India

bcf

There seems to be no forum on India. We are stopping in Mumbai (Bombay), and Cochin in Sept. on the Royal Princess and need help from anyone with info on independent tours. We do not want to take the ships tours if we can help it. Any help we would appreciate.

Thanks

I didn't realize this board had been started. I've been posting at the other thread for Africa, where we have gotten some info, Barbara. I'm not going to repost what I have posted there. I'm going to keep up with all three boards though, just in case. Dortmonder, I would love to hear about your trip, was it last March on the Regal? What is there to do in Salalah? Did you enjoy yourself?

Regards,

Shannon

There will be plenty of taxis and tuk-tuks waiting outside the ports. Very inexpensive, I heard of a woman who had an all-day taxi ride for about 20$ in Cochin. Have been on the Bangkok-Rome cruise last year.

Dortmunder,

Any idea's for Mumbai? What was there to see in Cochin?

In Bombay last year - we went by ourselves to the Elephanta Caves - very interesting and easy to do by yourself....We had been to Bombay before - so didn't need the "main" touristy sights....But you can do those also by yourself---bring along a good guidebook and tell the driver what you want to see. Yes, there will be plenty of offers to drive/guide you at the pier - they will bargain with you TO DEATH!!! it's very annoying...walk a little ways out...you will get a better deal..or just be very persistant about what you want to pay for the day... We took a taxi at the dock to the pier where we boarded a ferry to the Caves (you buy ticket right there at the pier - no problem) - there are guides at the Caves - you just tip them and they will explain everything...it was a very worthwhile excursion ---be prepared for lots of steps when you get there...you CAN pay to have yourself "lifted" up - but we walked. On the way back - at the ferry pier after disembarkation, taxis asked ridiculous amounts to take us back to the ship -- - they saw us as "tourists" ....we finally just walked back (slowly) to the ship - you can do it - it is not THAT far...it was an interesting walk. Wear comfortable shoes!!!

The "beggers" are very persistant and awful - India is NOT one of my favorite places because of this --they send out their children - it's very pitiful.....you MUST just say no or they will be all over you!!!!

In Cochin we arranged a set fee for the full day, at the docks, for a "Private" A/C van - there were 6 of us--well, we waited a bit until it arrived --it was a brand new "coach"--we could have taken 20 along with us (& divided up the price) --we had so much room...--We were brought back to the ship for lunch...and then went out again for the rest of the afternon (we didn't want to risk getting sick eating in India) we brought back food for the driver and guide - (from the Buffet) they were very appreciative! We also included more people after lunch---it was all very reasonable - I forget exactly how much - but cheap! It was a Jewish Holiday (Passover) and others were not allowed into the Synagogue --but we had the Rabbi with us - so we got in and stayed for the "service" --It is the oldest Synagogue and very intereting! We spent the Morning in that area -- the afternoon in the "main" part of Cochin - the shopping was cheaper where the "people" shopped - but different type of goods. I bought 100% Cotton "Caftans" for very little - they were nicer than those available on the docks. Guide also took us to a Temple near the main street - interesting.... Hope this helps a bit....Renee

Yes, I was on the Regal Princess last year. It was a fantastic cruise, cruising for 30 days is true paradise. At the beginning, you think this is a never-ending cruise.

Cannot help you for Salalah since we didn't stop there. I plan to repeat this cruise in a couple of years, hoping to see the places we missed last year. I’m sure you’ll have a great cruise too. For next year I’m booked on the Sapphire Princess from Bangkok to Beijing.

GottoCruise is quite right in her description of India. People are following you everywhere. You have to be well prepared mentally if you want to go on your own. That is why we took the Princess tours in India. In Mumbai we did the Temples and Shrines tour which was interesting, but I would opt for another tour if it is your first time in Mumbai. You’ll see temples all day but not much else. In Cochin we did the city tour. Couldn’t get into the synagogue, went to the archbishops home instead.

GottoCruise and Dortmunder,

Great information, Thank you so much. I was beginning to think no one goes to India, ha. My husband has actually been there for 6 weeks on business and he has told me all about the beggars. We will be persistant and careful. We have found a couple of companies that do independent tours, so we might end up going that way instead of totally "winging it".

