Carry On Only?

janetz

After looking at the price of checking a bag on Delta and the size you are allowed we are going to pack carryon's only for a 9 day trip to Florida. How many of you only use a carry on and can you offer any tips for packing? Roll or bundle? Also if DH has a 22 inch rolling carryon can he also have a back pack, not overly stuffed, as "his purse"? lol Thanks ahead. :)

I've done a carry on-only trip for 7 days to Vegas -- it was do-able, but it's not high on my list of things to do again and the costs outweigh the benefits for me. While it made things a little speedier in the airport, it made things a little more stressful while I was on vacation......I worried when I spilled something on my clothes, or there was a change in my plans or the weather. Not to mention not being able to do any shopping ;) I guess with laundries on the ship that would make it easier.

Some people swear by carry-on only, but for me, the "stress" of waiting for my checked bag at the carousel is about the same as the "stress" of the flight of people trying to get on-board quickly before the overhead bins get too crowded. I don't like paying $25 per bag, but I prefer it over having to stress about squeezing everything into a carry-on.

After looking at the price of checking a bag on Delta and the size you are allowed we are going to pack carryon's only for a 9 day trip to Florida. How many of you only use a carry on and can you offer any tips for packing? Roll or bundle? Also if DH has a 22 inch rolling carryon can he also have a back pack, not overly stuffed, as "his purse"? lol Thanks ahead. :)

It has to be small so it could fit under the seat.

Keith

If you are talking about a cruise I couldn't imagine going on a cruise and taking one carry on and if it was and we were spending all the money for a cruise I would pay the price to check in one bag.

We cruised with carry ons only before. It was a 7 day on Carnival. We have VIP status on that line, so you get a FREE bag of laundry (wash & fold) once during the cruise. Worked for us just fine. Without some sort of perk like that, I wouldn't do it again.

Joe<------Likes FREE laundry.:)

Thanks all. No we are going to Florida for 9 days and will have washer and dryer available. But, how could I forget shopping! Rethinking again. We have the right sized carryons for Delta, going in the overhead compartment. :) Just wondering about the backpack too.

I dont think I could do a cruise with a carryon.

I've done a carry on-only trip for 7 days to Vegas -- it was do-able, but it's not high on my list of things to do again and the costs outweigh the benefits for me. While it made things a little speedier in the airport, it made things a little more stressful while I was on vacation......I worried when I spilled something on my clothes, or there was a change in my plans or the weather. Not to mention not being able to do any shopping ;) I guess with laundries on the ship that would make it easier.

Some people swear by carry-on only, but for me, the "stress" of waiting for my checked bag at the carousel is about the same as the "stress" of the flight of people trying to get on-board quickly before the overhead bins get too crowded. I don't like paying $25 per bag, but I prefer it over having to stress about squeezing everything into a carry-on.

25 each way, 2 bags. Trying to save 100 ;)

Thanks all. No we are going to Florida for 9 days and will have washer and dryer available. But, how could I forget shopping! Rethinking again. We have the right sized carryons for Delta, going in the overhead compartment. :) Just wondering about the backpack too.

Remember that the Post Office offers priority mail flat rate shipping boxes - I think a large one is about $17 for all you can stuff into it.:)

We did an 8-night trip to Hawaii with carryon only (21" bags and knapsacks). We had a washer/dryer, and packed all light/white clothes so we could use the washing machine as the hamper. When it was full, we threw in some soap and did a load. We sent our souvenirs home by mail, used the medium box, which is $12 or so. It worked brilliantly.

We did three weeks in Europe this summer with carry on.

We each had a 20" roll on and a "small personal item." My husband had a day pack and I had a small duffle with our electronics, medications and items we'd need on the plane and a change of clothes in case we had to gate check the roll ons.

I rolled my clothes and filled in any cracks with underwear and socks. My husband packed his flat but also filled in any cracks. I'm not sure either was a better way. Every top had to match at least two bottoms and vice-versa.

He wore his sport jacket on the plane (and never wore it the entire time we were in Europe).

I hand washed delicates daily and hung to dry in our cabin, we sent out other laundry as needed.

We didn't buy many souvenirs, what we did buy were small items that took up almost no space.

