Avalon or Scenic? Budapest to Prague (or reverse direction)

Kingofcool1947

First time considering a river cruise. DW and I have cruised a couple of times on Celebrity and Princess, and want to try a European river cruise.

What is the age group of Avalon or Scenic passengers? Same?

We are young early 60's and enjoy cultural, and historical enrichment programs and sightseeing.

So, we've been looking at river cruises: Budapest to Prague (or reverse direction). We would plan to stay a few extra days pre and post cruise Budapest and Prague.

What is your opinion on Avalon or Scenic? Viking is out, due to it's "pay in full up front policy."

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I have not cruised with Scenic, yet, but have cruised with Avalon.

In reading about and researching Scenic, it certainly appears to be a very different level than Avalon. Butler service for all guests, much more inclusive pricing, their very cool self guided GPS device - all of these are very interesting to me personally.

I would equate Avalon to a Marriott level experience. I have posted detailed reviews of my experiences here on CC. We have not considered another with Avalon since discovering AMA.

We sailed on Avalon's Expression Prague to Budapest in June 2013. Ours was the first cruise after the flooding. We loved Avalon. We are taking our second cruise with them in July.

I have cruised on Celebrity, and Avalon's bathrooms and complimentary toiletries are nicer than Celebrity. Rooms are 172sf which I think is larger than some other river boats' rooms.

Avalon's passengers were 50's to late 70's. Food was better than Celebrity. They have a pianist on board for dancing and listening. It seemed every afternoon before dinner there was some kind of "enrichment": beer or chocolate tasting, lecture on the locks, crew talent show, etc.

We stayed on the lowest floor "aquarium" room and are doing that room again. We didn't spend much time in it.

Good luck researching. I booked last year and they gave me a credit for tips. Don't know if that is still true.

First time considering a river cruise. DW and I have cruised a couple of times on Celebrity and Princess, and want to try a European river cruise.

We are young early 60's and enjoy cultural, and historical enrichment programs and sightseeing.

So, we've been looking at river cruises: Budapest to Prague (or reverse direction). We would plan to stay a few extra days pre and post cruise Budapest and Prague.

What is your opinion on Avalon or Scenic? Viking is out, due to it's "pay in full up front policy."

Thank you.

Howdy there Kingofcool1947,

We are Lisa and Gary LoneStarcruisinCouple and we are getting ready to take our first ever river cruise and for what it is worth Scenic Scenic Scenic.

Just that when one sits down and really starts pulling all of the pieces apart as to what one gets for the money spent,More for your Money with Scenic.

Yes most ships go to the same places but it is all those little extra's that makes one better than the other.

With the Limo transfers from the Airport either to your hotel and or ship depending on when you arrive and the same in reverse when you leave and get ready to depart. The Private Butler for all levels of Cabins not just suites. I agree some of us don't need the personal attention but like me with celebrating our Anniversary while on our cruise and with having breakfast served out on our balcony along with a Bouquet of flowers is a nice touch. At my age I can stand to get all those so called Brownie Points that a lot of folks talk about. With The Unpacking of suitcases and also the packing of suitcases and no additional charges all gratuities both on and off the ship are already taken care of. With about 90 % of the cabins having Balconies not those so called French Balconies, All Balconies have The Scenic Sun Lounge conversion that at a push of a button will enclose with clear glass wall as so not to be affected by the weather,A GPS unit called Scenic River view with an expert commentary, Multiple choices of excursions in each port not limited to just one, Restocking daily of Mini bar with Wine , Beer , and Top Shelf Alcohol,and on and on. So for us it was an easy choice plus also the fact that last payment for cruise isn't until 90 prior to sailing unlike paying up front add having to wait months.

Myself I am looking forward to also sailing on Scenic as with being an Australian Company a lot of the passengers come from Australia and myself having lived there know how those folks love to have such a Great and Wonderful time.

One other thing for us as we were lucky enough to have booked a Panorama Royal Suite and on the two new ships this year The Jasper and Opal they are 475 Sq Ft of pure enjoyable comfort.

Anyways I wish you the very best and any cruise whatever the company name X Y or Z is better than no cruise. So Smooth Sailings and The very Best to you as I know you shall have a Great and Wonderful time.

Warmest Wishes

Lisa and Gary

Lisa and Gary:

Paragraphs are your friend (or at least mine, when I try to read long posts like the above).

Italics are not. My old eyes need all the help they can get, and Cruise Critic's default font is much more legible than the italic you have chosen.

Thanks in advance,

You'll find that everyone tends to recommend the line they've sailed on. That tells you that you're pretty sure to have a good cruise regardless of which line you take.

Pay attention to the details that are/aren't important to you. If you're not a big drinker, then an open bar isn't a big deal. I suggest using a spreadsheet and comparing prices on an equivalent basis.

I'm a nerd, but once I found my preferred itinerary, I put a spreadsheet together estimating costs for how many drinks a day I'd have, tips I'd pay, extra excursions, etc. for all the lines.

For my next cruise, I ended up picking Vantage (after 3 Viking cruises). One thing that helped tip the scales was Vantage's offer to discount the entire trip by 10% if I paid in full a year early. There aren't many places where your money can get a guaranteed 10% return these days.

FuelScience

We met several Austalians on our Avalon River Cruises. They love the brand. Never sailed Scenic and I understand it is considered top shelf. Avalon has been compared to the Marriott brand of hotels, I would agree that that is fair.

Howdy there Kingofcool1947,

We are Lisa and Gary LoneStarcruisinCouple and we are getting ready to take our first ever river cruise and for what it is worth Scenic Scenic Scenic.