Hi All,

I will try to post this at our Roll Call also, I'm getting better at cutting and pasting. I know Barbara's email is posted in one of these threads and when I find it I will email the proposal to her. I'm going to put my email in my profile in case any of you want to email me.

The tour they have put together is very similar to the tour the ship did for the Star Princess - described on page 24 of our Adventures Ashore book.

Deluxe Overland to Jaipur and the Amber Fort.

The prices for 2-3 people $894 PP

10-14 $811 PP

15-20 $797PP

Single supp. $202

Day One - Meet at ship and transfer to coach or van for city tour on way to airport. Help with check-in and board flight to Jaipur at 13:00 arrive 17:20.

Meeting and assistance with check-in at Hotel. Rambagh Palace - Dinner at hotel

Breakfast at hotel, Amber Fort on elephant, Lunch at hotel

Afternoon - Jaipur City Tour

Depart Jaipur 7:30 PM to Mumbi arrive 11:05PM check in Orchid Hotel (airport)

Depart Mumbi 8:55AM arrive Cochin 10:40 AM Cochin meet and transfer back to ship

Those are the basics. I will email to anyone who wishes to see the proposal.

I have some questions and will let your know when I have answers. One thing I have realized, is that the reverse itinerary with the extra hours in Mumbi until 11:00PM made the overlands more doable.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Shannon

Hi All,

Just wanted you all to that I now have a proposal from lepassagetoindia as well. The pricing is comparable. If anyone is interested, I will email the proposals to you.

Regards,

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

This is for persons traveling on the ROYAL PRINCESS, SEPT. 16.04 from ROME/BANGKOK. We have confirmed a couple of independent tours with a highly recommended tour company, De Castro Tours out of Cairo and are looking for others to join us while in our ports in Egypt. So far there are 6 of us going on these tours. The following is the information on the tours. If you have any questions please post them. We did tons of research and feel these will be much better tours than anything the ship has to offer, plus they are a much better price. These are De Castro Tours emails to us.

First part Friday 24 September 2004:

Arrival at Alexandria Port meet & assist and transfer to Cairo by the road around 220 KM , arrive Cairo by 10 .00 am , and start the tour by visiting the great Pyramids and the Sphinx and Lunch and visit Memphis return to the hotel for rest .

In the evening attend the sound & light Show

Overnight at the hotel

Saturday 25 September 2004

Breakfast at the hotel, and start the tour by visit the Egyptian Museum, and Mohamed Aly Citadel and then Old Cairo and transfer to Port Said to reach your ship.

Second Part Monday 27 September 2004

Meet & assist at Safaga port transfer to Luxor by the road, once reach Luxor start by visit the West Bank Valley of the Kings and the queen and Hatchpsut temple and then the Luxor temple and then transfer to Safaga to your boat.

Now I have few points for you

1) The first part I choose you to stay a night to take as much as you can from your trip as the time permit

2) The second part I think you can return to your boat you can also stay the night but you will leave at 9 AM to reach the ship in the right time as the ship move early

Of course this is not my first time organizing this trip but this experience goes for years I just give you this site to read some of my client's feedback

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1620962652&m=4823072467

Hope this will meet your requirement and hope to hear from you very soon, till this please accept my very best regards

Moustafa Mourad

Cairo Branch Manager

De Castro tours

Have a nice day from De Castro tours

Thank you for your e mail received yesterday, I appreciate your comments and questions and let me give the prices with all the including and this will answer most of your question and at the end I will give you answers for outstanding questions.

First part program

Group price 160 USD per person in double

This price will include the following :

1) One night in 5 stars hotel on Bed & Breakfast basis

2) The service of meet & assist at Alexandria port and transfer to Cairo and transfer from Cairo to Port Said all in private A/C van

3) 2 full day tours in Cairo including entrance fees and private A/C van and professional English speaking guide and lunch ( drinks are extra )

4) A camel ride at the Pyramids tour, and get inside the second Pyramids.

