is farther away. Is that round-trip maybe? Or for a lot of people?

How was your weather at each port. Do we need raincoats and umbrellas?

Prior to departing, the weather forecast predicted 50s/low 60s with chance of rain nearly every day. We packed accordingly. We were pleasantly surprised to have some days in the 70s. It rained for a short time only two days while we were there. I would advise packing a raincoat/poncho and umbrella. Rain is common in this area and those items are small and lightweight.

Hello,

Thank you so much for this post. I might have more than one question.

Was the temperature warm enough for use of the pool on board? Will there be a fair amount of sun for laying by the pool?

Was the temp in most ports "shorts" worthy?

Thanks

Dawn

We live in Texas, and didn't consider the temperatures adequate for using the outdoor pool. Of course, there are always people near the pool on a sunny day. We even saw someone bundled up, laying in the sun. I grew up in upstate NY, so I can understand that, for some, this weather may have been a welcomed break from the cold winter months.

As far as it being "shorts" weather - my husband wore shorts a few days. I tend to be more cold natured, so I was comfortable in pants and a long-sleeve or short-sleeve shirt.

What is the easiest way to get to Edinburgh from cruise terminal.

Originally, our ship was scheduled to be docked at the cruise terminal. A few months before embarkation, it changed to being tendered and arriving in Newhaven. We chose to take the city bus to the Royal Mile. It cost 1.60 GBP and you need exact change. You can purchase for multiple people in your group - just tell the driver the number of tickets you need and drop in your money. You can also buy a day pass for 4.00 GBP. The ride was about 30 minutes long. Buses run every 10 minutes (less frequently at night, which is midnight to 5am). You can also go to the Lothian Bus website for more information.

Directions from Newhaven Port to Royal Mile: Once off the tender, walk to the end of the pier. You will pass restaurants on your left. The bus stop is on the same side as the harbor, across from an old church and Port O'Leith Motor Boat Company. Take the #16 bus from Pier Place to Princes Street. Bus reads "Colinton".

Directions from Royal Mile to Newhaven Port: Bus #10, 11, and 16 all drop off near Newhaven. To catch the #16 bus, you'll need to go to George Street, one street up from Princes Street. The bus reads "Silverknowes Place". When we read the bus map at stop, Pier Place wasn't listed as a stop. We confirmed with the driver before getting on the bus. The stops you'll see before Pier Place are: Lindsay Road, Annfield, Fishmarket Square, then Pier Place.

You always need raincoats and umbrellas on a UK cruise. Our weather is very variable, although the forecasts can be pretty accurate for the short term.

Absolutely agree with Bob!

The OP of the thread was lucky to catch a good couple of weeks of pleasant weather.

I'm in north west England, nearest cruise port is Liverpool, and yesterday where I am it didn't stop raining all day long. That combined with a cold wind made the day very unpleasant. The day before wasn't much better.

Please come prepared for cool, rainy weather, as well as dry, warmer weather. Layers essential! I'd hate for anyone to have a British Isles cruise spoiled because they weren't prepared for our weather here.

Today it's cool and breezy, currently 56 F at 12 o'clock midday. Next week we're expecting it to be fairly dry, day time highs in the mid 60s F.

Powerscourt Gardens

Glendalough

Trinity College & the Book of Kells - Recommend the student-led tour that meets right inside the front entrance of the college.

One tip: pre-book your ticket to the Kilhmenny (sp?) Gaol. We arrived at 10am, and the earliest slot they could get us was 2:30pm. Tickets sell out before noon, on the day of.

Handy tips! How did you get to Powerscourt Gardens? Did you do this the same day as Trinity College?

Absolutely agree with Bob!

The OP of the thread was lucky to catch a good couple of weeks of pleasant weather.

I'm in north west England, nearest cruise port is Liverpool, and yesterday where I am it didn't stop raining all day long. That combined with a cold wind made the day very unpleasant. The day before wasn't much better.

Please come prepared for cool, rainy weather, as well as dry, warmer weather. Layers essential! I'd hate for anyone to have a British Isles cruise spoiled because they weren't prepared for our weather here.

Today it's cool and breezy, currently 56 F at 12 o'clock midday. Next week we're expecting it to be fairly dry, day time highs in the mid 60s F.

I agree - we lucked out with the weather for sure! :)

Welcome home!

My memory could have failed me on that detail, but I thought that was the cost of the cab ride.

In Dover, we went to Dover Castle. We took a cab from the cruise port - it was 4 GBP. There was a shuttle, but it was more expensive. We purchased tickets and walked around the grounds, including the castle, the tunnels, and the underground hospital. We had lunch at one of the cafes. We spent about 5 hours there. Afterwards, we walked down the hill to White Horse Inn. We were told that it was oldest pub in the area. After people swim the English Channel, they go to this pub and write their name on the wall. After a few drinks and using their free wifi, we took a cab back to the ship.

How was the ship? We have been on Brilliance and Serenade, but from what we have read Vision is out dated.

Also, how long did it take to get off the ship in Edinburgh? We have a 9:30 tour, but with the ship being tendered instead of docked, my wife is a little stressed about making it on time.

Easiest way is to use the cruise line's transfer into the city. Taxi is next easiest. Train and bus require a little more work.

Kilmainham Gaol is definitely worth a visit IMO. Interesting that they're booking up so much now. We walked right in.

Did you see my question about the taxi fare?

How long did you spend at Kilmainham Goal? We are planning to it, Trinity College and Jameson but not sure we have enough time. Thanks so much for your information!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long did you spend at Kilmainham Goal? We are planning to it, Trinity College and Jameson but not sure we have enough time. Thanks so much for your information!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think we spent about an hour and a half. Some in our very small group were dawdling and wanted more time there. The tour/explanation of the jail in the beginning is really helpful to understanding it all. I think you'll have time but it will be a full day. I'd get to Trinity College first with prepaid tickets since the lines can get really long.

CruisePAC - Thanks for answering my questions. That's a lot of time at Dover Castle. I hope I've planned enough time there.

Dawnita - We'd love to share a taxi but we won't be on your sailing. Have you checked out your Roll Call?

If anyone else can tell me what they paid for taxi fare from the ship to Guinness, I'd really appreciate it.

quick question. we're doing a 12 day British Isles in Aug. Cruise is AMS to AMS with all stops in EU countries. I'm assuming that since we don't leave the EU on the cruise there will be no customs to go through on return to the AMS port and that we can walk off directly the ship to a cab.. I'm concerned since we have a rather tight (4 HR) connect to Schiphol for the flight back to the US.