Very Confused! Haven and Free at Sea

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:45 AM.
67 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
I have been reading these boards and I am very confused about the perks and offers while staying in a Haven Aft Facing Balcony on the Getaway. My husband, sister and myself are booked into this cabin in November and I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

My husband and myself are the first two booked in the cabin so I understand that will give us the UBP, UDP, WiFi, excursion credit. My sister will be the third guest and has taken advantage of the "Free at Sea". Will she have complete access to all the Haven amenities? We have already purchased a dining package to match ours and will put a hefty OBC on the account to cover her drinks.

We just want to make sure that she has the same cruise experience that we do. Thanks
Meraux, LA
1,036 Posts
Joined May 2012
Everyone in your Haven cabin will get the Haven amenities.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol & Don

01-15-2017 Norwegian Dawn (Suite Cruise!)
04-16-2016 Carnival Triumph
01-18-2015 Carnival Dream
01-19-2014 Norwegian Jewel
12-08-2012 Navigator of the Seas
03-12-2011 Carnival Triumph
toms river, nj USA
1,983 Posts
Joined May 2003
same haven access, perks have nothing to do with that. She will not have any perks though only the first 2 but she will be able to use all the haven ameneities
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 1991 - Western Caribbean
Norwegian Sea August 2001 - Canada / New England
Carnival Triumph August 2003 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon October 2003 - Bermuda
Vision of the Seas - Northbound Alaska August 2004
NCL Sun - Thanksgiving 2005
NCL Crown - October 2007 - Bermuda
NCL Gem - New Year's 2009
NCL Dawn Thanksgiving Cruise Adrift at Sea
Spirit New Orleans - Free Cruise Dawn Adrift Credit - thank you NCL
NCL Epic - Thanksgiving 2011- 2 BR Haven - No Dead Engines This Time
NCL Pearl - 2 day Bahama Cruise - 2 BR Suite- We are now Platinum
NCL Jade - 10 Day Med Cruise -2 BR Haven- Turkey, Greece and Italy - Just Awesome
NCL Breakaway - 7 day Bermuda - Spoiled in the Haven
NCL Pearl - Walking Dead Sixthman Charter cruise 3 day - so much fun

Albany, NY
1,154 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
She is booked in your cabin, so she has all the Haven amenities. No worries about that. Enjoy your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Epic -- 1/18/14 -- Eastern Caribbean -- Haven 2-bedroom family villa
NCL Epic -- 3/1/15 -- Western Caribbean -- Haven 2-bedroom family villa
NCL Escape -- 2/20/16 -- Eastern Caribbean -- Haven 2-bedroom family villa

NCL Getaway -- 2/26/17 -- Western Caribbean -- Haven 2-bedroom family villa
1,859 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
She will have all the Haven access she will just have to charge her drinks and specialty dinning to her card.

The Haven restaurant is free and the wonderful for all 3 meals but its also nice to step out and try a few different restaurants.

You can give her the WiFi info and she can share those minutes with you but only 1 device at a time.
Aylmer, Ontario
186 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
The more I read.... the more I become confused. Does the Haven include UBP and SDP? I thought it did. If so, what is different about the FREE AT SEA for Haven? There is currently a CANADIAN AT PAR rate that excludes the FREE AT SEA extras.... but I thought those things were already included in the Haven. Can someone clarify?
538 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Haven includes UBP and SDP, but only for the first two people in the room. So the first two will get that, but they will all have access to the Haven.

Does that help?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises as a child with my family on NCL and RCL: M/S Sunward II, S/S Norway, Skyward, Song of Norway
Celebrity Summit (May 2002)
Carnival Miracle (2006)
Star Clipper (2009)
NCL Epic (October 2011)
RCCL Oasis (November 2012)
NCL Getaway (June 2015)
NCL Getaway Haven Aft Suite (June 2016)
Next up NCL Escape Haven 2 BR (June 2017)
NCL Epic (December 2017)
RCCL Symphony of the Seas (June 2018)
Belgium
78 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by TriMomma
The more I read.... the more I become confused. Does the Haven include UBP and SDP? I thought it did. If so, what is different about the FREE AT SEA for Haven? There is currently a CANADIAN AT PAR rate that excludes the FREE AT SEA extras.... but I thought those things were already included in the Haven. Can someone clarify?
By standard the haven does not include the perks. If she is third passenger under the free at sea conditions she will receive perks but not all. She will receive the soda package, not the UBP as this is only for the first two passengers in a cabin. Third, fourth, etc. do not receive UBP.
Aylmer, Ontario
186 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
The plot thickens....
If only the first two in the cabin get the FREE AT SEA then perhaps it's not as good a deal as I thought and I should choose the CANADA AT PAR package instead. I have been doing all my calculations assuming that all us would have the UBP. (This is a birthday present for my twins who are turning 21. They will want to participate in cocktail time!)
Tennessee
185 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
We just returned from a cruise in the Haven on the Escape. We had my 27 yo son with us. In the Haven, under the Free at Sea program, my hubby and I both received the UDP, UBP, gratuities and wifi minutes. The wifi minutes are by cabin, so our son ended up using those (be mindful of the rules.....if you don't sign off, the bill keeps adding up!) Everyone in the cabin had Haven access/privileges, so we could all eat in the Haven restaurant. (And if you are in a "Haven" suite that is not physically located in the Haven, you still have access, it is just usually a walk.) The beverage packages are atrociously expensive, so we didn't buy for my son, we just paid as we went, which was MUCH cheaper----I bought him a $100 on board credit certificate that he could use for drinks, spa, etc. We bought the 3 upscale dining package for him, so we could all eat together with no hassle. I also bought the spa passes (we enjoy the spas on NCL), which are about $20 cheaper if you buy on line before you go.
Hope this helps.....great insight on the age question by Two Wheels Only!
1,649 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by TriMomma

