Magic In January

schinz

We have cruised three times in January with DCL. Once on the magic and twice on the wonder. There have been between 700 and 900 kids on the ship each time, the majority under 7. We have noticed each time that while the Mickey pool was packed, the adults only area had lots of space.

If you don't have kids you will probably not notice them very much. We went in January and found it great. There troysers said there were several hundred children on board and you didn't really notice it, unless you are at the Mickey Pool or sometimes the Goofy Pool. But if you stick to the Adult pool you will be fine concerning that and dinners aren't bad either. CC has an adult only section as well. It wasn't really that bad and the time you have chosen school is in so there will not be as many as a vacation period would have.

We went this past Januaray and are rebooked next January. It was full of kids. I was very surprised since most have just returned back after school break.

Word of advice is book a late dining seating, don't book deck 5 either.

I wouldn't even let my son in the Mickey pool after the first day. It was like a stream of flowing bacteria IMO! lol

Also, go right past the family beach, directly to the adult beach on CC, do not stop to collect your $200.00, just hop on the tram <G>.

99% of the kids are not in adult areas. I wouldn't worry, you can find quiet space!

Do not book a Disney cruise if you do not want to be surrounded by kids. Disney does a very good job at keeping the adult areas strictly for adults... however you will pass many kids to get to them. To get from your room to the dining halls you will encounter many other kids in the hallways and the elevators. You will have to step around kids waiting in line to see their favorite characters in the atrium. You will be sitting with the kids to watch the shows in the Walt Disney Theatre. It is a wonderful vacation for both adult and children, however you have to have the correct expectations. We love the cruise and have gone 5 times... I would recommend it for anyone except those that only want adult interaction. We just got off the Magic on Saturday. Unfortunately half of our day at Castaway Cay was rain... however, a few of the adults that we talked to that made it over to the adult beach said that the hurricanes have washed away alot of the sand and left that section of the beach very rocky. They recommended staying at the family side.

We were on the Magic this January for a 4 day. There were a lot of kids, but the adult pool and hot tub were not crowded at all. We were on this cruise without kids and had a great time--dance lessons, wine tasting, etc.

Of course, Disney specializes in kids and in the young at heart. But this cruise was a fun, romantic trip. And the weather (which had been rainy and cool for weeks prior) was spectacular.

I have been surprised at how many kids there are on a Disney ship in January (not during holiday break). That said, we have also been impressed by how nicely the ship is designed for adult only areas.

I would think if a Disney cruise is something you want to do, then January would be a good time, since there will always be kids, but even more during summer and holiday breaks.

There is an adult only pool, the spa is adult only and there are adult only lounge areas for the evening. And of course, the adult only restaurant, Palo, which we loved. At Castaway Cay, there is an adult only beach area. As was mentioned, the late dinner seating would be fewer kids than the early one.

Just an fyi... we found out this last cruise that you can only book Palos once per stateroom for each of their offerings. Meaning, if you are on the seven day cruise, you can book dinner, brunch and high tea once. If you want to repeat, you need to go onto their waiting list. So if you are planning an adult only cruise, know that you cannot do Palos every night. .. unless you are concierge, which I believe is categories 1-3.

Good question schinz,

The wife and I are treating our son and his family on the Magic January 28, 2006. The grandkids are 4 (grandson) and 9 (grandaughter). We are all going and booked side by side rooms. They were wondering the same question as you.

They are coming from Alaska so they have no idea of what to expect and we are looking forward to showing them an outstanding time.

Thanks for asking. Ron

Ron - we are booked on the same cruise that you are (Magic January 28, 2006).

When we sailed in January 2004, we re-booked while on board to take advantage of 10% and $200 onboard credit for the upcoming cruise.

We are sailing with my sister's family. She has two kids who will be 7 and 4 at the time of sailing. Our son will be 6.

We really enjoy January cruising and are trying to take advantage of being able to go while our son is still young.

Hi Kim,

It is good to find someone whom will also be on the cruise. I am sure that we will all have a great time. I must admit to be totally addicted to cruises and taking other people on their first cruise. I get the most joy out of watching their expressions as they first go aboard.

Looking forward to seeing you and your family on the ship. Ron

however, a few of the adults that we talked to that made it over to the adult beach said that the hurricanes have washed away alot of the sand and left that section of the beach very rocky. They recommended staying at the family side.

On our trip in January we too noticed the rocks in the water (not real large, but enough to be annoying). But most people (ourselves included) just drug a lounge chair into the water, sipped on our drink and enjoyed the lapping waves, beautiful blue sky and the warm air.

We lucked out, by the way. Their computers went down and we got a few drinks free (since everything is charged via your key to the world card).

Archived