Aged Hand-Cut Manhattan Strip Steak

cruiseguy456

Explorer of the Seas had this little gem on their MDR menu as an everyday alternative. If you like your steak Medium or Well stay clear. I had one medium rare (thankfully the Waiter "steered" me in that direction) and still felt it was a bit tough to chew. My table mates had ordered it the following evening and had the same feeling. I thought it might have just been me. The Maitre d stopped by and took our "Feedback" explaining that the steak was precooked and re-fired to order. Not sure if this was an actual true fact or not.

Has anyone else had this cut with the same or different results?

Strip steaks can be tough, if they aren't the right "cut"....aged...handcut....doesn't matter! If they're tough, they're tough. Hubby usually orders them at least twice during a cruise, and he's never had a tender one! Be forewarned!

I am not a big steak fan, but DH has ordered both the strip steak on the regular menu and the alternative steak that is available every night, and almost always all of these steaks have been on the tough side...some have been just OK on the "chewy" side and some have been close to inedible. He always orders them medium rare. I really don't know why he keeps ordering them. Maybe he thinks he is going to get lucky one of these times!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the Manhattan cut a couple of times always tough. You have to keep in mind it's probable neither Select nor Prime, probably not even Choice...:). The steaks in Chops, though they are usually pretty good are most likely Select at best. I have gotten lucky and had a decent NY strip from the rotating menu (not the alternative):D

Archived