Help! Cruise almost sold out so they say!

Honor

We want to book on the Oct 23 Diamond Princess sailing from Beijing to Bangkok (and want the Oct 19 land tour pre-cruise). I've checked with Princess directly, Expedie and CruCon. The only cabins left are outside (GG). Not a single suite or even outside with balcony. How likely is it that we can upgrade as we get closer to sailing? I thought we were supposed to be having such a terrible economy but apparently many of us can afford this cruise! Any advice on other avenues? Will other travel agencies be holding blocks of suites or cabins?

Book this cruise as fast as you can.

I am on the Bangkok-Beijing cruise next year March 26. This one was sold out about 9 months before sailing date. I'm glad we booked it in February with our choice of cabin and location.

As it is a sell-out, all hopes for an upgrade are about null. We'll be happy on Aloha deck right next to the Terrace pool.

I think Princess may take away all blocks from the agencies soon. They will have their own waitlist. Once they know they can fill the ship, I believe the blocks will be closed.

It so happened on our cruise. Was checking for availability on the Net one day, the next day everything was gone. Had the same hopes for an upgrade like you. Don't count on it.

Good luck,

Andi

I am somewhat amazed at the speed at which this cruise sold out. Personally, I booked this cruise in July (first time I EVER booked 15 months out), the same day HelenB posted her review of her cruise and the ports--her review was amazing and made me yearn to visit. I had been thinking of something different and the dollar was so down against the Euro and Sterling that it didn't make financial sense to travel there--alas, Asia was still holding the dollar strong.

As for what to do now, I'd suggest you try KimKruises; she had a group booking. I, however, don't think I would book this cruise now--at the prices I have seen on some on-line sites (e.g., *****, icruise) the inside cabin costs more now than the mini-suit did when I booked the cruise. The upside is that the following cruise starting in November, from Bangkok to Beijing still has some great prices, and cabins, available (although I don't think I would want to be in Beijing in late November--it's too cold).

But you aren't going on this cruise for your stateroom accomodations. You are going because of the itinerary. Be bold--book that "unacceptable" room, and quickly get on the waiting list for the room(s) you want. It will be an incredible experience.

But you aren't going on this cruise for your stateroom accomodations. You are going because of the itinerary. Be bold--book that "unacceptable" room, and quickly get on the waiting list for the room(s) you want. It will be an incredible experience.

Just an FYI. Princess will not allow you to waitlist for a specific cabin, only a category. I have been battling this since August, 2003. We were booked on one of the cancelled SARS cruises, October 2003. At the time, Princess did not have firmed up itineraries for 2005, only 2004, which were on the Royal Princess, with no aft balconies. We booked aft cabin, BC cat, with the express proviso that we would be placed in one of the corner outside BC aft cabins, after the cruises were released for sale. Princess allowed some TA to put a hold on all the aft balconies before they were released for public sale and we got what Princess gave us. Princess did not honor our request and now we are stuck unless something opens up in the next two weeks. Princess is now telling our TA that we can only waitlist a category. So even if one of the primo corner aft cabins become available, my chances of getting it are NIL. Princess certainly is not playing fair with us. And now they can't find the onboard credit they issued when they cancelled our 2003 cruise. One more thing and my DH will insist we cancel.

Archived