Valley Church Beach -Antigua

cruizinisthebest

Just wanted to take a minute and comment on our visit last week to Valley Church. Originally I booked with Gordon tours and then decided to just wing it. Wasn't sure there would be much to see and wanted to make sure we had plenty of beach time.

We took our time getting off the boat (Carnival Freedom), so the port area wasn't crowded at all. Still, there were plenty of cab drivers available to take you anywhere you wanted to go. One driver recommended Valley Church, so we just went with it. What a good decision we made!

It's about a 20 minute ride from the pier, which gave us a chance to see some of Antigua on the way. Our driver, Deladen, was very nice and gave us a history lesson as he pointed out some things. Bumpy ride but fun! Valley Church is absolutely gorgeous. And I mean absolutely!!!! My favorite port stop of this trip.

I got a massage on the beach - $25 for 30 minutes, which was worth every penny and located just off to the right of the Nest Restaurant. I loved Valley Church. There were vendors there (which I absolutely have no problem supporting) but they weren't pushy at all. In fact, I never would have seen them or the massage hut had I not walked past it on my way to get a drink.

There is a bit of a drop to get to the water. And then it drops again after you're several feet out. But we had our 6-year old with us whose still learning how to swim and she managed just fine.

Also on pricing, taxi ride was $6 pp each way, the umbrellas were $10, chairs $5 each. We were the only ship in port, so it wasn't crowded at all. Just a beautiful place. I couldn't stop taking pics, which I will post a few when I get them uploaded. Deladen told us not to worry. That he would pick us up around 3:00. Sure enough about 2:45, a young man working on the beach told us our driver was here. He took us back and drop us off at the port where we did a little bit of shopping before heading back to the ship.

Can't say enough about how nice the folks were in Antigua. And that beach! Ahh! Beautiful little slice of paradise. Can't wait to go back. :)

Were there many people on the beach when you were there? Could you buy food from the bar? How were the drink prices? Most of all thank you for sharing these pics! I'd love to see more :)

There were other folks on the beach but not crowded. Nothing like the day before in St. Thomas. There was only the Freedom in port that day. Yes they had food at the bar. Pizza, sandwiches, wings, salads. I didn't have lunch but my husband and daughter did. I thought the prices were reasonable. Nothing more than $15 I would say. I had an island punch for $6. She made it strong! Lol. I believe beers were $4 or $5 at the most.

0e891d37-3f70-4f1f-84ba-19db7f0bd0b8_zps597ba39e.jpg

Edited by cruizinisthebest

• 2 weeks later...

To help answer my question--Our favorite Caribbean Beaches, so far, are: White Bay, Jost Van Dyke (before everyone discovered it), Sapphire Beach, St. Thomas, Lindqvist, St. Thomas, and Trunk Bay, St. John. We are looking a day at the beach-- not too many people, a little snorkeling and some tasty adult beverages. Is Valley Church for us??

Thanks

To help answer my question--Our favorite Caribbean Beaches, so far, are: White Bay, Jost Van Dyke (before everyone discovered it), Sapphire Beach, St. Thomas, Lindqvist, St. Thomas, and Trunk Bay, St. John. We are looking a day at the beach-- not too many people, a little snorkeling and some tasty adult beverages. Is Valley Church for us??

Thanks

Valley Church isn't a good option for snorkeling but it ticks everything else on your list.

• 2 weeks later...
Was at VCB 4 years ago and loved it and hoped to go there this year. But I have heard many reports of it being dangerous in Antigua and unsafe to travel. Did you hear of any incidents while you were there?

No thankfully I did not. I found the locals amongst some of the nicest and friendliest I've met on any island and I've been to many. We walked around the port area and even down a couple of blocks and had no problems. Never felt threatened or anything.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We went to Valley Church Beach a few years ago and it was very nice BUT there is a drop off that people need to be aware of. We walked out a little ways (not too far because DH does not swim) and I suddenly fell. The water kept rolling me over & over when I tried to get out :eek: I'm so glad my DH was there with me to help pull me out! I wasn't hurt--just really embarrassed. I saw this happen to a few others too so.......have fun but be careful. We're going to try Jolly Beach next year.

Do you know what the cab fare is to Fort James beach? Can you tell me more about it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

we were there in February, we went there as part of our tour on the Segways but I think this year we will just take a taxi there and hang out. There was some small restaurants/bars but nothing fancy - pure heaven.

here is my blog post from that day

I would guess the taxi would not be more than $20 each way including tip.

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2014/02/antigua-february-19-2014.html