5) Admission ticket to the Sound & light show and transportation

Second part Program

Group price 110 USD per person

This price will include the following :

1) Meet & assist at Safaga port and transfer to Luxor, and transfer back to Safaga in Private A/C van.

2) Full day tour including entrance fees and private A/C van and professional English speaking guide

3) Lunch during the tour ( Drinks are extra )

Now separate answers....

1) For the rest in the first tour of the pyramids I am fully aware about your limited time in our country but I have my reasons for this as follow

a) At that day you will be getting up very early and spend 3 hours in the travel and then make a tour in the open Air Pyramids and Memphis where the sun is a factor ...... so my point at this stage you will definitely need a shower to be ready for the evening

b) I wanted you to stay in Giza area where is the Pyramids and Memphis and the sound and light and then you don't waist time in traffic

c) You can do the visit of Khan El Khallili on the second day where you will be in Cairo any way

2) For the return from the Luxor you will leave at 6 PM as this is the time for secured tourist convoy

3) Yes we do accept credit cards with 3 % extra charge but in your case this will be very difficult due to the limited time as you have to come to our office so bringing cash will be the best solution

4) Each couple can pay separately no problem

I hope I covered all the points and I will be more then happy to have more comments from your side as my role to reach the best tour in our country.

Till this please accept my very best regards

Moustafa Mourad

Cairo Branch Manager

De Castro tours

Hi All,

At this point in time, none of our Royal Princess cruisers are ready to take the overland trips. So I have communicated this to the tour companies. Additionally, I have asked them to put together ideas for day tours in Mombui and Cochin.

If anyone shows up and is interested in the overlands, just email me.

Regards,

Shannon

i All,

I have forwarded daytrips for Mumbai and Cochin to Deb, Pat, Barbara, and Stampede/Simon, is anyone else interested? I have asked that they,lepassagetoindia, expand Mumbai to take full advantage of our time there. Will let anyone who is interested know their response. I believe Barbara is also working some aspects of these ports.

With respect to Egypt, we will make a decision this week. We have worked with four tour operators who have been very patient and informative with us. If anyone is interested in their names, please email me. They have all worked very hard to accomodate all of our needs( Jay has specific mobility issues as a result of his stroke) and desires. I feel bad that I can't hire them all.

Am waiting to hear from ScalaReale with regard to the Port of Naples. In particular touring Pompeii. We have heard from the Vatican and are scheculed to do Scavi on September 16th at 10:45AM. This should be perfect as our transfer is scheduled for 2:00PM for ship transfer.

In Istanbul, apparently six of us may be touring together. I have emailed Lavant for prices and complications of transportation. He will work on tour guides for Ephesus upon his return from current tour. He is unavailable in Kusadasi, due to prior commitment with Brits.

Don't forget that Barbara has negotiated a great tour for first timers to Egypt as stated above or on the Egypt thread.

Hope everyone's planning is going well.

Best Regards,

Shannon

I'd so love to go to India.

For those of you who've been there, are the beaches nice? What are the best spots? I'd surely go for the countryside and marketplaces I think. How was the food? I love Indian food and cook a lot of it, but I'm sure it' sdiff once you're there.

Hi All,

This post is for passengers sailing on the Royal Princess from Rome to Bangkok embarking Sept.16th. Listed below are options of day tours for the ports of Mumbai and Cochin.

Subject: RE: India trip - October 5-7 - Port situation

> Dear Ms. Gardner,

>

> The cost for 8-12 people traveling together will be as follows -

> 1. Elephanta excursion - USD 30 per person.

> 2. Mumbai sightseeing - USD 25 per person.

> 3. Cochin halfday sightseeing - USD 17 per person

>

> We do not provide only Guide without transport.

>

> Yes, we do accept payment by credit card, but for that you have

to fax us your credit card photocopy and a authorization letter to

enable us to charge the

requisite amount at least a month in advance. But if you wish to

pay by credit card on your arrival, I'm afraid it will not be

possible as we need to collect the

payment in advance.

>

> With best regards,

> Anuj Negi

> Le Passage To India Tours and Travels Pvt. Ltd.

If there is any interest let me know.

Regards,

Shannon

Archived