Indian Visa

4774Papa

• 2 months later...
Shirley, Can you tell me more about the changes. We are Canadian and need to get ours within the next month. Thanks for any further info. Tracey

I can't remember where I read this information, it might have been in my local newspaper. From what others in other countries are saying, India might not be making changes. I don't have to apply until February, so have the luxury of hoping they do make their process easier. We'll have to apply for ours thru Toronto.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Shirley, Can you tell me more about the changes. We are Canadian and need to get ours within the next month. Thanks for any further info. Tracey

I just did some searching online, and apparently the info at the India (Canada) website IS the new procedure.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There's a question on the visa for India application that has me stumped :

Reference Name and Address in India

What did you put?

When we went to Goa a few years ago, there were some really helpful tips on the Goa forum on Tripadvisor. It took you through applying for a visa step by step. Be warned that (at that time) the photo had to be the size they specified which is not a standard passport photo size.

We are on a cruise in 2017 that has 3 ports in India and so will be applying for a visa for that visit.

When we went to Goa a few years ago, there were some really helpful tips on the Goa forum on Tripadvisor. It took you through applying for a visa step by step. Be warned that (at that time) the photo had to be the size they specified which is not a standard passport photo size.

We are on a cruise in 2017 that has 3 ports in India and so will be applying for a visa for that visit.

Thanks.

Will get my head around this in the new year.

Linda

There was a full page advertisement in a weekend Australian Newspaper advising that from January you can apply for a visa for entry to India on the internet.

I did not take too much notice as I am not travelling there but it does seem to be quite a simple procedure and you print off your approval and take it with for entry.

Suggest you check you consulate in your country for the information you need

We just received our Indian visas from Generations Visa Service. Process took a month.

Didn't want to wait until next year hoping for the new policy.

We were not sure how long the process would take.

Still, I hope they do make it easier to obtain a visa. We may want to go back in the future and see Delhi and the Taj.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the website for an e-visa : https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
Yes, you have to fill out the application online. However, you then have to print it out and mail it (with a ton of documentation) to the proper processing facility. The E-visa is only for those who are arriving in India by air (indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html).

For US citizens, “Cox & Kings Global Services Pvt. Limited*is the only authorized Service Provider for the Embassy of India and its Consulates across the USA for Indian Visa / OCI / PIO / Renunciation of Indian Citizenship support services with effect from May 21, 2014.” (http://www.in.ckgs.us)

The visa application forms are numerous, long and tedious to fill out. Initially, I had some computer issues with the online application form. Also, I had to call Cox & Kings once for clarification and spent about 15 minutes on hold. However, the person who answered was very polite and ready to help.

We used FedEX 3-Day Air to send the applications and provided our own prepaid FedEX 3-Day Air labels to return the passports. We received several emails from Cox & Kings letting us know how our applications were progressing through the system; it is also possible to check their progress on the Cox & Kings web site. We shipped the application documents on Friday, December 12, and received our passports back today, Friday, December 26.

I hope that everyone else is able to obtain their visas with no problems.

There's a question on the visa for India application that has me stumped :

Reference Name and Address in India

What did you put?

Someone called Meerkat on Tripadvisor has posted an idiot's guide to completing the application. Just search for visa on the India forum.

I'm currently helping younger family members with theirs at the moment.

• 1 month later...
We are sailing in a few days on Holland America's Rotterdam out of Singapore, Does anyone know if you can board the ship without purchasing the India visa and NOT get off the ship when it gets to Port in Mumbai?

No. It is not possible to board without an Indian visa. We wanted to take this cruise but could not get a visa in time. Hope it works for you

We are sailing in a few days on Holland America's Rotterdam out of Singapore, Does anyone know if you can board the ship without purchasing the India visa and NOT get off the ship when it gets to Port in Mumbai?

Unless you are an exempt type, of which there are not too many countries, You wont be boarding without an Indian Visa..there is an emergency type,

( I saw it last week when applying for ours..we sent ours a week ago , still waiting for the return..even if we had gone to the embassy it takes 5 days...)

but even for the emergency type I think you are too late now..

omg for you..:eek::eek:

for those asking about reference address ..they want one from your home country, and one for India

us as Aussies used the Royal Caribbean office in Sydney( or whatever cruiseline office you would use)

and the PORT address in India

pdf below is a screen shot of the reference section on the form after it was finished,its what we DID put on our visa( which HAS been processed)

ref adds.pdf

Edited by jannandjohn

You probably will have t kiss your cruise goodbye, if you don't have time to obtain the visa before you sail. Let us know how it goes.

RCL have sent out an email in the past 24 hours stating that they will not be allowing boarding to people on the relevant cruise without the necessary visa for India. They are also requiring 4 photocopies of the passport. Would assume this was standard for all cruise lines.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

RCL have sent out an email in the past 24 hours stating that they will not be allowing boarding to people on the relevant cruise without the necessary visa for India.

They are also requiring 4 photocopies of the passport. Would assume this was standard for all cruise lines.

Linda, we are going in May, so not yet received the info about 4 copies from RCL ..but thanks to you, I will be ready for it.:D

Edited by jannandjohn