I think the OP meant her sister was taking advantage of the 3rd & 4th guest free perk when she stated "Free at Sea"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Julie

United States
147 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
The easiest way to think about it is to know that Haven is a cabin class. Everyone who is booked into a haven suite (up to 6 people depending on the suite) has access to the Haven, all Haven amenities, the services of the butler and concierge, etc.
FREE AT SEA is a promotion NCL has been running on various forms for... well, years at this point. Only the first two people in each cabin get the Free At Sea package - Gratuities, UBP/UDP (for those over 21), and SDP. The exceptions to this rule are the Internet minutes, where you can share your password with anyone you like, but only one device can connect at a time, shore ex credits, which are per cabin, per port, and 3rd/4th sail free, which obviously only applies to the third and fourth passengers in each cabin.
The Free At Sea promotion applies to cabins that are not Haven as well as Haven cabins.
If you are not in a Haven suite, you do not get Haven benefits.

If everyone in your cabin are heavy drinkers, you could purchase a UBP for your sister so you are all on the same "package" as it were.
If one, or all of you isn't a big drinker, you could shuffle the order of passengers in the room so the biggest drinkers get the UBP and the last person uses their card to buy drinks as they go along. Depending on how much people drink this could save you a lot of money.

I'm cruising with my mom next year and even though my husband and I are receiving the UBP, we're not getting one for my mom. My husband and I drink rarely (we're actually working on a dry year, which has been a fun experiment) and my mom really only drinks at special occasions. Buying the third UBP for her would be a waste of money, so we'll get her drinks as we go along and be grateful we're in a suite and not paying gratuities on the "free" UBPs we're probably going to barely use.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Disney Magic - 09/18
NCL Breakaway - 3/19

Previous Cruises:
NCL Sun - 06/27/16
NCL Breakaway - 01/17/14
NCL Sky - 11/22/13
77 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by Kfamilycruise
Haven includes UBP and SDP, but only for the first two people in the room. So the first two will get that, but they will all have access to the Haven.

Does that help?
I have SDP for first 2 passengers and haven't yet bought extra dining packages for the kids. However, since its 100 days to my sailing today, I went ahead and book the speciality restaurants for all four of us , do you know if I now subsequently buy the dining packages I can still apply them to the existing restaurant booking?
Helsinki, Finland
8,940 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Booking without paying in advance has nothing to do with how you pay after the meal. So yes, you can choose to purchase the packages for them before the first dinner you have already booked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: demonyte . cc3 ( a ) mailnull . com

Coming up:
Celebrity Equinox (C2) - 10 nights Southern Caribbean - October 2017

Past cruises:
Disney Magic (11A) - 5 nights Bahamian cruise - February 2017
Norwegian Getaway (M6) - 7 nights Western Caribbean - January 2016 (Last one with NCL in the foreseeable future, thanks to Mr Del Rio)
Celebrity Summit (06) - 7 nights Southern Caribbean (B2B) - November 2015
Celebrity Summit (06) - 7 nights Southern Caribbean (B2B) - October 2015
Norwegian Jade (SC) - 11 nights Western Mediterranean - March 2015
Celebrity Reflection (1A) - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - January 2015
Norwegian Jade (MB) - 7 nights Eastern Med: Adriatic, Greece & Turkey - May 2014
Norwegian Dawn (S1) - 12 nights Caribbean Escape (Tampa-Boston repo) - April 2014
Norwegian Getaway (H9) - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - April 2014
Norwegian Jade (SE) - 8 nights Greek Isles and Turkey - July 2013
Norwegian Pearl (OK) - 7 nights Western Caribbean - February 2013
Norwegian Epic (BE) - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - February 2013
Norwegian Star (SJ) - 12 nights Caribbean Escape (Tampa-NYC repo) - April 2012
Norwegian Pearl (MA) - 7 nights Western Caribbean (B2B) - February 2011
Norwegian Pearl (MA) - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean (B2B) - January 2011
Norwegian Jewel (MA) - 5 nights Eastern Caribbean (B2B) - March 2009
Norwegian Jewel (MA) - 9 nights Western Caribbean (B2B) - March 2009
Norwegian Jade (SE) - 9 nights Canary Islands - January 2009
Cincinnati
2,221 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by bromleypod
I have SDP for first 2 passengers and haven't yet bought extra dining packages for the kids. However, since its 100 days to my sailing today, I went ahead and book the speciality restaurants for all four of us , do you know if I now subsequently buy the dining packages I can still apply them to the existing restaurant booking?

I'm assuming you didn't pay for any of the reservations? If that's true the answer is yes. We had 2 cabins with SDP, but to sit together, I made reservations for 4 for each one and they settle the bill when you eat. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Brooklyn, NY
1,443 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Knobhdy
FREE AT SEA is a promotion NCL has been running on various forms for... well, years at this point. Only the first two people in each cabin get the Free At Sea package - Gratuities, UBP/UDP (for those over 21), and SDP.
Just to clarify - The current offer is Excursion Credit. Gratuities are not currently part of the Free at Sea perks. I think they took them off in December or January.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The journey is the destination!

I've sailed on:
RCCL - Empress, Explorer & Enchantment of the Seas
NCL - Dawn, Spirit, Jewel (x3), Gem, Breakaway & Jade
Carnival - Victory
77 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Sanger727

The only one I paid for is the Cirque dinner but I made a mistake of booking this one first and so lost one of the SDPs on this booking (reduced rate for passengers 1 & 2) which means I will have to pay for the meal at Cagney's separately unless they subsequently let me pay in full for the Cirque meals and use SDPs for other 3 meals.?