Advice pls. RE Celebrity going to Asia, Australia

poultry_in_motion

Celebrity recently announced they are going to put a ship in Asia-Australia for the 2006-2007 season. Itineraries are not nailed own yet (I called them). I have cruised Celebrity before and like them a lot. But I have never been to Asia and want this to be a fabulous vacation. What does everyone see as the pro's and con's of casting my lot with Celebrity vs. going on a different cruise line, e.g., I'm concerned about being a guinea pig their 1st year in this itinerary. I am probably not in the Cunard/Crystal spend range but might consider it if it were really worthwhile. Are the luxury cruise experiences really that much better? How's Princess? HAL? Help.

I'm a big Celebrity fan too - and can't wait for them to issue the schedules for the Summit to Asia/Pacific. I don't think you/I will be guinea pigs... Celebrity is a great cruise line and Summit is a great ship ...and the ports are what you make of them...

It's probably best to wait and see what Celebrity offer... I'm hoping they'll start in Singapore and stop at some great places en-route to Sydney or New Zealand. Japan/Vietnam also holds an interest for me....

I'm just scouting around at the moment to see what other cruises are on offer that cover this kind of itinerary, but to be honest I hear better things about food and service on Celebrity than Princess. Of course, if money were no object, I'd be booking myself on Silversea on a Far East itinerary, but I'm still waiting to win a lottery for that one!!

Hi,

Why don't you check Oceania's website. They are going to Asia in 2006 with their new ship, the Nautica. They are also offering two for one fares on cabins and free airplane fare if you book by February 28, 2005. We booked Beijing to Hong Kong and some of the cruises are sold out already. Just put Oceania Cruise Line in google and check it out.

Sheila

Hi,

Why don't you check Oceania's website. They are going to Asia in 2006 with their new ship, the Nautica. They are also offering two for one fares on cabins and free airplane fare if you book by February 28, 2005. We booked Beijing to Hong Kong and some of the cruises are sold out already. Just put Oceania Cruise Line in google and check it out.

Sheila

Thanks for the great tip!!!

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone considering an Asian cruise, I cannot emphasize enough how spectacular that part of the world is. I did a Tokyo-Hong Kong voyage for 14 days with Radisson this past Fall. Asia had never been high on my to-do list, but after having cruised every part of the world on my list, I went for it. And after having been, I am anxiously planning my next trip to Asia. Asia was more than I had ever imagined! Japan was fascinating, and China was undoubtedly the most incredible place I have ever visited. Sailing into Shanghai absolutely took my breath away.

As for having concerns about sailing with Celebrity during their innagural season in Asia, I would have absolutely no qualms. Being a "guniea pig" would be sailing on the maiden voyage of a new ship or traveling with a brand new cruise line, but Celebrity and the Summit are solid products and I have no doubt they will be a big hit in the Asian market.

As for the question in regards to the difference between Celebrity and luxury cruise products such as Radisson, Crystal or Silversea, I would say not to worry. Celebrity is almost up there with the luxury ships. I would have concerns with lines such as Princess, which while nice, are several steps below the "luxury" title. The main difference between a Celebrity ship like the Summit and true luxury ships is in the guest capacity (the Summit holds substantially more guests, which decreases the onboard personalized service) and in what is included in the price. You may end up paying less for a Celebrity cruise, but you pay for all of the extras which add up. A luxury line like Silversea is more expensive upfront, but extras like drinks and alternative restaurants are included in the fare. As a loyal Crystal Cruises fan, I have never tried Celebrity, but would not hesitate to. Look around and see what all the lines have to offer and decide what your priorities are.

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong. You'll love Asia.

Michael

Archived