Not a Cruising Question exactly, but.....

Ladydee

My Hubby is going to Japan next week and asked me what I wanted him to bring back. I know nothing about the Orient. For those of you who've been over, what are some good suggestions for making purchases over there? Any especially good buys? Thank you.... I'd appreciate your insight so much....

• 2 weeks later...

Japan is probably the most expensive country in the world. I've been there 3 times and have very few "souveniers".

You didn't say where he was going in Japan, but I think Kyoto has the biggest selection of things to buy. Traditional Japanese culture is very stong there. He could buy you a nice lacquered comb to wear in your hair (if you ever wear your hair in an updo). These can be found in any Geisha shop.

There are many pretty objects d'art as well as house items made from porcelain or lacquer. Pretty bowls, chopsticks, serving platters.

If he has patience, he can buy you a used kimono to hang on the wall. New kimono's are incredibly expensive - a plain one starts at about $2,000. and the ones I really liked were over $25,000. The used ones are a bargain but you have sort through piles to find one you like.

There's really not much else, as they have pretty much the same stuff we have here only difference is the price is 3 times higher there.

Jane

He can always bring back some high quality sake.

Archived