You're going to reduce what items you can take, and hope you can find enough overhead (or under seat) space for the bags (while other people are also wanting to find space for their bags), so save the cost of baggage fees on a 9-day trip? How much total do you think you'll spend on your trip? Can you not afford the fees, but can afford the rest of the trip? Hope you can board early. Trying to include a true carry-on bag as a personal item? Lots of people try that. Some get away with it. You may piss off some fellow passengers who feel they have as much right to space (planes just aren't made to accommodate that many bags for everyone). Good luck.

I mentioned this early. Your backpack must fit underneath the seat and not stick out. So it needs to be a small backpack, not a large one.

In the scheme of things you are not talking about a lot of money to check in one bag.

If this was me I wouldn't want to deprive myself of items to save a few dollars but this is you so you do what you think works for you. But the back pack needs to be small not a very large one.

Keith

Did the carry-on thing in Europe and Hawaii. Works well if you plan on rewearing clothes and/or do laundry. How it works all depends on your travel style. Don't forget that you cannot overstuff or the bags will exceed the limit set by Delta. We have expandable carry-on bags and in Europe, to accommodate souvenirs, we expanded them and then checked them in on the return flight. Frankly it is much easier to check in one bag and take whatever carry-ons you need.

We are really going to try hard to limit ourselves to just a caryy-on rolling bag and a larger carry-on tote for both our March and our April cruises.

For the Med trip it will be important since we are going to be traveling by train and trying to use public transport to cut down on costs.

I really don't see a problem in the packing. It's the trip back with stuff I buy that I am worried about. I'm considering a collapsible bag that I pack going and then use as a caryy-on coming back with souvineers, and let the other bag go on checked.

Each one of us will have this.

25 each way, 2 bags. Trying to save 100 ;)

Actually the second bag on DL costs $35 so if you do indeed check four bags (2 each) it costs $120. But trying to go from 2 checked bags each plus carry ons to just carry ons probably won't work.

compared to the total cost of a trip, though, this is a minor expense.

The problem with this philosophy is that if every "minor expense" was overlooked and just paid, then they add up to a "major expense." Questions on airfare savings in reality could also be a "minor savings" compared to the total cost of the trip, so why bother asking about savings, etc? I don't accept such illogical line of reasoning.

What about doing carry on and then checking one bag that you both share space in? That cuts the bill in half.

This what we "normally" do. We have a big 26" "spinner" which we check, then the one carryon and a small bag that we have the docs etc in.

Joe<-------Learning something on EVERY cruise. :D

I've done carry on only for cruises but my husband and I are both small people.

The airlines are cracking down on carry on luggage size and number of pieces. The first barrier is the checker in front of the TSA checkpoints who, especially at LAX, DFW and Atlantic, can be fierce. You can be sent back to the ticket counter to check bags and could miss your flight.

How much stress can you handle?

Wow alot of great comments. Our carryons are 22 inches. Delta allows the checked luggage no more then 62inches (length, width and depth). This size we have and is just a medium sized bag. This must have changed since I have checked pretty large bags in the past. The backpack will fit under the seat as it is something that will not be stuffed. I am thinking about checking our medium bag. Yes, I am always looking for ways to save a buck. :D

I've done carry on only for cruises but my husband and I are both small people.

The airlines are cracking down on carry on luggage size and number of pieces. The first barrier is the checker in front of the TSA checkpoints who, especially at LAX, DFW and Atlantic, can be fierce. You can be sent back to the ticket counter to check bags and could miss your flight.

How much stress can you handle?

As I stated earlier, our carryons are the size required. :)

We did carryons only for a five day cruise last year and it worked out fine. Have not tried it for a longer cruise. We got a delta American express gold card and get priority boarding and if flying delta get the first two bags checked for free. It was worth it to us.

Like someone said what's another $25 per bag if you are paying for a nice cruise. Although we always try to save ,money where we can.

I am always amazed watching people lift their carry ons, try to find the room in an overhead bin, then try to re organize the bin, and finally the flight attendant says you have to check it.:)

And then when they try to take it down, heavy, accident waiting to happen.

I check a bag, small duffle bag carry on, that I can easlly handle and small messeger bag for under seat

Archived