Just that when one sits down and really starts pulling all of the pieces apart as to what one gets for the money spent,More for your Money with Scenic.

Yes most ships go to the same places but it is all those little extra's that makes one better than the other.

With the Limo transfers from the Airport either to your hotel and or ship depending on when you arrive and the same in reverse when you leave and get ready to depart. The Private Butler for all levels of Cabins not just suites. I agree some of us don't need the personal attention but like me with celebrating our Anniversary while on our cruise and with having breakfast served out on our balcony along with a Bouquet of flowers is a nice touch. At my age I can stand to get all those so called Brownie Points that a lot of folks talk about. With The Unpacking of suitcases and also the packing of suitcases and no additional charges all gratuities both on and off the ship are already taken care of. With about 90 % of the cabins having Balconies not those so called French Balconies, All Balconies have The Scenic Sun Lounge conversion that at a push of a button will enclose with clear glass wall as so not to be affected by the weather,A GPS unit called Scenic River view with an expert commentary, Multiple choices of excursions in each port not limited to just one, Restocking daily of Mini bar with Wine , Beer , and Top Shelf Alcohol,and on and on. So for us it was an easy choice plus also the fact that last payment for cruise isn't until 90 prior to sailing unlike paying up front add having to wait months.

Myself I am looking forward to also sailing on Scenic as with being an Australian Company a lot of the passengers come from Australia and myself having lived there know how those folks love to have such a Great and Wonderful time.

One other thing for us as we were lucky enough to have booked a Panorama Royal Suite and on the two new ships this year The Jasper and Opal they are 475 Sq Ft of pure enjoyable comfort.

Anyways I wish you the very best and any cruise whatever the company name X Y or Z is better than no cruise. So Smooth Sailings and The very Best to you as I know you shall have a Great and Wonderful time.

Warmest Wishes

Lisa and Gary

I agree that this is very difficult to read due to formatting.

It reads like you have already have experienced Scenic yet you open saying you are going soon. I find that confusing, to write in such glowing terms when you have not yet been aboard.

Looks like a cut and paste marketing piece.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Lisa and Gary: Paragraphs are your friend (or at least mine, when I try to read long posts like the above). Italics are not. My old eyes need all the help they can get, and Cruise Critic's default font is much more legible than the italic you have chosen. Thanks in advance,

I was a proofreader and editor for Lockheed-California Company for 34 years and Jazz is completely correct. Italics is to be used only for the names of ships, names of books, and latin words, such as in law. Also, no need for the overly-large type font. ;)

Funny I don't see anything but normal "font type" no italics or anything. But I'm on the CC App. ;) huh I even have paragraphs when viewing Gary's long post. But when I go to the website it looks completely different! Very odd.

I know that Gary is truly passionate and excited about Scenic and gets kinda exuberant about things :)

Edited by JVilleGal

Funny I don't see anything but normal "font type" no italics or anything. But I'm on the CC App. ;) huh I even have paragraphs when viewing Gary's long post. But when I go to the website it looks completely different! Very odd.

I know that Gary is truly passionate and excited about Scenic and gets kinda exuberant about things :)

I only see normal type and formatting also. All opinions are welcome. I hope Gary doesn't stop posting.

Thank you.

Hi, I did my first river cruise, Rhine, about 4 years ago when I was in my late 50's. We cruised on Avalon and really enjoyed it. In June we are again going on a river cruise down the Danube with AMA. I liked the reviews that I had read about how they handled the flooding last year on the Danube - a problem that all cruise lines faced.

I'm sure Scenic is very nice but I am looking for a more affordable vacation - not a cheap vacation but for us, a more affordable. With that in mind, I tend to look at the cruises that fit our budget first. We also do not spend much time in our room - either out and about or sitting in the community area of the ship getting to know other passengers. I'm sure that having everything included and much more is very nice but I do not want my room price to reflect having a butler, unpacking and packing service, all the drinks that I could drink - it's just not for me. However, there is nothing wrong with having it.

I really like Gary & Lisa's enthusiasm and I have sailed with Scenic the new ship they will be sailing on looks superb. From my humble experience they will have a wonderful cruise. I have no problem at all with the layout and font type that Gary uses, these digital days to some extent has thrown out many of the so called norms. I am used to decifering 17th, 18th and 19th century writting beautiful script and indifferent scribbles were f's are used for an s and the other way round so clear and concise works for me.

Happy cruising all whichever cruise line you choose. CA😉

Hi, I did my first river cruise, Rhine, about 4 years ago when I was in my late 50's. We cruised on Avalon and really enjoyed it. In June we are again going on a river cruise down the Danube with AMA. I liked the reviews that I had read about how they handled the flooding last year on the Danube - a problem that all cruise lines faced.

I'm sure Scenic is very nice but I am looking for a more affordable vacation - not a cheap vacation but for us, a more affordable. With that in mind, I tend to look at the cruises that fit our budget first. We also do not spend much time in our room - either out and about or sitting in the community area of the ship getting to know other passengers. I'm sure that having everything included and much more is very nice but I do not want my room price to reflect having a butler, unpacking and packing service, all the drinks that I could drink - it's just not for me. However, there is nothing wrong with having it.

We started with Avalon as well and then discovered AMA. We have never looked back. We have been very happy with the overall quality of our AMA cruises and the attention to detail is excellent. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Our favorite cruise so far was on the AmaCerto on the Danube, starting in Budapest. We spent 4 days there on our own and just loved the city.

I agree about not being willing to pay more for things that are not important to us. That is why AMA is a good fit for what we enjoy. Great quality, excellent service and they provide what we are looking for, without the extras we don't care about.